British Speedway Forum

clegg , like every other rider has gone downhill badly since signing for that gashole team stoke, have to be a maniac to ride for them.

If Lawson has 50% of his old ability he should get plenty at home

i have to say he looks a mean , lean speedway machine . ready to go and blitz the championship. 

good luck to him . the monarchs and the local kebab shop !

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Who says we pay for their flights? This will be the same second string that rode for your team and flew in and out of the country every week then yeah? Did you have a problem then probably not? Move along.

Oh dear, have I touched a nerve? I think you’re missing the point, not for the first time and undoubtedly not the last.

Since the Facennas took over it has constantly been inferred that Glasgow pay their riders megabucks but the poor old Armadale Monarchs struggle by on a shoestring. That’s not really the case when you look at the riders you have had during the Harkess / Campbell era?

So in answer to your question I feel the same way now as I did back in 2015 about second strings / reserves being flown in from Scandinavia to ride in the second tier of British Speedway - it’s nonsensical, no wonder clubs are constantly battling to stay afloat.

There was a time when the second strings / reserves were almost made up of local(ish) based riders - now we fly them in from abroad.

Personally, I believe the formula back in ‘97 was about right for the Second tier - 3 heat leaders eg Carr, Eriksson & McKinna with 3 local riders in support eg Gould, Scott & Campbell.

6 minutes ago, Pep said:

Oh dear, have I touched a nerve? I think you’re missing the point, not for the first time and undoubtedly not the last.

Since the Facennas took over it has constantly been inferred that Glasgow pay their riders megabucks but the poor old Armadale Monarchs struggle by on a shoestring. That’s not really the case when you look at the riders you have had during the Harkess / Campbell era?

So in answer to your question I feel the same way now as I did back in 2015 about second strings / reserves being flown in from Scandinavia to ride in the second tier of British Speedway - it’s nonsensical, no wonder clubs are constantly battling to stay afloat.

There was a time when the second strings / reserves were almost made up of local(ish) based riders - now we fly them in from abroad.

Personally, I believe the formula back in ‘97 was about right for the Second tier - 3 heat leaders eg Carr, Eriksson & McKinna with 3 local riders in support eg Gould, Scott & Campbell.

Win at all cost attitude is what you said, your promotion have the same one so surely you have a problem with your club also? Personally don’t see a problem with either club nothing wrong with being ambitious and wanting to win trophies that’s the whole point. 

Need to get these foreign riders in though, nobody local to replace them.

Personally, I don’t think Glasgow have a win at all costs attitude - the Facennas are looking far beyond what happens on the track in terms of trying to develop the club / sport within the city.

How many times have the Edinburgh promotion had to get the begging bowl out after overspending on successful teams?

While I have no objection to foreign riders it’s got way out of hand. You suggest that they’re a necessity, how many do Glasgow have at the moment?

26 minutes ago, Pep said:

While I have no objection to foreign riders it’s got way out of hand. You suggest that they’re a necessity, how many do Glasgow have at the moment?

But how many locals do Glasgow track? The fact is that that by returning from retirement after 8 or 9 years, Willie Lawson instantly assumes the mantle of Scotland's number 1 rider. 

That's sad. Until both Glasgow and Edinburgh think seriously about how to develop the next generation of riders, the situation will only worsen further, and hasten the UK's demise as a speedway nation altogether.

That's the real problem, not the fact that Edinburgh are prepared to fly in foreigners. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pep said:

Personally, I don’t think Glasgow have a win at all costs attitude - the Facennas are looking far beyond what happens on the track in terms of trying to develop the club / sport within the city.

How many times have the Edinburgh promotion had to get the begging bowl out after overspending on successful teams?

Come on now if you don’t think they have a win at all costs attitude your at it. They may be trying to do these things also but they also want to win trophies. 

One at the moment but before the new regime took over nobody south of the border wanted anything to do with you.

Edited by Mr Blobby

20 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Really hope Edinburgh don’t make the playoffs now after that piece of average fiddling. Good luck to William, after all it’s not your fault and I would like to see him back and doing well, I just don’t want Edinburgh to gain the 4th play off place due to that.

There were new rules put in place this year due to the reduced fixture list & new averages was one of them. A rolling average was based on last 30 meetings at the start of the season & reduced by 2 per month. This is where some average anomalies may have occurred. We had Steve Worrall's average at 9.13 at start of the season, reduced to 9.06 in June then increased to 9.17 when he did not ride.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Come on now if you don’t think they have a win at all costs attitude your at it. They may be trying to do these things also but they also want to win trophies. 

One at the moment but before the new regime took over nobody south of the border wanted anything to do with you.

You know for a fact EVERYONE down south didn't want anything to do with us, I await with interest your answer. 

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Win at all cost attitude is what you said, your promotion have the same one so surely you have a problem with your club also? Personally don’t see a problem with either club nothing wrong with being ambitious and wanting to win trophies that’s the whole point. 

Need to get these foreign riders in though, nobody local to replace them.

But there's plenty of Brits who have not had team places due to foreigners replacing them! Whether they'd travel to Scotland I can't answer!

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

But there's plenty of Brits who have not had team places due to foreigners replacing them! Whether they'd travel to Scotland I can't answer!

Not this again. Is the suggestion that teams should have Brits in their team despite their being better options from overseas?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewmac said:

But how many locals do Glasgow track? The fact is that that by returning from retirement after 8 or 9 years, Willie Lawson instantly assumes the mantle of Scotland's number 1 rider. 

That's sad. Until both Glasgow and Edinburgh think seriously about how to develop the next generation of riders, the situation will only worsen further, and hasten the UK's demise as a speedway nation altogether.

That's the real problem, not the fact that Edinburgh are prepared to fly in foreigners. 

Has there ever been any news on the training track that Glasgow were looking to start, on the land next to Ashfield? That would be an ideal start in the search for local riders. I like the fact that both Edinburgh and Glasgow have teams in the NJL this season. Small steps I suppose. Both these teams (along with my own, Berwick) really need to concentrate on producing young, local riders, to engage fans. Regular second half racing, NJL matches and training days will all help. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JanAnderson said:

Not this again. Is the suggestion that teams should have Brits in their team despite their being better options from overseas?

I don't think anyone could argue that Jordan Stewart is a better option than Greaves or Perks though! 

24 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't think anyone could argue that Jordan Stewart is a better option than Greaves or Perks though! 

Seriously? Did you not see some of Perks scores last season for Redcar? I’d rather have Greaves or Perks over Stewart any day of the week.

1 minute ago, bloom89 said:

Seriously? Did you not see some of Perks scores last season for Redcar? I’d rather have Greaves or Perks over Stewart any day of the week.

That's what I meant, no-one could argue for Stewart! Disappointing to see the Brit with the biggest average increase last year without a team!