British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, leander said:

Aye. But it was the right decision. Heeps got up and made no effort to clear the track seeing Pickering was 3rd so getting the race stopped. 

I thought the ref was a bit premature in awarding heat 2. At the time it wasn't inconceivable that Ash would of passed Hume.

Some people were saying we would of lost if King had been riding. I'm not so sure Haertel would have been there as well, and I very much doubt he would have got anywhere near Pickering's 9+1. 

As for Ludvig losing to Schlein, well Schlein is riding like a No1 in the Premiership never mind our league. Matty might not have scored anything last night but he did a good job on Schlein into bend 1 in heat 13 to allow Ludvig to get away. 

If nothing else last night showed the drop in averages is doing us no favours in the choice of guests available. We need to replace Lewis (hopefully with some quality) sooner rather than later, and possibly even Robbo on a temp contract.

If Heeps had have cleared the track, I wouldn't have bet against Pickering passing 1, or both Diamonds, (he actually nearly did),,, Schlien has almost 2pts on Ludde, but some suggest he should be beating the likes of him at home. I didn't say the decision was wrong, but agreed it was 'a bit harsh'. We were let down in other departments last night, which I think have been 'highlighted'.

Edited by ruffdiamond

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

It you knew the frequency of his engine problems, the rare events that have happened to key parts in his engines, the number of engines he has bought, the money it has cost him, the tuners like Wilson who are working for him at the moment, well last night things worked very well for him and we had a true Ludde performance. Long may it continue, and hope his engine problems are over. if you don't like guy fair enough, but for christ sake respect the fact that he is doing his head in trying to sort it out and last night he did it. Rant over.:angry:

It’s the same for all riders they all have to spend big money on engines so nothing new there ! And after 7 years at Newcastle he should know what works around Newcastle by now ie how he likes a engine  set up from a tuners and what sprocket,jet,and timing to use ! I never once said I didn’t like him but i pay my money every week like everyone else so I’ll have my opinion when he doesn’t pull his weight end of 

17 minutes ago, Gating tart said:

It’s the same for all riders they all have to spend big money on engines so nothing new there ! And after 7 years at Newcastle he should know what works around Newcastle by now ie how he likes a engine  set up from a tuners and what sprocket,jet,and timing to use ! I never once said I didn’t like him but i pay my money every week like everyone else so I’ll have my opinion when he doesn’t pull his weight end of 

Totally missed the point of course. It's not he hasn't pulled his weight, it is the freak mechanical problems he has had and the amount of money and time he has spent to try and conquer the problems. Yes he is frustrating at times, but the guru tuners have been working on his problems and 2 brand new engines and many thousand points later, he is emerging from the problems through being committed to get it right. Pity you didn't just tell him to pull his socks up, and he and we would have been spared all the grief.

You have your opinion, but I would rather judge him on facts.

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Totally missed the point of course. It's not he hasn't pulled his weight, it is the freak mechanical problems he has had and the amount of money and time he has spent to try and conquer the problems. Yes he is frustrating at times, but the guru tuners have been working on his problems and 2 brand new engines and many thousand points later, he is emerging from the problems through being committed to get it right. Pity you didn't just tell him to pull his socks up, and he and we would have been spared all the grief.

I must admit and a few of my road racing friends can't understand these setup and mechanical problems that riders seem to have season after season.They ride the same tracks every season yet struggle every season.The engine itself is not a complicated  or sophisticated piece of equipment but seems to cause no end of troubles for seasoned riders. 

26 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I must admit and a few of my road racing friends can't understand these setup and mechanical problems that riders seem to have season after season.They ride the same tracks every season yet struggle every season.The engine itself is not a complicated  or sophisticated piece of equipment but seems to cause no end of troubles for seasoned riders. 

