Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, cyclone said:

First of all we are discussing a CL club here and no one is advocating that the NL should allow overseas riders to participate in their league.

At Edinburgh, the supporters have had very few problems with the overseas guys recruited in terms of commitment.

Indeed in 2016 when we ran our final home match, due to previous postponements, on 21st October , a break of 3 weeks since our last actual race meeting, our 3 Germans traveled back to honour their commitment.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said of a certain English team member who threw a sickie, but was well enough to attend a social function  at his EL club on the same night!

Unlike the overseas riders who are prepared to commute here, we have great difficulty in attracting decent English prospects to sign on for us, usually citing our base as being too far for them to travel.

So what are we supposed to do, just employ any Brit who is willing to come, irrespective of their ability?

Well current & potential local supporters up here  would soon lose interest if we were compelled to track cannon fodder in the name of keeping all British riders in a job.

Oh and btw, our foreign guys do socialise after the meeting and our promising Aussie, Josh Pickering, stayed within a couple hundred yards of the Stadium with a local family.

 

 

Absolutely spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No hopers are difficult to quantify, but if for example if Joe Bloggs from Blackpool had a 5.2 average and desperately wanted a CL place then he should get one before a new European rider on a 5.2 does. Of course if it's Danny Smith on a 3.5 and a team has over five points left you wouldn't expect them to sign him and be way under the limit, Danny would have to miss out and wait for an opening and said Scandinavian would be able to fill that slot.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

No hopers are difficult to quantify, but if for example if Joe Bloggs from Blackpool had a 5.2 average and desperately wanted a CL place then he should get one before a new European rider on a 5.2 does. Of course if it's Danny Smith on a 3.5 and a team has over five points left you wouldn't expect them to sign him and be way under the limit, Danny would have to miss out and wait for an opening and said Scandinavian would be able to fill that slot.

 

if joe agrees to the wages on offer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dekker said:

if joe agrees to the wages on offer.

And if Joe agrees to travel from Blackpool every week to race for a Scottish club.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dekker said:

if joe agrees to the wages on offer.

Absolutely. If he refuses what Scandinavian rider accepts then tough breast, as long as they are on a par with what similar ability riders are getting elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

No hopers are difficult to quantify, but if for example if Joe Bloggs from Blackpool had a 5.2 average and desperately wanted a CL place then he should get one before a new European rider on a 5.2 does. Of course if it's Danny Smith on a 3.5 and a team has over five points left you wouldn't expect them to sign him and be way under the limit, Danny would have to miss out and wait for an opening and said Scandinavian would be able to fill that slot.

 

That's fine in theory. However, in the real world, 5.2 Joe from Blackpool may well have far less potential to improve than a new European on the same average does. Promoters, especially those at Edinburgh, look at the bigger picture and often try to sign riders who will up their average, not simply maintain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, stewmac said:

That's fine in theory. However, in the real world, 5.2 Joe from Blackpool may well have far less potential to improve than a new European on the same average does. Promoters, especially those at Edinburgh, look at the bigger picture and often try to sign riders who will up their average, not simply maintain it.

If said new non Brit has such a great chance of improving their average that just shows the original assessment has been set too low.....

The league doesnt really need new 5 point and sub 5 point riders

I would set entry level at min 6

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, cyclone said:

First of all we are discussing a CL club here and no one is advocating that the NL should allow overseas riders to participate in their league.

 

Yes, but it’s a huge disincentive for NL riders to see the CL dumping young Brits. CL clubs should be proud to show off the talents of Nielsen, Jacobs & Perks, setting examples for NL riders to aspire to, rather than ending their careers. Thankfully Stefan, at least, has got back.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2018 at 11:53 AM, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely. If he refuses what Scandinavian rider accepts then tough breast, as long as they are on a par with what similar ability riders are getting elsewhere.

this is the main thing for me

so many shout about brits before foriegners

there are a few things to considor cost,ability and attitude towards the club there signing for

if they only sign because they cant get another club and they arnt fully comitted then they should stay at home and wait for a place somewhere better suited

 

Edited by scaramanga
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bottom line for a lot of fans is that they would like to see their team win silverware. I don’t think it really matters to them where the riders come from. The promoters look at the points limit and what they can afford after the conference. Edinburgh’s promotion has always tried to build a team around riders who will progress and increase their average. Guys like Perks and Jacobs are unlikely to increase their averages and some positively struggle around Armadale. Why should the Edinburgh promotion give a place to a British rider who struggles at the track and may or may not be asking them to break their budget just to sign them because they are British.

Edinburgh are a track who usually stick by their riders for the season and give them a chance, unlike others who when things are going wrong after a few meetings make changes. For that they should be commended instead of fans of other clubs coming on here and having a pop at their team building. Why did Ipswich or Lakeside for example not sign the riders mentioned.

it appears that some folk just want to come on here and have a go at Edinburgh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that’s the Ausy Champs 4 rounds complete. Great battle between Tungate and B Kurtz throughout with J Holder taking the spoils today, the victor overall was Rohan and congratulations to him. Brady made a mess of the final again and finished 2nd with X Monarch, Max Fricke 3rd

Josh can hold his head high in such company although he probably wanted more. 

Commiserations to our friend Sam who had to pull out of leading into ht 1 with an ankle injury.  James Davies reared in practice and knocked himself out,  Sam could not avoid his bike. Hope both are not seriously injured

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2018 at 3:33 PM, DC2 said:

 

Yes, but it’s a huge disincentive for NL riders to see the CL dumping young Brits. CL clubs should be proud to show off the talents of Nielsen, Jacobs & Perks, setting examples for NL riders to aspire to, rather than ending their careers. Thankfully Stefan, at least, has got back.

Why show off a 2nd rate talent like jacobs who was going backwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×