British Speedway Forum

Don't think this team is as bad as some are saying.  Okay it might not win many if any on the road, it might lose a couple at home, but sometimes the best meetings you don't win, but are the most entertaining.

this team is shocking - no disrespect to the 7 lads because they are all triers and will give it all but the team is 2 points under the limit - worse than with luddo and robbo at 1 and 5 - heats 13 and 15 are going to difficult at home and nigh on 10-2 certainties away from home

the team is under-strength and the 1-5 will be found out ....  where are we going to win heats .... as I say I don't blame the 7 riders ........ ok we are strong at reserve ... but so are some other teams .............  u just cant give away 2 points ..... the top riders of opposing teams are going to have a field day

ok we had 2 heat leaders last year and won nowt, but that was because we gambled at reserve level and it went badly wrong - but at least we were in all the competitions and there was plenty of entertainment with steve and robert

in the last 10 years - the successful teams have had a top number 1 rider and a strong reserve at 6

apart from lewis .... none of our riders are gaters .......  and we will win NO matches away from home and I will be surprised if we manage 40 anywhere

at home - if think we will win maybe 6 of our 10 league matches but take a couple of bad beatings off the likes of Sheffield or Glasgow

we have wooden spoonists written all over us ...............   but I will be there ..... but this could be our last season as I think we will struggle crowd size with that team assembled

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

this team is shocking - no disrespect to the 7 lads because they are all triers and will give it all but the team is 2 points under the limit - worse than with luddo and robbo at 1 and 5 - heats 13 and 15 are going to difficult at home and nigh on 10-2 certainties away from home

the team is under-strength and the 1-5 will be found out ....  where are we going to win heats .... as I say I don't blame the 7 riders ........ ok we are strong at reserve ... but so are some other teams .............  u just cant give away 2 points ..... the top riders of opposing teams are going to have a field day

ok we had 2 heat leaders last year and won nowt, but that was because we gambled at reserve level and it went badly wrong - but at least we were in all the competitions and there was plenty of entertainment with steve and robert

in the last 10 years - the successful teams have had a top number 1 rider and a strong reserve at 6

apart from lewis .... none of our riders are gaters .......  and we will win NO matches away from home and I will be surprised if we manage 40 anywhere

at home - if think we will win maybe 6 of our 10 league matches but take a couple of bad beatings off the likes of Sheffield or Glasgow

we have wooden spoonists written all over us ...............   but I will be there ..... but this could be our last season as I think we will struggle crowd size with that team assembled

Has anyone got the samaritans number I think someone needs it ffs!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The team that starts the season doesn't normally finish it these days.

Well with the Rose signing, and the circumstances behind his change in plans, I am happier than I was. I had already said that I hoped someone in Poland would drop out, but I thought that would be sometime into the season. This way we have Rosie where he will be appreciated, and hope for him to have an injury free season. 

We don’t appear to have a weak link and everyone is capable of winning a race, which we could not say when we had 2 top heat leaders. They are all triers and are capable of getting results though their efforts. Ludde, Robbo, Rose, will be fine, Tero Ash Wilko and Wethers if they ride to there competences especially Tero, they will bring us victories especially if we get behind them. 

It is no good now having Glasgow expectations, given the circumstances that the club found itself when Alan walked out. Have faith in George and Martin, a  consolidation year, glad we have speedway, can’t expect too much, seems to be far from the reactions to our team now. This promotion has gone through the team building process after everyone else had about a 2 month start. It may be necessary to restrenghthen at some time in the future, and if there are riders available the club will do what it has to do. It wants success just the same as everyone else, so give the team a chance. Interesting that some of the doom merchants don’t even go to speedway, so I prefer those who have genuine concerns and love their Speedway especially Newcastle. Once a rider puts on the Diamond jacket he is our rider, so let’s look forward to an interesting and entertaining season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

Well, I suppose a rider line up of (my guess)

Ludvig Lindgren 7.21
Tero Aarnio     5.02
Lewis Rose      6.49
Matthew Wethers 5.65
Stuart Robson   7.02
Carl Wilkinson  4.97
Ashley Morris   4.88

Isn't about to spread terror through the ranks of the speedway world.  Going on the principle of let's not finish last in every heat, whilst acknowledging first places may be few and far between.

