British Speedway Forum

23 hours ago, snapper said:

When the goal for all speedway teams is to get new fans in the gate it does seem a bit of an own goal there is nothing worse than finding out that the guy next to you has paid less than you have for something 

the main reason I stopped going to Glasgow last season, why should I pay full when loads of people come in on FREE tickets ? ?

I have no objection to clubs using free tickets to try to get people interested in the sport providing they are not finding their way to regular supporters or the same people week after week. I want speedway and individual clubs to survive and done properly it is one way of promoting the sport.

In the end we all benefit if clubs can attract bigger crowds. The club becomes financially secure and bigger crowds produce a better atmosphere, which makes meetings more enjoyable.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I have no objection to clubs using free tickets to try to get people interested in the sport providing they are not finding their way to regular supporters or the same people week after week. I want speedway and individual clubs to survive and done properly it is one way of promoting the sport.

In the end we all benefit if clubs can attract bigger crowds. The club becomes financially secure and bigger crowds produce a better atmosphere, which makes meetings more enjoyable.

One of the worse outcomes of FREE tickets is when longstanding fans come through the gates clutching a free ticket and not wanting to understand the reason why the free tickets are used.

The worst case I encountered was when fee tickets were given to a Boys Club football team and with duplications being made we suddenly found the invitation had been extended by them to the rest of the teams in the league. In addition someone stood outside the gates giving extra free to existing fans. That was in the late 1998/9's  which resulted in about 700 kids running wild and a lot was learnt by us that night. As it happened it was one on the last meetings that year, so if any of the new fans wanted to return it would have had to being the following year, so it really had no benefit to us.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yoda said:

the main reason I stopped going to Glasgow last season, why should I pay full when loads of people come in on FREE tickets ? ?

i know what you are saying . free tickets will kill the sport off .@ Glasgow the free tickets are given out to various parties in the hope that they will attend . but all it does is they get passed onto proper ( ? ) speedway fans who would normally pay .the stadium may be full to the rafters all season , but a lot of supporters ( ? ) get in for jack and are destroying their own club .better off having a 3/4 attendance of paying geezers .. . its a shame they aint making money cos they piled a bucket load of cash into it .

but as you say , why go and pay when every other fan gets in for jack .waiting 4 the west end girls to chip in now .LOL.

not long to go to see wee dan back !

If "real" supporters are using the tickets, how do you explain the increase in gate numbers?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, yoda said:

Your prerogative but this defeats the purpose in enticing new fans and indeed fans who stopped going for whatever reason.

I know of no long term fans who abused this last season as we all recognise the bigger picture in what is trying to be achieved , but to say why should I pay because someone new is getting in for nothing is slightly narrow minded in what we are trying to achieve.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2018 at 2:57 PM, tyretrax said:

If "real" supporters are using the tickets, how do you explain the increase in gate numbers?

But an increase in gate numbers doesn't necessarily mean an increase in gate receipts if the increase is the number of freebies.

Though obviously it's nearly odds on that there are more paying punters in and hopefully they keep coming and are buying refreshments & merchandise.

The problem is when they get old and cynical like me and SO jarred off with the clowns in charge of the sport - but it takes a wee while for newbies to get disillusioned.

• Like 1

I agree that increased numbers doesn't equall increased gate receipts but if the number paying is the same then the increase is the freebies, making it a sucess.

Edited by tyretrax

just how long can it last tho ? all those paying customers will soon get p1$$ed off and stop coming until the freebies are done away with . .....  in years to come , it will be a lose , lose situation .

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the free tickets for newbies is carrying on this year. Hopefully the plan agreed with the monarchs works 

Great night at the Cairn Hotel in Bathgate for Monarchs pre season launch. All the riders spoke well in their interviews. Well done to the Campbell brothers for an excellent evening. A young team and hopefully an entertaining one too.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2018 at 10:13 PM, jenga said:

just how long can it last tho ? all those paying customers will soon get p1$$ed off and stop coming until the freebies are done away with . .....  in years to come , it will be a lose , lose situation .

for me the way 2 go is discounted tickets rather than freebies

even if its a fiver 

if you get someone to pay a small fee it shows theres a slight interest there to start with

freebies you never know what your getting in

• Like 2

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Tsunami said:

One of the worse outcomes of FREE tickets is when longstanding fans come through the gates clutching a free ticket and not wanting to understand the reason why the free tickets are used.

The worst case I encountered was when fee tickets were given to a Boys Club football team and with duplications being made we suddenly found the invitation had been extended by them to the rest of the teams in the league. In addition someone stood outside the gates giving extra free to existing fans. That was in the late 1998/9's  which resulted in about 700 kids running wild and a lot was learnt by us that night. As it happened it was one on the last meetings that year, so if any of the new fans wanted to return it would have had to being the following year, so it really had no benefit to us.

What boys club was it Dave ???

Good to see some action yesterday at press and practice track staff done a tremendous job getting the track in fantastic shape for the boys. Armadale still as cold as ever as well.

For the new boys Max and Joel were smooth and had no problems getting round unlike some riders you see struggle to get round the Dale and Matt got better and better as the session went on and looked to have the place sussed out by the end.