British Speedway Forum

47 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

As much as I do not want Edinburgh Speedway to be lost, even the promoters felt that there was an inevitability that Armadale would go to housing eventually.

The new owner could not make the Greyhounds work so he will be happy to go.

Hopefully Edinburgh  Council will help Edinburgh out.

This seems to have been on the cards for years now, and as you say something of an inevitability. Lets hope the Edinburgh Council do step in and help but probably very unlikely.

3 hours ago, screm said:

Lets hope the Edinburgh Council do step in and help but probably very unlikely.k

Most unlikely, they've rarely shown interest in the past.

However, if you could hoodwink the council into believing that Edinburgh Speedway are inextricably linked to the 'famous' Heart Of Midlothian football club (maybe Scott Wilson could convince them), then they will be bending over backwards to help them as usual, butts in the air. 

2 hours ago, Thischarmingman said:

Most unlikely, they've rarely shown interest in the past.

However, if you could hoodwink the council into believing that Edinburgh Speedway are inextricably linked to the 'famous' Heart Of Midlothian football club (maybe Scott Wilson could convince them), then they will be bending over backwards to help them as usual, butts in the air. 

Natural order mate.

I cannot understand the indignation on Facebook of Scott Frame (who although a co-presenter of EM TV, is not an official representative of Edinburgh Speedway), towards Glasgow publicly criticising  Sports Scotland for  not recognising Armadale Stadium, home to Edinburgh, as “an outdoor sport facility”. 

He appears to believe that this issue should be initially publicised by the Edinburgh Promotion and seems to infer that Tigers motives are more to do with themselves getting good publicity, which I consider is rubbish!

Has he considered that the  Edinburgh Promotion might be inhibited from entering the public fray on this issue for fear of damaging their existing relationship with their current landlord, who in effect, holds the Sword of Damocles over them?

I get the feeling that Mr Frame, who does quite a bit PR on Speedway, is really a bit miffed that another colleague, namely Phil Lanning, has taken  the publicity initiative here.

Anyway, I welcome the Tigers support on the matter and hope that they ignore the pettiness of SF, as I reckon the vast majority of Edinburgh fans will appreciate Ian Beattie's  statement:approve:

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, cyclone said:

I cannot understand the indignation on Facebook of Scott Frame (who although a co-presenter of EM TV, is not an official representative of Edinburgh Speedway), towards Glasgow publicly criticising  Sports Scotland for  not recognising Armadale Stadium, home to Edinburgh, as “an outdoor sport facility”. 

He appears to believe that this issue should be initially publicised by the Edinburgh Promotion and seems to infer that Tigers motives are more to do with themselves getting good publicity, which I consider is rubbish!

Has he considered that the  Edinburgh Promotion might be inhibited from entering the public fray on this issue for fear of damaging their existing relationship with their current landlord, who in effect, holds the Sword of Damocles over them?

I get the feeling that Mr Frame, who does quite a bit PR on Speedway, is really a bit miffed that another colleague, namely Phil Lanning, has taken  the publicity initiative here.

Anyway, I welcome the Tigers support on the matter and hope that they ignore the pettiness of SF, as I reckon the vast majority of Edinburgh fans will appreciate Ian Beattie's  statement:approve:

It seemed to me that he was questioning the timing of Glasgow's statement more than the content of it. Does seem a little strange that the Tigers' spokesman seemed to have statement issued just a short time after the news broke.

Did Philip Lanning confirm if he'd asked the Edinburgh promotion for a comment before publishing the story, which would have seemed the reasonable thing to do?

No I think it was just a case of the speedway family sticking together . Sorry if whatever reason some get upset by Glasgow giving public support for another club , there's nowt queer as folk . 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

No I think it was just a case of the speedway family sticking together . Sorry if whatever reason some get upset by Glasgow giving public support for another club , there's nowt queer as folk . 

Exactly. Even if only for business reasons Glasgow will want Edinburgh to survive as long as they can. Some folks in speedway only know how to moan sometimes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Exactly. Even if only for business reasons Glasgow will want Edinburgh to survive as long as they can. Some folks in speedway only know how to moan sometimes.

Had it been the East of England showground threatening the Panthers , or Berwick Rangers putting the Bandits future in doubt , and we voiced public support , nobody would bat an eyelid . But because it's us showing solidarity with a potential problem Edinburgh might face , we must have an agenda . Pretty sad that , but no doubt it would raise the same suspicions if the steelshoe was on the other foot . That's just life in the Scottish speedway goldfish bowl . 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Paulco said:

Had it been the East of England showground threatening the Panthers , or Berwick Rangers putting the Bandits future in doubt , and we voiced public support , nobody would bat an eyelid . But because it's us showing solidarity with a potential problem Edinburgh might face , we must have an agenda . Pretty sad that , but no doubt it would raise the same suspicions if the steelshoe was on the other foot . That's just life in the Scottish speedway goldfish bowl . 

Do you not find the situation just a little bit odd?  Not the content of the statement which would appear to be helpful, just the speed with which it came out?

From recent memory, within that last couple of years Glasgow stated that by Edinburgh objecting to Tigers application for a Friday race night they were 'damaging their business', something along those lines, can't remember the exact wording.  Glasgow took the huff and decided they didn't want to race challenge matches at the start of the season or the Scottish Cup, a sentiment which I doubt Edinburgh shared.

Thereafter, seems to be no interaction between the clubs unless absolutely necessary, until the recent apparent thaw in relations, after the announcement of the opening challenge match fixtures.

Can we expect more friendliness now going forward?  John and Alex popping round to the Facenna's for tea and a scone?   Group hugs on the centre green before the first match of the season?

2 hours ago, Thischarmingman said:

Do you not find the situation just a little bit odd?  Not the content of the statement which would appear to be helpful, just the speed with which it came out?

From recent memory, within that last couple of years Glasgow stated that by Edinburgh objecting to Tigers application for a Friday race night they were 'damaging their business', something along those lines, can't remember the exact wording.  Glasgow took the huff and decided they didn't want to race challenge matches at the start of the season or the Scottish Cup, a sentiment which I doubt Edinburgh shared.

Thereafter, seems to be no interaction between the clubs unless absolutely necessary, until the recent apparent thaw in relations, after the announcement of the opening challenge match fixtures.

Can we expect more friendliness now going forward?  John and Alex popping round to the Facenna's for tea and a scone?   Group hugs on the centre green before the first match of the season?

Only someone looking for something that is not there would find it odd , but the more reasoned speedway fan would find nothing odd about it.

I am sure that most Edinburgh supporters will find the Glasgow input welcoming and it may well be that what Cyclone has said about Edinburgh having to tread carefully in what they say publically in order to not upset the apple cart with there landlord  may well be nearer the mark.

How this pans out who knows but given the timeframe Edinburgh will have options that I have no doubt.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

just hope and prey that you monarchs keep speedway at armadale.always enjoy my visits there regardless.it would be a shame to lose speedway to yet another housing development unless you have an alternative.best of luck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thischarmingman said:

Which makes Glasgows recent support of Edinburgh even more honourable and genuine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

Don't find it odd at all .Surely a thawing of the relationship would be beneficial to both clubs . A lot of mistakes have been made and a lot of silly nonsense spoken , it would be nice for both clubs to have a cordial relationship without losing that competitive edge when we clash on the track . 

Fair point but the number of meetings between the two clubs has a saturation point. With the now Scottish Cup, League Cup, KO Cup and League meeting, that is more than enough to see Edinburgh in one season. The potential is also there to meet in the playoffs.