Keep the faith Newcastle fans. We have a more balanced team this year too so lets see how our teams do. We had the best No.1 in the league last year  , and got us nowhere. No pressure on our teams and like Newcastle , we were very much doubtful we would have speedway to watch. You never know we might just cause some upset along the way ;)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Keep the faith Newcastle fans. We have a more balanced team this year too so lets see how our teams do. We had the best No.1 in the league last year  , and got us nowhere. No pressure on our teams and like Newcastle , we were very much doubtful we would have speedway to watch. You never know we might just cause some upset along the way ;)

But it's very unlikely.

5 minutes ago, foamfence said:

But it's very unlikely.

:rolleyes: we'll see

40 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

:rolleyes: we'll see

Upsets,,, well you could make an onion cry ;)

• Like 1

Tsunami - im not trying to have Glasgows ambitions as I know we are limited with funds

But this team is 2 points below the team building average - which does not sound much but our top 5 are all racing a counterpart who is at least one spot higher

luddo and robbo are both 3rd heat leaders riding against top two heat leaders,  we then have wethers and rose who are 4th strings racing against a 3rd heat leader

although they are all tryers ..... realistically only rose and Ashley are likely to increase their average much ... whilst heaven knows what will happen to luddo when he faces the opposition 1 and 5 three times each in his 5 rides .....   at home he will give as good as he gets but away from home hes struggled at 4 .. heaven help him at 1

its gonna be a long season ............  I am merely being realistic ................. its hardly a team that's got the other 10 worried ..........  as I've said all their promoters have us down as a potential away win

• Like 1

There’s a very good reason why we are 2 points below. There are NO top riders  available and that is obvious to everyone. We would all like a Rolls Royce, but ocassionally you have to make do with  a Mini, till a Rolls you can afford comes along. As I have said earlier, we need to remember all that had to happen during the winter, and understand the reason why we were left at the back of the queue for the top riders. We are on catch up, and I am sure if another returnee from Poland, or a another good rider becomes available, the promotion will try to get them. Apart from a rocky period in the middle 00’s,  the promotion has had decent success with some brilliant riders, and it is not in anybodies interest to be understrength, so let’s be a bit more patient before anybody stamps off in a huff. 

• Like 3

Can you have a winning team without a No.1 standard rider? Yes. It's been done.

Can you have a winning team that starts 2 points lower than the other teams?  Maybe if you've got a team full of riders who'll increase their starting averages.

Can you have a winning team that has no No.1 and starts 2 points lower than the other teams?  No chance, unless you've got some serious increases in average.

Assuming Ludvig and Robbo are in Ht 13 and possibly some Ht 15's and neither are on an upward curve they'll do well to maintain their starting averages. Lewis Rose is on the up but Ht 15's might restrict his potential increase. The rest will swap between reserve and 2nd string so should on average maintain their averages (remember there are not that many 2.00 reserves this season).

Add the fact that Ludvig, Aarnio, Wethers and Wilkinson will only have 20 odd meetings all season whilst others have 50 plus can't be good.

No point in denying this is collectively a poor team but will it be entertaining???  Maybe but getting tonked every week gets old real fast.

Edited by enotian
  • Like 1

Well I'm content that I can return to Speedway at Newcastle to be honest. It was looking dodgy for a time. I think the Promotion have done the best they could under very difficult circumstances. Hopefully, even with Lindgren at Number One, we might surprise a few people. I, for one, hope so. I wish the Promotion and the Riders all the very best for the coming Season.

Roll on a week on Sunday.

• Like 3

Good see some of the Toon fans remaining upbeat, but it does look a poor side in comparison to the others.  As the saying goes you can’t polish a turd

theres a few old riders in there that on there day were match winners for teams in the past

they might be past there best and on there way out

but they might just get a 2nd wind and have a good season

1 thing for sure theres a lot of experience in that team and a few riders i enjoyed watching when they were on form

• Like 1