British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Aceslider said:

Funnily enough I was thinking just the same!

But then the earlier post referring to "Dads Army" would suggest a Number 1 called Wilson maybe 

I'm pretty sure Sean Wilson has retired.

I very much hope....

1 hour ago, Alan_Jones said:

Was he injured for the whole season? That's the only way he'll get a reduction.

No he wasn't injured Alan, he didn't get a ride so had to take the year out. I though there was a reduction when you came back, and I was later told he could get a 5% reduction. It doesn't really matter actually as I can't see us getting a rider that takes us up to the points limit.

I'm not exactly delighted with the team but I've been going since 1975 and I'm not going to stop now. I've seen us have great teams and poor teams before now and my enjoyment of speedway comes from the racing. We have plenty of racers in the team so I shall be giving them my full support. I have nothing to do with Newcastle Speedway other than attending for 43 years (with the gap years when shut). I get my moneys worth when Robbo or Lindgren blast past people on the outside of the 4th bend and hope to see plenty of it this season.

• Like 4

It’s a fine line and the promotion have had to build a team probably on the worst case scenario in terms of crowds which is the right way to go and if the team is successful it will bode well for next year, what this team won’t do from the start is attract people like me back who have drifted away from the sport for one reason or another, however my concern is this team could struggle and that could have a reduction in the die hards who attend which could be disastrous,but start winning a few and produce exciting racing and you never know.........fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Wethers signing, looks like George drew a blank down the back of the old sofa,  more like he took the empties back. :D

This is the worst PL team since Mildenhall in 2008 in my opinion. Will there be a reduction in the admission price for the Newcastle fans that reflects what a poor team they have? I understand they clearly have to cut their cloth but when you look at that side I cant help but wonder why they are bothering and why they didnt just drop into the conference for a season and try and bring on some talent before stepping up again when able.

I am hearing that the Roynon signing is a short term contract? Maybe to buy some Time, but it could well be weathers that makes way if Roynon rides to past ability 

Edited by Midget

12 minutes ago, Midget said:

I am hearing that the Roynon signing is a short term contract? Maybe to buy some Time, but it could well be weathers that makes way if Roynon rides to past ability 

Please tell me that the Roynon thing is a windup or and early April Fool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

Please tell me that the Roynon thing is a windup or and early April Fool.

well with that and Wethers signing, you could understand why announcements were delayed :(

in his time @ wucky , Matty never let us down . a tryer and a scruffy  bod. but always gave his all.

adding to that , royno was a track record holder @ D.P. , but just went off a wee bit .when he was on it , he was a hit .

Edited by jenga
i like adam roynon .

I was wondering it can’t possibly be Roynon but after the Wethers announcement yesterday nothing would surprise me. On a side note has any of our management team actually seen Roynon at brough lately? He really struggles to get around the place.

20 hours ago, Winditon said:

Can you honestly tell me you are not dissapointed with Wethers? If not I imagine your one of a small minority. No club fancied him last season so that sums it up really. I hope I'm proved wrong. Wonder what Boomerang thinks.

rubbish there you go and you have got to be kidding whoever mentioned roynon

because if that's the case me and the partner wont be going to many thick end of £45 to watch that no chance

£16 to watch a team of journeymen?? A team of 2 second strings and 4 reserves so far... Nar thanks, id rather pay the petrol money and go to Redcar. No disrespect to the riders as individuals but collectively that team is truely awful. Still the Grumbler will see his men in Kevlar's from his half empty terrace #perspective.

Am I the only one who quite likes the team? We were never going to be world beaters this year, I'm just glad we have a team at all, all riders are triers and will be entertaining to watch every week, if we can now get a 8.00 rider to round it off, things won't be AWFUL, maybe we can beat Berwick and finish second bottom, but as I say, I'm just glad we're on track in 2018, because I fear if we weren't, we might not have been out in 2019 onwards either

My three guesses for who the last rider might be, and I'm just going out on a limb...

Sebastian Alden (Dunno if he still rides), Kevin Wolbert or Kenneth Hansen maybe?

I know we don't have the best team ever, but I'm just greatful that I get to cheer on the Diamonds in 2018 :)