British Speedway Forum

17 minutes ago, Diamondlil said:

Klindt signed for workington would he not be their no 1

if he is they must be dropping to NL

7 hours ago, MattK said:

In fact, only two teams would be without a number one, Workington and Scunthorpe, if everyone re-signs at least one 8-pointer from last season. Workington have already signed Klindt, so in reality that leaves just Scunthorpe.

Of course, you are right that a richer club could poach an 8-pointer from another club, but isn't it part of teambuilding to ensure the services of the appropriate rider?

Either way it looks as if the 8-point rule won't spread the top riders around the Premiership, as clubs simply cannot afford to sign the surplus riders. This means that unless Somerset, Rye House and Kings Lynn can introduce new 8-pointers who didn't ride in 2017, they will come to the tapes without a recognised #1

cant fathom your logic at all .... there were 17 riders averaging over 8 last year with at least 5 not returning leaving 12 between 11 - an obvious solution would have graded the top 11 as no 1 heat leaders of which each team to have 1 !!!  - but no ... that would promote parity and a competitive league .......................  we wouldn't want that ...............

so assuming Howarth signs for Sheffield - that's 5 sides with 2 heat leaders ................ and Scunthorpe have stevie Worrall .... they will be the top 6 .......  given how important heats 13 and 15 are 

and the rest ...........  well redcar have the 11th best no 1 rider in the league .................  whilst Berwick newcastle Workington and peterboro will come to tapes with a no 1 rider on an average below 8 ............  these 5 will form the bottom 5 

the silence from Newcastle is worrying .............. but a uncompetitive team will result in large losses ....... a real concern for George .... never mind the lack of sponsor 

10 hours ago, ch958 said:

actually you might be joking but i wouldnt mind a spring tournament amongst those 4

thats a cracking idea . lets get together and sort it . after all , there will be some weeks where we dont have meetings . yep , bring it on and make a go of it .

10 hours ago, mauger65 said:

cant fathom your logic at all .... there were 17 riders averaging over 8 last year with at least 5 not returning leaving 12 between 11 - an obvious solution would have graded the top 11 as no 1 heat leaders of which each team to have 1 !!!  - but no ... that would promote parity and a competitive league .......................  we wouldn't want that ...............

so assuming Howarth signs for Sheffield - that's 5 sides with 2 heat leaders ................ and Scunthorpe have stevie Worrall .... they will be the top 6 .......  given how important heats 13 and 15 are 

and the rest ...........  well redcar have the 11th best no 1 rider in the league .................  whilst Berwick newcastle Workington and peterboro will come to tapes with a no 1 rider on an average below 8 ............  these 5 will form the bottom 5 

the silence from Newcastle is worrying .............. but a uncompetitive team will result in large losses ....... a real concern for George .... never mind the lack of sponsor 

I don't think grading would achieve that for two reasons. Firstly the disparity between riders with an average over 8 is large, ranging from Steve Worrall on 9.13 down to Eric Riss on 8.05. Secondly it prevents teams from bringing in a new rider, such as Klindt, who although his average is under 8 would ride as a recognised #1.

At the end of the day I am against these kinds of arbitrary rules. They may serve a purpose for a single season (although as stated I don't think they will have the desired effect in the Premiership) and next season will almost certainly have to be scrapped.

Klindt is not a number 1, great rider, always tries hard 110%, would be a good captain, just not a number 1

19 hours ago, Diamondlil said:

Klindt signed for workington would he not be their no 1

no . klink is not going to be no1 . scott nicholls is . oopps , cots oott the bag ..lol

1 hour ago, MattK said:

I don't think grading would achieve that for two reasons. Firstly the disparity between riders with an average over 8 is large, ranging from Steve Worrall on 9.13 down to Eric Riss on 8.05. Secondly it prevents teams from bringing in a new rider, such as Klindt, who although his average is under 8 would ride as a recognised #1.

At the end of the day I am against these kinds of arbitrary rules. They may serve a purpose for a single season (although as stated I don't think they will have the desired effect in the Premiership) and next season will almost certainly have to be scrapped.

Yes of course there is a difference between the top no 1 and worst no 1 in the league - there always has and always will be -  however trying to share out the top riders so that every team has 1 no 1  is surely a more sensible way forward than allowing half the league have 2 no 1s and the other half none

Worrall and harris for Glasgow    against summers and doolan    or lindgren and kus (in the imaginary diamonds team)   in heats 13 and 15  .......  yep that seems fair ............ 

even at home the diamonds would need to be 6 points up by heat 12 to scrape a 46 44 win again the top teams

in fact the diamonds could be 6 up after 10 heats, then with a tactical sub ride we face the opposition 1 & 5 in heats 11 13 an 15  and easily lose those 3 heats 15-3 !!!!

a lot of positive rule changes were made in winter but again the promoters missed the point and chance to set up a competitive league

one of the major gripes last year was that we knew the top 4 by May .................  we haven't even reached 2018 and already it looks like a 2 division league ...........  I think Berwick Workington and Newcastle inparticular are in for a disappointing and dispiriting season ............. (and perhaps redcar and peterboro depending on their signings) 

Wonder if you thought that when you had Lambert and Worrall, Bach and Larsen etc... suddenly look like there struggling for a number 1 and the rules should be changed its laughable  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Wonder if you thought that when you had Lambert and Worrall, Bach and Larsen etc... suddenly look like there struggling for a number 1 and the rules should be changed its laughable  

My problem is we have a set of rules for the PL another set for the CL and of course another set of rules for the NL.  One sport one set of rules to cover the sport, it's a bl**dy nonsenses to have different sets of rules for the same sport.

There appears to be a clue to whether we are running in 2018 in this weeks Speedway Star:

Ashley Morris has set his sights on a return to Newcastle.  He says he's had positive talks with Diamonds chiefs and he's happy to stay at the club.

"I've enjoyed my time with Newcastle, the people are great and I'm happy to go back there.  The management up there are nice people, the fans are loyal and I'm happy there, so why would I want to change it?  I'm hoping everything will fall into place with Newcastle very soon."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

There appears to be a clue to whether we are running in 2018 in this weeks Speedway Star:

Ashley Morris has set his sights on a return to Newcastle.  He says he's had positive talks with Diamonds chiefs and he's happy to stay at the club.

"I've enjoyed my time with Newcastle, the people are great and I'm happy to go back there.  The management up there are nice people, the fans are loyal and I'm happy there, so why would I want to change it?  I'm hoping everything will fall into place with Newcastle very soon."

Sounds promising, fingers crossed.

28 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

Sounds promising, fingers crossed.

Its sounds promising that we are talking to riders for 2018, but seems still up in the air.

At least, none of the riders, I've heard linked for 2018 have been signed up elsewhere,,, yet.

Newcastle Diamonds 2018

Ludvig LINDGREN
Hynek STICHAUER
Robin ASPEGREN
Pontus GAARD
Robert LAMBERT
Richard HALL
Drew KEMP