Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Give them a break. George is on holiday, and since he is the sole promoter (I suspect) now he probably needs a bit of time to be brought up to speed with the conference decisions (he wasn't there). No doubt there will be news when there is news to tell.

Sorry this does not stack up.

Clubs had to tell the AGM if they were running or ask for a few more days to decide.

If we asked for more time it would be strange to book a holiday.

As George was on the Management Committee and hadnt missed an AGM for 20 years it seems strange for him to book a holiday when the AGM is held.

Sponsors and season ticket holders want to know.

What if your wife/partner wants to book a holiday for next year. Do you keep waiting to see if we are running. What if you have been a spinsor and another organisation asks you to help. Do you say yes because it looks like the speedway is not running.

If they have been given more time then ask the fans for help. Several years ago they ran a grand raffle to be team sponsor. £50 a ticket every who buys gets there names in the program and one is drawn as the team sponsor.

Think it was the Tap and Spile who won

Supporters can also buy tickets

• Like 1

Give them a break. George is on holiday, and since he is the sole promoter (I suspect) now he probably needs a bit of time to be brought up to speed with the conference decisions (he wasn't there). No doubt there will be news when there is news to tell.

A break?? The PR is woeful at best and virtually none existent!! And its has been for years now. Treat your customers with apathy and they will just shop elsewhere or not buy the product. Its not much to ask for a club to keep fans updated really, ( even during the season) the falcons and Eagles for example leave the diamonds way behind in customer relations and PR.

Embrace people and they will embrace you, treat them like mushrooms and they will shy away.

I really do hope if we run or we have a new promotion it will be high on the to do list.

• Like 4

Clubs had to tell the AGM if they were running or ask for a few more days to decide.

As George was on the Management Committee and hadnt missed an AGM for 20 years it seems strange for him to book a holiday when the AGM is held.

What if your wife/partner wants to book a holiday for next year. Do you keep waiting to see if we are running. What if you have been a spinsor and another organisation asks you to help. Do you say yes because it looks like the speedway is not running.

If they have been given more time then ask the fans for help. Several years ago they ran a grand raffle to be team sponsor. £50 a ticket every who buys gets there names in the program and one is drawn as the team sponsor.

Have you thought that George booked his cruise awhile ago before Alan had decided to 'take a break' from Speedway. No other promoters to call on so another promoter would have been charged to vote on issues by proxy voting. Did you expect George just to cancel his holiday ? I know another promotion who weren't represented at the AGM so Newcastle weren't alone. Remember also that in theory, all the motions down for debate will have been discussed at the earlier Pre AGM and the AGM is for formal voting on.

A break?? The PR is woeful at best and virtually none existent!! And its has a the been for years now. Treat your customers with apathy and they will just shop elsewhere or not buy the product. Its not much to ask for a club to keep fans updated really, ( even during the season) the falcons and Eagles for example leave the diamonds way behind in customer relations and PR.

Embrace people and they will embrace you, treat them like mushrooms and they will shy away.

I really do hope if we run or we have a new promotion it will be high on the to do list.

Newcastle United leave those clubs behind as well. With the support of these bigger sports/Clubs there is a greater need and money to hire and employ professional staff agencies to run their club. In Speedway most things have to be do on a shoestring by others who have a job and family to consider. You can't compare with professional organisations. Like everyone else I DO think a statement should have been made before now, clearing the situation as I also share their concerns at not having a statement on our site.

Edited by Tsunami

There is every chance that George booked his holiday before the date of the AGM was decided. It was at least two weeks later this year than it usually is. Last year it was at the beginning of November.

George would have let is feelings known at the pre AGM. If he needed more time to declare then no doubt The Conference statement would have reflected that. It didn't so I, for one, am reasonably confident we will run. ( Workington were slightly different as they obviously declared to run (they weren't represented either) expecting to be able to change their race night. that was refused and obviously threw there business plan out of the window).

There are several other websites which have little or no information other than "copying and pasting" the official press release.

Not too sure that Alan Hedley has "taken a break from speedway" My understanding is its a permanent decision

I think that we can only wait and see.

As I said earlier, nobody, including George, has said we are not running, and until somebody officially comes out and states that fact, I am happy to believe that we will run next Season.

• Like 1

If your job is to run a sports team and a meeting comes up and you have a holiday that clashes with it, I think it's your responsibility to be at the meeting and cancel your holiday, if I had a meeting come up at work when I had holidays booked, I'd be expected to turn up to work rather than go on my holiday, no different here... Anyhow, I'm staying positive that we will run next year, how well we'll run is another thing all together

• Like 1

If your job is to run a sports team and a meeting comes up and you have a holiday that clashes with it, I think it's your responsibility to be at the meeting and cancel your holiday, if I had a meeting come up at work when I had holidays booked, I'd be expected to turn up to work rather than go on my holiday, no different here... Anyhow, I'm staying positive that we will run next year, how well we'll run is another thing all together

Good job you didn't have meetings every week then. In my job holidays were rostered. If I had a meeting that week. Tough! My bosses knew I wouldn't be there and knew I wouldn't have my work phone switched on either. I'd sort everything when I came back.

• Like 1

Good job you didn't have meetings every week then. In my job holidays were rostered. If I had a meeting that week. Tough! My bosses knew I wouldn't be there and knew I wouldn't have my work phone switched on either. I'd sort everything when I came back.

And George would have had this Caribbean cruise booked about a year, and as it was for 3 weeks it would have cost well over £4k with no refund for cancellation. Try explaining that to your wife that the meeting was taking preference.

My opinion is we will run, but with George just returning late in Friday, he will need time to pick things up, jetlag, emails and mail, but I know it is planned to put out a statement in the very near future. All will be revealed then.

Well if George has got £4k to spend on a holiday I expect Jason Doyle to be our No 1 in 2018!! ;)

Clearly I jest.

I expect the limited number of meetings in 2018 are an interesting concept for Newcastle regarding stadium rental. Do they rent March to October or on a per meeting basis. Either way I can see negotiations with the landlords being tricky.

Also team building could be tricky. Would someone like Ludvig or Matej Kus bother having a UK set up for about 30 meetings. Like it or not doubling up riders have such an advantage and with the new fixed race nights for the Prem eliminating clashes it might be worth hanging fire on team building until Prem line ups are sorted?

Wot a load of f****** bollox!!!!!
  • Like 3

George could of booked his holiday out of term time,December and January only lol Anyway hope he enjoys the cruise and comes back refreshed and wanting another challenge.

I must admit I had enough last year and missed more meetings than ever before with guests and the Lambert fiasco near the end and I would say it is 50-50 if we run or not but hope I am proved wrong.

Yeah,,, probly booked a cheaper option, cos they take your eyes during holiday times :(

but who thinks that the rest of BSPA arranged the AGM for later, kowing that George couldn't make it ???,,,

their a shady bunch.

And George would have had this Caribbean cruise booked about a year, and as it was for 3 weeks it would have cost well over £4k with no refund for cancellation. Try explaining that to your wife that the meeting was taking preference.

My opinion is we will run, but with George just returning late in Friday, he will need time to pick things up, jetlag, emails and mail, but I know it is planned to put out a statement in the very near future. All will be revealed then.

All ships do WiFi, if he wanted to he could stay well in touch with everything.

• Like 2

All ships do WiFi, if he wanted to he could stay well in touch with everything.

maybe he didn't want to stay in touch, just a relaxing break away, no phones, no technology.

• Like 1