British Speedway Forum

Lewis Rose just confirmed. Pleased to have him back. Now let's get behind them!!!!!!! Let's surprise the doubters.

• Like 1

That message I meant to send over a week ago. I still feel the same... I however am more concerned than ever as to how in prepared we are.

i know Alan walking away has cost us (I remember an away supporter telling us graphically about it last season, during the season).. but..... we still had plenty of time to sort it out...

i am sure many fans who comment on here act on the offensive, as do fans on the defensive, many if not all have the future of speedway at the heart, and I for one have lived and breathed it since I was 1 year old, as do my kids today.

the biggest dissapointment is the realisation, not just how much we were forewarned of a poor year,  and the need to consolidate for the future, the only step needed to make newcastle speedway survive is to move away from brough Park. 

I am sure all the corporate followers will stand up and say it’s not possible, or they have tried. But the only mistake they have made is not making it happen..

Just for reference, I have sat through the following changes in my 30 years at tracks just in the north, Just in our league

2x smoggies (Cleveland park + current)

2x monarchs (Powderhall + Current)

2x glasgow (Shawfield + Current)

2x berwick ( Berrington lough, current)

1x  berwick training track which they building

1x Glasgow training track (I believe they are setting up

I would bet my bottom dollar that if Edinburgh were (are) kicked out of Armadale they will have somewhere to move into.. just like every year they have a back up plan to see them succeed with team building.

Apparently we have the biggest rent in the league aside Ipswich. Jesus, no wonder we can’t afford riders without sponsors, it’s time to rise above and find a new track, otherwise as George says, speedway in Newcastle isn’t sustainable unless the fans turn up to the level he needs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mentalmik said:

Lewis Rose just confirmed. Pleased to have him back. Now let's get behind them!!!!!!! Let's surprise the doubters.

Really? So 2 points under the limit, and a rider who we have never tried to sign, yet relying on goodwill for him to ride for us..

good on Lewis for putting the club first, rubbish from the club for expecting him to do so

Ideally wud of loved a no.1 rider. However, we had 2 no.1 rider's last season and won sweet FA. So I'm going into this season with an open mind.  Good luck gents 

• Like 4

Christ, that means Ludvig is at 1, this forum might get interesting, personally I'm looking forward to watching this team, might not be the strongest, but all 7 riders are entertainment

How would everyone put the team? Obviously Ludvig is at 1 and Morris and Wilko are at reserve, how will the rest of the team look?

I can see Lewis being our number 1 pretty quickly

Edited by Dandelion

Lets hope one or two do a Mark Thorpe and that we can cash in at reserve where we should be a bit more experienced than most others.

Good to see Lewis eventually named to complete our team,,, bit of a shame for Roynon.

2 points under the limit, we are really going to struggle smacks a bit of desperation , probably one of the weakest teams I have seen in a long time and sorry for saying this but not one to drag my lazy a*** back anytime soon.........sorry 

7 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

the biggest dissapointment is the realisation, not just how much we were forewarned of a poor year,  and the need to consolidate for the future, the only step needed to make newcastle speedway survive is to move away from brough Park

I am sure all the corporate followers will stand up and say it’s not possible, or they have tried. But the only mistake they have made is not making it happen..

Apparently we have the biggest rent in the league aside Ipswich. Jesus, no wonder we can’t afford riders without sponsors, it’s time to rise above and find a new track, otherwise as George says, speedway in Newcastle isn’t sustainable unless the fans turn up to the level he needs

Two simple questions for you then.  What with (finances) and where (location)?

It can't be a "mistake" if they couldn't find a suitable piece of land (or didn't have the financial part of it sorted).

I'm guessing you know of someone with thousands of pounds to throw at it (with very little return) and a nice big patch of land, where the planning permission won't be much of a problem, for track, viewing facitities, pits, car park, pipes for the toilets and running water etc. If so, I'm sure George, Martin etc., would be eager to hear from you!!

7 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Christ, that means Ludvig is at 1, this forum might get interesting, personally I'm looking forward to watching this team, might not be the strongest, but all 7 riders are entertainment

How would everyone put the team? Obviously Ludvig is at 1 and Morris and Wilko are at reserve, how will the rest of the team look?

I can see Lewis being our number 1 pretty quickly

It really only takes say a Lewis Rose to go to the next level which he is very capable of as long as he stays injury free and this team has a whole new complexion.

Whilst i get what people are saying but you only need one rider to really kick on , also have a feeling that this will not be the team 4 or 5 weeks into the season i would urge people to keep the faith some may say a bit rich coming from a Glasgow fan but we also have seen the bad times more than the good , this team may just surprise you.

• Thanks 1

As we proved last year, having two big hitters guarantees nothing which is exactly what we won.

Good on yer Wilko and lets see how it goes. Yes, it would have been better to be at 42 but if Lewis had finished the season we would be a lot closer.

Banging up the starting averages is what makes the difference and there is room for improvement in a few spots.

If anyone struggles, Wilko will be getting 7 rides a match again B)

The other plus point will be a stable team. Not multiple guests when they are in Poland, the U21’s, the GB squad or a drummed up match in the outer Hebrides!

I still remember Hull being tipped for bottom and winning the lot. Here’s hoping?

• Like 2

Having and out and out number one is over rated in my opinion. It's nice to have one, but if the Diamonds can share the first heat, they should be 8-4 up after two heats against most of the teams in the league. It looks a solid side to me.

Some of the teams are a bit top heavy but have inexperienced reserve pairings and it should make for some exciting contests at Brough Park. Just hope the fans get out and get behind them.

• Like 4

I think we have already shown in the recent past that having 2 big hitters in your team is no guarantee of winning anything (apologies to anyone who has already made this point). 2 years ago we were on the verge of winning something with Robert and Steve taking most rides in heats 13 and 15. This proved not to be enough as the likes of Richard Lawson, Craig Cook, Josh Grajonek, Ricky Wells and Kyle Howarth would more often than not take the heat wins.

As Wilko says, there is something in having a balanced team and so long as we can avoid conceding two 5 1's in heats 13 and 15, home and away, you just never know we could surprise a few teams.

Teams which do look stronger than us on paper may well experience the availability issues we suffered last season in particular. Hopefully our new "weakened" team should not have those problems which will be better for team spirit as well as removing a frequent frustration for fans when their favorite riders were not available.

Edited by Aceslider
Corrected Richard Lawson name
  • Like 4

Well, I suppose a rider line up of (my guess)

Ludvig Lindgren 7.21
Tero Aarnio     5.02
Lewis Rose      6.49
Matthew Wethers 5.65
Stuart Robson   7.02
Carl Wilkinson  4.97
Ashley Morris   4.88

Isn't about to spread terror through the ranks of the speedway world.  Going on the principle of let's not finish last in every heat, whilst acknowledging first places may be few and far between.