British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, Pinny said:

The obvious answer to that is drop down a league?

and to Steve Park, when you lose every single meeting, which looking at other line ups looks extremely likely, come back and call it a ridiculous comment. Tool. 

Just because my opinion differs to yours, you have to resort to name calling? Well done.

I don't believe we will lose every single meeting, so I won't be "coming back" and, I believe, it will be you who will be eating humble pie.

• Like 1

The issue is not the 42.50 - its the fact over the winter so many heat leaders announced they were leaving the league - which left just 12 riders with average of 8 between 11 clubs

Then the 5 strong sides immediately signed up 2 each - leaving just 2 between the other 6 (before Scotty came free) - so the league was already split into 2 before the season started

Of course it would have been sensible to have the top 11 split across the league, but compromise (lack of) and total self interest ensured that didn't happen ..... along with the Kennett and nicholls saga

I don't think Im going out on a limb here but ...................

top 5 will be Glasgow sheffield Edinburgh Ipswich and Lakeside (any order)

middle 3 will be Peterboro Redcar and Scunthorpe

bottom 3 Workington Berwick and Newcastle - who will all lose their 10 away games

the top and middle 3 will be the 4tt competitors  ..... the clrc will come from there

the pairs winners will be 1 of the top 5

cup and league cup will be won by top 5

and the lottery numbers this weekend are 4  10 17 23 30 and 46

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Just because my opinion differs to yours, you have to resort to name calling? Well done.

I don't believe we will lose every single meeting, so I won't be "coming back" and, I believe, it will be you who will be eating humble pie.

You wont lose every meeting because of the track, a lot of visitors don't like it and just go through the motions to get it over with. Having said that; we don't know the full line-up, so that could be a surprise.

43 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

personally     I think the best set up was back when it was 45 point team average      

Is it not like having a 45 point team average.  I think bonus points were included in a rider's average years ago and now they aren't which would probably increase the team average by 2 or 3 points?

The Newcastle team (as well as others) could easily change so I wouldn't rule the team out (think possibly Glasgow were the only team to start and finish with the same team).

I also said at the start of last year that the riders champion possibly wasn't in the league (the first 2 were not) yet.

Edited by sparks123
Additional info

The track is a technical track which gives us some advantage ....... any decent rider will always score well at Brough

However since averages were brought in (84 I think) - Newcastle have only gone 1 season unbeaten at home (all matches)  ..........   when we last won the league Hull beat us in the Cup and when we won 3 trophies in 2010 (?) .... Edinburgh dusted us 50-40 at home

So Newcastle's home advantage is NOT that great

Certain teams in this league have gone unbeaten for several seasons at home - but because they have a wide track its open and fair - even though all the home riders had a huge advantage

Anyway, Im sure the top 5 are marking us down as a potential 4 pointer .......... and the other 5 are marking us down as potential away win ........   although I do think we will win those 5  

Says in this weeks speedway star that the promotion were disappointed and let down at the weekend by a rider who they had agreed terms with... If they were that let down why not just name him!!! I remember few years ago when Ian Thomas was let down by Graham Plant and he had the  whole speedway world knowing the next day what had happened 

Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Eating humble pie? I very much doubt that.

that Newcastle side named is absolutely dreadful. Even if the final rider is unbeatable it still looks poor. 

Its been built with zero ambition. Plenty of entertainers yes, but full of journeymen.

Can’t fault the riders signed its not their doing, its awful team building from a promotion and management who should know better.

hope Wilko has a good year, one of the good guys in speedway and always a favorite of mine at Newport. Never a dull moment with Carl in a race thats for sure! 

But unless changes are made, this side will be rock bottom.

• Like 1

Pinny, do you want cream or custard with it ? :D

Edited by semion

21 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Eating humble pie? I very much doubt that.

that Newcastle side named is absolutely dreadful. Even if the final rider is unbeatable it still looks poor. 

Its been built with zero ambition. Plenty of entertainers yes, but full of journeymen.

Can’t fault the riders signed its not their doing, its awful team building from a promotion and management who should know better.

hope Wilko has a good year, one of the good guys in speedway and always a favorite of mine at Newport. Never a dull moment with Carl in a race thats for sure! 

But unless changes are made, this side will be rock bottom.

it doesnt matter who signs who, someone will be bottom. Even without the final rider named they will win the majority of home meetings imo

but then I'm probably some kind of tool too

• Like 1

I think our 6 named riders will all pop up and score points and the team will surprise a few people who are writing us off, but when results are in may get a surprise.  We need a quality rider to lead us.. god knows who he will be

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dantodan said:

I think our 6 named riders will all pop up and score points and the team will surprise a few people who are writing us off, but when results are in may get a surprise.  We need a quality rider to lead us.. god knows who he will be

Ludde,,,

6 hours ago, mauger65 said:

The issue is not the 42.50 - its the fact over the winter so many heat leaders announced they were leaving the league - which left just 12 riders with average of 8 between 11 clubs

Then the 5 strong sides immediately signed up 2 each - leaving just 2 between the other 6 (before Scotty came free) - so the league was already split into 2 before the season started

Of course it would have been sensible to have the top 11 split across the league, but compromise (lack of) and total self interest ensured that didn't happen ..... along with the Kennett and nicholls saga

All done and dusted before the AGM.

It was fairly common knowledge two of our team was sorted for 2018 before we had won the KOC Final, no prizes for guessing who.

On 13/03/2018 at 11:55 AM, Winditon said:

To be honest I'm thankful we have Speedway. I know George has the club at heart but it was frustrating not hearing anything. I don't expect to know the club's business but a brief statement that was released yesterday is all we ask for. Onwards and Upwards now hopefully.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t normally comment much on here but I am a regular follower. I do think we are so fortunate to have a promoter so dedicated to newcastle speedway. I do think our  weakness as a club is communication and with the new promotion had hoped for significant improvements. I do trust that our promotion has the best of intentions, and will support the club through thick and thin, but if I ever had an audience with George, all I would say is, aslong as u talk and tell us the fans the truth, i will be returning every week,  no matter what, a lot happier than i do if we get a wall of silence. 

Here is hoping for for some really good news, and best of luck to George, Martin and the new sponsors. You can’t beat speedway, and speedway is never better than watching it at brough with the diamonds