British Speedway Forum

Well at least we would get a better standard in the sport if it was 50

Yes you would - its called the Premiership....

Back in the olden days, when speedway was second only to football,,, lets say the 70's. How did the averages work for team building etc.

and what about limits if there was any ?

I seem to remember the Diamonds crashing thru a paper 'under 50' banner, (or something like that) in the early 80's.

Team full of heat leaders if I remember Kenny Carter at reserve

Kenny Carter only rode for us for one season(1978) and he finished third in the teams averages (7.58). Other riders included, Tom Owen, Robbie Blackadder, Robbie Gardner, Graeme Stapleton, Rod Hunter and Neil Coddington.

I don't hate Lindgren Dandelion. Hate is a very strong word, and I don't even know him. I just think, and have done for a while, that a change would be good fo both the 'Diamonds' and Lindgren himself.

That is only my opinion though - I may even be the only person to have that opinion - but it is what I believe. :):)

I didn't mean you HATED him, I dunno, I guess it's just a term of phrase I use, I'm sure he's a nice person and stuff, and people can have whatever view of him they want, it's just I rate him so highly, I struggle to see why people rate him so lowly :P

Harris is going to Glasgow

I think so too, on a 8.26 average, bargain

• Like 1

1982 team ?

No that team with Kenny Carter was 1978. But you are right to say "1982 team", coz 1982 Team had Ian Thomas (Promoter), Dave Younghusband (Manager), Alan Emerson, Tom Owen (Capt.), Joe Owen, Rod Hunter, Keith Bloxsome, Bobby Beaton and Robbie Foy, I believe this was the strongest Diamonds line up ever. :lol:

1. Alan Emerson,
  2. Tom Owen,
  3. Joe Owen,
  4. Rod Hunter
  5. Bobby Beaton

These 5 were in the league's heatleader class

Keith Bloxsome was a high scoring reserve

Robbie Foy was our other reserve

I remember home matches went 5-1 followed by 5-1 etc but watching the team on away tracks was awesome.

Our promoter was criticised by some for finding loop holes in the regs to assemble a team of heatleaders but really in the far off past when this awesome team were on track every track we visited had a bumper crowd because of the talent in the Newcastle side, so why criticise excellence when you are raking in much more cash through the turnstiles?

I think the team building regulation averages we have now serves a useful purpose as we see closer scores and better racing than I remember when we were all conquering! But fingers crossed we operate in 2018 and we have a team like we had in 1982.

It's all a matter of opinion which Newcastle Team was best but tell me a better line up than the above team

• Like 2

No that team with Kenny Carter was 1978. But you are right to say "1982 team", coz 1982 Team had Ian Thomas (Promoter), Dave Younghusband (Manager), Alan Emerson, Tom Owen (Capt.), Joe Owen, Rod Hunter, Keith Bloxsome, Bobby Beaton and Robbie Foy, I believe this was the strongest Diamonds line up ever. :lol:

• Alan Emerson,
  • Tom Owen,
  • Joe Owen,
  • Rod Hunter
  • Bobby Beaton

I remember home matches went 5-1 followed by 5-1 etc but watching the team on away tracks was awesome.

Our promoter was criticised by some for finding loop holes in the regs to assemble a team of heatleaders but really in the far off past when this awesome team were on track every track we visited had a bumper crowd because of the talent in the Newcastle side, so why criticise excellence when you are raking in much more cash through the turnstiles?

I think the team building regulation averages we have now serves a useful purpose as we see closer scores and better racing than I remember when we were all conquering! But fingers crossed we operate in 2018 and we have a team like we had in 1982.

It's all a matter of opinion which Newcastle Team was best but tell me a better line up than the above team

Dan, for sheer points power I agree but my favourite team was (iirc) the Owen brothers, Robbie Blackadder, Phil Michelides, Brian Havelock, Tim Swales and one of a series of other reserves. This was, I think, shortly before the days of Ron Henderson and Andy Cusworth.

Its a long time ago now, but every match day seems to have been sunny and warm, and every opposition team in the NNL had its own big hitter - I loved Jacko especially ( I remember going to Crewe when they had Jackson and Crump. I hadnt realised how fast some tracks were!).

Happy days.

• Alan Emerson,
  • Tom Owen,
  • Joe Owen,
  • Rod Hunter
  • Bobby Beaton

my favourite diamonds team and year too i remember it well although i was only nine at the time me and my brother had our photos taken with tom and joe on track . Tom later signed it when he came to visit brough a few year back .our herors still to this day . Edited by diamonds7

My favourite Newcaste team was 2013..... ._. You can tell the age difference here xD I wasn't even anywhere near a thought in 1982.....

Dan, for sheer points power I agree but my favourite team was (iirc) the Owen brothers, Robbie Blackadder, Phil Michelides, Brian Havelock, Tim Swales and one of a series of other reserves. This was, I think, shortly before the days of Ron Henderson and Andy Cusworth.

Its a long time ago now, but every match day seems to have been sunny and warm, and every opposition team in the NNL had its own big hitter - I loved Jacko especially ( I remember going to Crewe when they had Jackson and Crump. I hadnt realised how fast some tracks were!).

Happy days.

That looks like the 1975 or 1976 team that you are meaning. '75 team (mainly) was (appearances in brackets) Tom (47) & Joe (44), Havvy (41), Ron Henderson46), Mike Watkin (37), Robbie Blackadder (35), Tim Swales (39) and Phil Michelides (36). John Robson (4) and Tony Boyle (1) also appeared.

The '76 team was: Joe O (39), Tom O (42) Ron H (27), Phil M (40), Havvy (10), Andy Cusworth (42), Robbie B (36) and Tim S (34). Also (briefly) appearing were: Greg Clarke (1), Martin Cusworth (2), Malcolm Davies (3), Gerarde Ellis (4) and Robin Dixon (5).

they said at the last meeting they would know in a fortnight so waiting to know if they are going to let us know