British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Keep the faith Newcastle fans. We have a more balanced team this year too so lets see how our teams do. We had the best No.1 in the league last year  , and got us nowhere. No pressure on our teams and like Newcastle , we were very much doubtful we would have speedway to watch. You never know we might just cause some upset along the way ;)

you see thats the thing most people on this forum all they shout about is genuine no1

how many teams have won the league with a balanced team rather than big "genuine no1"

id far rather have a balanced team where you dont know whos going to win the haet or come last  thats what sport is all about

theres nothing entertaining about watching a race where you know 1 rider is gonna clear of out front and another is gonna trail around half a lap behind

Edited by scaramanga

The last team to do this with a balanced team was Hull Vikings when they won the treble in 2005 I’m sure 4 or 5 riders had a spell at reserve due to the closeness of the averages 

You beat me to it Tosh, didn't that Hull team have five seven point riders. Or four with 7+ averages & two around 6.5 average. In any case a really solid side that cleaned up that season. 

It looks like a team that wants to ride for the Diamonds and has an affinity with the club. That means a lot.

I really hope you do well this year. I don't think it's a league winning side but it seems like an honest bunch of riders who will give 100% rather then a team of mercenaries who don't give a monkeys who they ride for.

There's more to the sport than winning the league.

• Like 2

some people are in fantasy world

this is no hull of 2005 ...... ffs ..... that team didn't have a no 1 yes ..............  but they had a no 3 riding at 7 !!!!!!!!!  that's why they cruised it - that team was an exception ........    that side had 4 better riders than our number 1

I repeat most successful teams in last 10 years ... have an outstanding no 1 (top 5 in averages) and best number 6 in league 

I don't expect a championship winning side ,,, but I expect a competitive team.... this team whilst full of tryers is simply not good enough

come july if we are in playoff chase I wlll gladly eat my hat ............ but somehow I think we will firmly at the bottom ..... and I fear for Newcastle cos I think the crowds will dwindle further because the team is so uncompetitive (not lack of effort) .............. I hope I am 100% wrong 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

The last team to do this with a balanced team was Hull Vikings when they won the treble in 2005 I’m sure 4 or 5 riders had a spell at reserve due to the closeness of the averages 

2004 actually, good year that with a well-solid team.  But please no-one never, ever mention 'Hull Vikings' + '2005' in the same sentance again as that was when we closed with 2 matches remaining at Craven Park :(.

Back on topic; hope it's a good season for the Diamonds and everyone in speedway for that matter :D....

Half a dozen home defeats about to be served up at the Greyhound Stadium - oh dear, not good as we know the fans are not very loyal and will not watch their team getting beat on a regular basis...

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Half a dozen home defeats about to be served up at the Greyhound Stadium - oh dear, not good as we know the fans are not very loyal and will not watch their team getting beat on a regular basis...

Nope.... no bite here..... move along....

• Haha 1

For a team like ours to do well you have to look at riders who are going to improve and put a couple of points on their averages and I can’t really see that happening, that’s what happened with the well fabled Hull team, remember what happened last time lingren was no 1 (not his fault as he’s not a no 1 )

26 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

For a team like ours to do well you have to look at riders who are going to improve and put a couple of points on their averages and I can’t really see that happening, that’s what happened with the well fabled Hull team, remember what happened last time lingren was no 1 (not his fault as he’s not a no 1 )

No pressure on him, but I think we are looking at Lewis Rose to keep up the improvement he has shown over the last 3 seasons.  Ashley may improve on his just below 5 average, so there's hope there too.  

I personally believe that we will be fine at home, generally, but away may not be as pretty to watch.  I'll still get to away matches when I can, though, starting with Berwick next Saturday.

I only get to away matches.  And only a handful at that.

Can't say I'm looking forward to going to Sheffield or Workington watching that team.  Racing likely to be very poor.

I admire your optimism steve ........... I just don't see where the heat wins are coming from 

Edited by mauger65

7 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

I admire your optimism steve ........... I just don't see where the heat wins are coming from 

It depends on how George lines the team up, but I can't see many teams coming to Brough and getting a heat advantage out of heats 2, 4 , 8  or 12 for a start.  Ludde and Robbo can handle themselves around Brough, often beating top opposition riders.  As I say, away from home will probably be a different kettle of bananas.

Edited by StevePark
typo!
  • Like 1

just a pity about heats 1,3,5,6,7,9,10,11,13,and 15 where I see it will be difficult for us to get a heat advantage  :o

Probably the worst team on paper in the last few years, in my opinion. Luckily, they ride on shale, so they have a chance to prove me wrong. Sincerely hope they do, because I don't like to see any team struggle.

• Like 1