British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

The difficulty is spend your money on who. There is virtually no-one to sign and Poland has a rule of a 9 man pool, but the team with Hancock, Rose and Kus has 14 riders stockpiled. That in parts has caused a shortage. My way out would have been to go for a new 5.2 rider, and hope he comes good, and a bigger signing into the season when someone gets disallusioned with Poland, and is looking for another income stream. It might be starting low, but there will be opportunities to restrengthen as time goes on. It's got to be remembered we started later than everyone else, and with lesser money probably, so there was always signs we would be limited as to who we could sign. Hang on for the early days and see what pans out but we still should have faith in George and Martin as both of them will not want a poor team for very long. Have faith. 

The paying public should not be expected to pay full price to see that side put out. Sorry but its atrocious. 

Its borderline Mildenhal 08(?) standard, even the Newport 2005 team with Vidal as number 1 on a 3.5 average

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

The paying public should not be expected to pay full price to see that side put out. Sorry but its atrocious. 

Its borderline Mildenhal 08(?) standard, even the Newport 2005 team with Vidal as number 1 on a 3.5 average

What would you suggest they do then with a limited budget and racing on the same night as Poland race. 

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Surely it depends on who the last rider is?  How you can judge on the six so far (bearing in mind Ludde and Robbo are near as makes no difference 7pt riders) and say "it's like Mildenhall in '08," is, frankly, a rediculous statement.

I'm am sure George knows his Toon public.  Lets hope he does not get to May  and then starts moaning about poor gates.

My concern is and I appreciate that we have still 1 rider to sign, looking at our first months of fixtures (full month), we have:

Berwick (A)

Berwick (H)

Sheffield (A)

Scunthorpe (A)

Scunthorpe (H)

Redcar (A)

Redcar (H)

Ipswich (A)

Sheffield (H)

Where are the points going to come from, I know were are notoriously bad travellers but to face Sheffield, Ippo and Scunny away in the first month, I can only see big home wins and I think we will struggle in the corresponding home matches.  What impact will that have on team morale and attendances.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, andys said:

What would you suggest they do then with a limited budget and racing on the same night as Poland race. 

Move race night?

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

Move race night?

Not easy when you race in a dog stadium. Even our agreed off night Monday, we get very poor attendances when we use that night.

5 minutes ago, GWC said:

Move race night?

And almost certainly close down if the crowds get bad on a Sunday they'll be alot worse on any other night as had been proved in the past when they've had to race on a Monday. I'm sure this team has been constructed with worse case scenario attendance figures taking into account, which means that the club will survive. 

13 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

My concern is and I appreciate that we have still 1 rider to sign, looking at our first months of fixtures (full month), we have:

Berwick (A)

Berwick (H)

Sheffield (A)

Scunthorpe (A)

Scunthorpe (H)

Redcar (A)

Redcar (H)

Ipswich (A)

Sheffield (H)

Where are the points going to come from, I know were are notoriously bad travellers but to face Sheffield, Ippo and Scunny away in the first month, I can only see big home wins and I think we will struggle in the corresponding home matches.  What impact will that have on team morale and attendances.

Whilst the away matches may end up in heavy defeats for the Diamonds its the home ones id be most concerned about. Berwick, Scunny & Redcar would normally be regarded as comfy home points on the board but looks far less than certain now especially with the return of Mr Worrall.  However bottom with few / no points after the first month is going to cause a lot of unrest among any group of supporters.

Having been a Rye supporter for many years Len Silver took the angle that the speedway must survive over rider signings.

If the promotion don’t have deep pockets then it’s this route or no speedway.

• Like 2

If the  season doesn't start well at Rough, will George be then forced to go out and get a big hitter in to appease the fans ? If so that is going to cost, big time.  If he can find one to come on a Sunday.  

2 minutes ago, semion said:

If the  season doesn't start well at Rough, will George be then forced to go out and get a big hitter in to appease the fans ? If so that is going to cost, big time.  If he can find one to come on a Sunday.  

Do you not think if they could fetch a top rider in they would have already, semen. 

Whoops I fear I may have misspelt your name!!!  My apologies... 

9 minutes ago, semion said:

If there are still any left (fans I mean).

Edited by foamfence

14 minutes ago, andys said:

Do you not think if they could fetch a top rider in they would have already, semen. 

Whoops I fear I may have misspelt your name!!!  My apologies... 

No Problem Randy,  Oops, pardon the typo......  I have no idea.  I guess there are always riders who will come, for a price.

• Haha 3

Does anyone have any updates on Kenni Larsen? Haven't heard anything for ages