British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Panthers89 said:

Ok so say is Bomber just rode in the top league, averages 4.50, but didn’t ride the championship, would it fair that he starts on a 5.85?

You asked how is average is worked out, and I just quoted you how his average was arrived at whether it is a fair way to do things is another question  I also think if Bomber's average were to drop to that level you wouldn't be asking that question, as he would have packed his bags and departed knowing he was performing so badly for a rider of his standard.

10 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

Not hard to understand really , he has no championship average  this season but he does have a premier league average which then is multiplied by 1.3

Seems that Berwick are the only team who cannot resign a rider from the previous years team more than a month into the season.

Max doesn't appear on the Premiership averages on 12 July so does he have a Premiership average?

Lakeside couldn't use the Premiership average at the start of the season and since he has raced 0 Premiership meetings for Rye House what has changed?

1 minute ago, sparks123 said:

Seems that Berwick are the only team who cannot resign a rider from the previous years team more than a month into the season.

Max doesn't appear on the Premiership averages on 12 July so does he have a Premiership average?

Lakeside couldn't use the Premiership average at the start of the season and since he has raced 0 Premiership meetings for Rye House what has changed?

Yes, his premiership average is 2.00

Don't understand why some have to challenge every change a team makes and insist it shouldn't be allowed etc, etc same on the Craig Cook thread.

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have made changes to try and better there OWN paticular team for there OWN fan's , as long as no rules have been broken why do people have to be so negative.

Well done to both promotions on being pro-active in trying to improve things other's should take note. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

Don't understand why some have to challenge every change a team makes and insist it shouldn't be allowed etc, etc same on the Craig Cook thread.

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have made changes to try and better there OWN paticular team for there OWN fan's , as long as no rules have been broken why do people have to be so negative.

Well done to both promotions on being pro-active in trying to improve things other's should take note. 

aye , you cant break a rule that has not been entered into the rule book. the only thing that was broken was the trust between promoters about THE unwritten rule . loopholes . plenty of them in the wee book . 

31 minutes ago, jenga said:

aye , you cant break a rule that has not been entered into the rule book. the only thing that was broken was the trust between promoters about THE unwritten rule . loopholes . plenty of them in the wee book . 

The rule about no GP riders in the second tier was in the rule book for a number of years. However, the last time I've actually seen it in print was the 2013 season. Thereafter, it disappeared.

I see nothing wrong in what Glasgow did in signing Craig Cook. References to loopholes and unwritten rules smacks of jealousy and bitterness. Sometimes it's better to simply tip your hat and say, "well bowled", regardless of which team is involved.

• Like 5

i dont see anything wrong about Craig signing for a cl side . i just know for years it was classed as an unwritten rule , in the rule book or not . i think we were all led to believe that the only team Craig could sign for in the cl , was workington  as he rode for worky when he qualified for the GPs. . no jealousy from me , the rule changed and Glasgow took advantage of the omitted rule . . it should have been made public about the GP riders being able to ride cl . 

so looks like the Peter Kildemans of the GP world could be looking for championship teams next year .. 

Glasgows dream of having Greg Hancock in their team looks like being real deal in 2019 .

with the rule being dropped , it looks like one big league  in 2019 !

3 hours ago, King Jamie said:

The rule about no GP riders in the second tier was in the rule book for a number of years. However, the last time I've actually seen it in print was the 2013 season. Thereafter, it disappeared.

I see nothing wrong in what Glasgow did in signing Craig Cook. References to loopholes and unwritten rules smacks of jealousy and bitterness. Sometimes it's better to simply tip your hat and say, "well bowled", regardless of which team is involved.

How do my old fruit :D

The situation with averages is not hard to understand. At the start of the season –

If a rider rode in last year’s Prem and Champ then their average carried over to each league separately for 2018.

Once the season starts if they are in both Prem and Champ then they develop separate Rolling Averages in each League.

If they ride initially in only one or the other, then their average should they choose to take up a position in the league they have not started in, is their converted average (factor 1.3) from the league they are already riding in. The rationale would be that it is an attempt to reflect current form rather than last season’s form.

Things might not be spelt out clearly in the rulebook but that is no excuse for promoters, because they can always telephone the BSPA office and ask. There really isn’t a right or wrong in these average situations, but there has to be a rule.

You might think Clegg is fortunate to get a 3-point average when he was previously higher. But the flip side of that is Sam Masters who would get 10.5 if he returned to the Championship, but was only 8.57 in that league last year. He would very likely have been back in the Edinburgh team before now had the rule been different.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 6:54 PM, Al Stewart said:

The situation with averages is not hard to understand. At the start of the season –

If a rider rode in last year’s Prem and Champ then their average carried over to each league separately for 2018.

Once the season starts if they are in both Prem and Champ then they develop separate Rolling Averages in each League.

If they ride initially in only one or the other, then their average should they choose to take up a position in the league they have not started in, is their converted average (factor 1.3) from the league they are already riding in. The rationale would be that it is an attempt to reflect current form rather than last season’s form.

Things might not be spelt out clearly in the rulebook but that is no excuse for promoters, because they can always telephone the BSPA office and ask. There really isn’t a right or wrong in these average situations, but there has to be a rule.

You might think Clegg is fortunate to get a 3-point average when he was previously higher. But the flip side of that is Sam Masters who would get 10.5 if he returned to the Championship, but was only 8.57 in that league last year. He would very likely have been back in the Edinburgh team before now had the rule been different.

I agree, edinburgh are just playing by the rules, end of story.

Edited by GhostRider

Nothing against Glasgow or any other team but the sport is struggling with attendances and simply cannot afford to pay riders with the people that are going to watch......will need some radical changes next year to stabilise and prevent many clubs from folding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Nothing against Glasgow or any other team but the sport is struggling with attendances and simply cannot afford to pay riders with the people that are going to watch......will need some radical changes next year to stabilise and prevent many clubs from folding.

Why have nothing against Glasgow on the Edinburgh thread.

Surely you meant nothing against Edinburgh ?.

On 18 July 2018 at 6:54 PM, Al Stewart said:

I see Max has been racing well for Edinburgh since he signed as his average goes up 1.23 from 1st August.  How many matches for the Monarchs has he raced this season to see that much of an increase.:cheers:

On 7/26/2018 at 8:42 PM, sparks123 said:

I see Max has been racing well for Edinburgh since he signed as his average goes up 1.23 from 1st August.  How many matches for the Monarchs has he raced this season to see that much of an increase.:cheers:

This must be a mistake (the BSPA are not unknown for them!)

Clegg hadnt ridden in the Championship by the cut off point for the averages therefore his most recent average MUST be his converted Premiership figure - 3

It may seem a minor point now but wont be should a replacement or guest be required during August