In Ludde's case this year, there are parts in his engines which have broke in leading positions, more that other seasoned riders have never experience or only once in a long career.

in addition , but I don't know if this is the case with Ludde, it is reported that there is a rogue batch of GM's this year. Ludde has bought two new engines and Wilson has been involved to get to the bottom of his problems. On Sunday he looked he was comfortable and confident and really back to his best. But others just think he should just  'pull his socks up' :lol:

54 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Your going on about spending thousands for engines again Nothing new all riders spend thousands on engines !! All riders put in loads of time and effort and commitment in to racing so why you making out that he’s doing something special ? When every rider puts in loads of energy and effort in to riding speedway or what’s the point  

46 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not trying to have a go at anyone, but surely road racing is about speed and sticking to the road best you can and,,,, you have the use of brakes and a gearbox to help control the bike. Not the same as speedway, where its about grip and slip with only really having a throttle to help control the bike. My brother and friends have their Fireblades and Hanspree bikes, usually out all day on Sundays in the summer, but they wouldn't last long on cinders.

9 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Not trying to have a go at anyone, but surely road racing is about speed and sticking to the road best you can and,,,, you have the use of brakes and a gearbox to help control the bike. Not the same as speedway, where its about grip and slip with only really having a throttle to help control the bike. My brother and friends have their Fireblades and Hanspree bikes, usually out all day on Sundays in the summer, but they wouldn't last long on cinders.

I am not talking about riding the bike,why do journeymen speedway riders sell their equipment that working perfectly fine and serviced regular,only to find they can't seem to get their new stuff to work for half a season .Better to be tuner than a rider nowadays a lot of money to be made!.Harris is perfect example.If it's not broken why mend it!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I am not talking about riding the bike,why do journeymen speedway riders sell their equipment that working perfectly fine and serviced regular,only to find they can't seem to get their new stuff to work for half a season .Better to be tuner than a rider nowadays a lot of money to be made!.Harris is perfect example.If it's not broken why mend it!

The 'set up' thing used to boggle me, but after taliking about it with others, it made more sense. Speedway bikes are only really controlled off the throttle, so varying track conditions play a lot in the throttle response.

Why riders get rid of stuff, maybe has something to do with only 'having the best gear',,, much the same as having the latest i-phone, la la la,,, whereas many a wiser person, can make good use out of what they've had for a while and, get their moneys worth. 'Make do and mend',,, but there will come a time when it has do be replaced. Myself, I won't throw a pair of socks out, until I have a hole in both of them ;)

24 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The 'set up' thing used to boggle me, but after taliking about it with others, it made more sense. Speedway bikes are only really controlled off the throttle, so varying track conditions play a lot in the throttle response.

Why riders get rid of stuff, maybe has something to do with only 'having the best gear',,, much the same as having the latest i-phone, la la la,,, whereas many a wiser person, can make good use out of what they've had for a while and, get their moneys worth. 'Make do and mend',,, but there will come a time when it has do be replaced. Myself, I won't throw a pair of socks out, until I have a hole in both of them ;)

Ivan Mauger used a notebook for every "set-up and track conditions" didn't do him any harm.! Half the riders are kidding themselves these days,as long as the have a flash van sign written and a couple of bikes they think they have "made it".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Ivan Mauger used a notebook for every "set-up and track conditions" didn't do him any harm.! Half the riders are kidding themselves these days,as long as the have a flash van sign written and a couple of bikes they think they have "made it".

Who uses notebooks these days ???,,, there's probly an app for all of that nonsense ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Who uses notebooks these days ???,,, there's probly an app for all of that nonsense ;)

All the Danes that came to us from Nicki onwards all had large mobile phones, which had a mini computer on the back which had their setups at every meeting they had raced professionally. Bjarne was the King with that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

All the Danes that came to us from Nicki onwards all had large mobile phones, which had a mini computer on the back which had their setups at every meeting they had raced professionally. Bjarne was the King with that.

I bet you still use a notebook Dave, 'allo,allo, allo' ;)

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Too many excuses nowadays IMO.

is that just in speedway, or life in general ?