British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, cyclone said:

Appears you can appeal  according to what John Campbell posted on the Edinburgh website:-

"As we attempted to leave no stone unturned in trying to get the endorsement, my co-promoter Alex even phoned UK Visa and Immigration and their official confirmed that Luke's situation seemed to fall exactly in line with the BSPA procedure, fulfilling both of the criteria for a discretionary endorsement."

Personally, I do not favour any discretionary changes being made once the rules are established, and I can understand that if Monarchs were successful, then it might be seen as favouritism, whilst the likes of Lakeside were denied their initially submitted Championship GSAs for Wajtknecht & Morley.

Likewise for the MC/BSPA to remain consistent, I would expect them to maintain their bar on Premier riders who do not already have a 2017 Championship GSA and whose 2017 Premier GSA is above 6.00.  In essence the likes of Nicholls & Kennett should not suddenly become eligible to sign for any Championship side now, including Newcastle & Peterborough of course :wink:

Should never be any discretionary anything....who ever wants it.  like you I hope rules are also not changed for other riders and teams.  

• Like 2

I think the main issue here is in the decision making committees make up.

whether there should be an ‘discretionary appeal’ process or not is by the by as currently there is one but the fact that team managers from 2 of Edinburgh’s direct rivals are involved in the decision is what leads to an accusation of bias.

can you imagine if Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte could veto a Man City signing that is the equivalent really.

As has been said if the management committee come out with a statement as to why the appeal was rejected with valid reasoning on each point then we can see the validity of it then but I would be surprised to see that from the same cloak and dagger committee that has a vice chairman who told another promoter to break the rules last year and yet wasn’t punished.

• Like 2

I agree the reasons for rejecting his inclusion should be made public . As MikeBV says , we were supposed to get transparency . If certain Monarchs fans console themselves by automatically blaming Stewart and Glasgow , then that's up to them , but the BSPA or whomever is responsible should explain themselves so that the facts are out in the open . 

• Like 3

He hasn't met the criteria so why appeal... especially when there are others out there  (Perks,  Greaves,  Clegg) that are available and do meet the requirements. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

He hasn't met the criteria so why appeal... especially when there are others out there  (Perks,  Greaves,  Clegg) that are available and do meet the requirements. 

He does meet the criteria to appeal for an endorsement hence why the Monarchs did. 

As confirmed by the UK Visa and Immigration agency themselves. 

• Like 1

Agree that an explanation should be forthcoming. 

16 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

He does meet the criteria to appeal for an endorsement hence why the Monarchs did. 

As confirmed by the UK Visa and Immigration agency themselves. 

The BSPA create all their own problems,just set a rule and stick to it ,don't have discretionary exceptions it just opens a can of worms as I have stated before.Virtually all remain fans want an Independant body to run certain parts of the sports. BSPA should issue a statement but that would also come if for critism IMO .

12 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Even with the backing of the UK visa and immigration that he has a case to be eligible to ride due to missing a round through injury that basically stopped him automatically getting his visa the BSPA committee still rejected it. 

Doesn’t come as a surprise with who’s on the committee, Godfrey the worst of the lot. 

This is where an independent panel is needed so there is no self interest. 

Mmmm...and you’s would know a lot of self interest  ,wasn’t it only a few years ago you’re very own Alex Harkess at the helm , some of the decisions made then were in the interests of Edinburgh so maybe a bit of payback going on :P. There should be no discretionary acceptions , same with the farce of trying to get Kennett and Nicholls in this League 

Edited by Taylorj

20 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Mmmm...and you’s would know a lot of self interest  ,wasn’t it only a few years ago you’re very own Alex Harkess at the helm , some of the decisions made then were in the interests of Edinburgh so maybe a bit of payback going on :P. There should be no discretionary acceptions , same with the farce of trying to get Kennett and Nicholls in this League 

What decisions were these Taylorj or are you making a sweeping statement with no facts to back it up 

3 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Clegg anyone lol

Ellis Perks might be worth a go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

Ellis Perks might be worth a go.

Anyone know the situation with Perks? Is he sold up and back in Aus?