British Speedway Forum

31 minutes ago, andys said:

So dave were you involved negotiating with riders and can you say how difficult or easy it is, and what stupid things did they ask for in your day... Might pass the time while we wait for any news. 

Didn't one rider ask for 40 Benson for meetings ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andys said:

So dave were you involved negotiating with riders and can you say how difficult or easy it is, and what stupid things did they ask for in your day... Might pass the time while we wait for any news. 

Yes, especially in the first season, but less so after that when I ran the company, and George the team. Best not to say too much about riders requests, but yes they do ask for unusual things at times. Stuey Swales made it a condition of joining us, as long as we did not have a meeting on his wedding day I think in July. Agreed. Not sure if it was true, but Brent Verner was alleged to have asked for a number of bottles of Newcastle  Broon for each home meeting. Several riders insisted on certain pits positions, especially away from the pits nearest the pits fence as they didn't like the flack that they got. On that theme that was why in the early 00's the home team chose to be in the pits nearer the pits carpark.  

First rider we signed was Jesper from the BSPA who was clubless after Redcar closed. £3,000 well spent I think you will agree. Next was Glyn Taylor who obviously had returned to Perth, OZ after his season with Berwick. Unfortunately due to time zones, when one of us sleeping the other one was up and about, so transactions were drawn out over several nights. We did the deal for £1100 plus VAT, but unfortunately he was injured in the meeting in May riding at Hull, having been hit by Peter Scully. Been a good friend to Newcastle and myself ever since, and we drew on his experience with us a rider and promoter back in OZ. "Bring someone to hang onto" was one of his promotion slogans for new fans.  He was the only rider 'caught' and sentenced by the SCB for using 'soft' tyres after being caught at Edinburgh in early 1997. That despite the previous evening, I think it was Ipswich and Eastbourne,when 13 of the 14 riders were caught our and no action taken.  

• Like 1

So - Ludvig highly likely to be in Newcastle team according to George.

Seemed very strange that he wouldn't be.

Also looking to try and get Scott Nicholls, if ruling is changed!

1 hour ago, Mad Max said:

What average would Nicholls come in on ?

22 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

What average would Nicholls come in on ?

• Like 1

I much prefer Scott to join Newcastle

Id have to boo him as a pussycat :P

Long commute for him from the south coast mind.......

Where is this information coming from? :neutral:

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I much prefer Scott to join Newcastle

Id have to boo him as a pussycat :P

Long commute for him from the south coast mind.......

Would be good have him in the team, but don't think he would keep or add to that average.

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Would be good have him in the team, but don't think he would keep or add to that average.

I think he'd at least stay in the low 9s or high 8s, and he'd be worth more than that to the likes of Alfie and Rose maybe if we sign them... Would be a good head to have in the pits

Wonder who would be the captain, Robson, Nicholls or Ludvig... Hmmm

14 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Perhaps you could be kind as you were with Danny and take him on to achieve a 'nicer' figure ready for the Witches :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mad Max said:

Where's this coming from, you been to see Mystic Meg or reading the tea leaves? 

2 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

Where's this coming from, you been to see Mystic Meg or reading the tea leaves? 

Speedway Start today.

I had thought about Scott Nicholls but might not be with in the budget.

Will Dalbers be making a return this season at all

22 minutes ago, soupy said:

I had thought about Scott Nicholls but might not be with in the budget.

Will Dalbers be making a return this season at all

Got to think it could be on. There are no number 1's lying around unemployed, and it could well be that the BSPA bow down to the problems caused and change the over 6 rule, which would allow Kennett and Nicholls to ride in the Championship League. Kennett not for me, and I don't think he would travel North due to his Southern comittments. Travel would also be a problem with Nichols, but nobody else needs him except Peterborough and it may be possible to fly him up or something similar. He rides Newcastle well usually. He will be desperate to get more meetings as Premier League bookings and no foreign earnings, will not make speedway pay for him. 

Dalbers I think will be more active this year, and I personally welcome his involvement again. He never stopped loving Newcastle Speedway.

• Like 1