Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Masters not in champs

Proctor at Worky  Prob 3danes 2 Aussie and Bewley and bickley

Rene at Worky

Kus at Redcar

Rose in Poland

Very hard to see riders committing to only 28 meetings over 31 weeks. Need doubling up with U.K. or abroad or it’s financial suicide.

agree with 2 leagues ( top 6 bottom 5 ) and wonder why the 8 point rule wasn’t introduced for this league as well.

the above is only my opinion as is not based on rumours

11 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Masters not in champs

Rene at Worky

Kus at Redcar

Rose in Poland

Very hard to see riders committing to only 28 meetings over 31 weeks. Need doubling up with U.K. or abroad or it’s financial suicide.

agree with 2 leagues ( top 6 bottom 5 ) and wonder why the 8 point rule wasn’t introduced for this league as well.

Kus at Redcar? Hope not!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Masters isn't riding Championship...

Isn't he? I thought he just wasn't at Edinburgh, thanks for information, well just another rider around his average instead then... Oh wait, there isn't any left :o

14 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Masters not in champs

Rene at Worky

Kus at Redcar

Rose in Poland

Wasn't aware

Probably

Hope not, Rene is my one hope of maybe having a decentish number 1 if he kicks on again

Doubt Kus will be at Redcar, I can see him at Brough if we run

And does he ride Sundays in Poland? Some says he will and some says he wont... In that case, Rene won't be back then as he's signed for Polish team hasn't he?

16 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Wasn't aware

Probably

Hope not, Rene is my one hope of maybe having a decentish number 1 if he kicks on again

Doubt Kus will be at Redcar, I can see him at Brough if we run

And does he ride Sundays in Poland? Some says he will and some says he wont... In that case, Rene won't be back then as he's signed for Polish team hasn't he?

I believe Matej has signed for a Polish club, not totally sure on that, if so out of the equation for Newcastle

45 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Masters not in champs

Rene at Worky (Doubt it, I'm sure he said he would ride for only Newcastle or Glasgow, has he not signed for a Polish team?)

Kus at Redcar (Highly unlikely, more likely to be in our squad)

Rose in Poland

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

'heaven help Redcar' = what you on about? My understanding is our septet is all but signed and sealed and being announced when they're good and ready to announce, which may well be the case for the Diamonds.

I only meant it in the sense redcar have only announced 1 - and given whats available -  I don't read the redcar webpage so im unaware they have their 7 lined up - no offence was intended at our lovely local rivals :-)

as for newcastles lineup - I just hinted it will be probably made up of our assets and brough favourites - of course no one is really sure whose signed up for what in Poland

perhaps that's why there is such silence ...........  never mind sponsorship ...... but George could be struggling to actually pull together a competitive team ............  and without that he knows crowds will struggle  

with 5 top class heat leaders leaving the league, 1 extra team, it left a dearth of top end talent ............. and the 5 teams quickest to the draw have snaffled up those available

I think Newcastle Workington Berwick and redcar should form their own breakaway league ...............   we could still have a league , knock out cup, pairs and four team tournament rounded off with a riders championship (4 from each team) and end of season playoffs for the top 2 :) as well as the tyne-tweed cup, tyne-tees cup, tweed-tees cup etc ..........  it will probably be our only hope of winning anything :D

3 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

I only meant it in the sense redcar have only announced 1 - and given whats available -  I don't read the redcar webpage so im unaware they have their 7 lined up - no offence was intended at our lovely local rivals :-)

as for newcastles lineup - I just hinted it will be probably made up of our assets and brough favourites - of course no one is really sure whose signed up for what in Poland

perhaps that's why there is such silence ...........  never mind sponsorship ...... but George could be struggling to actually pull together a competitive team ............  and without that he knows crowds will struggle  

with 5 top class heat leaders leaving the league, 1 extra team, it left a dearth of top end talent ............. and the 5 teams quickest to the draw have snaffled up those available

I think Newcastle Workington Berwick and redcar should form their own breakaway league ...............   we could still have a league , knock out cup, pairs and four team tournament rounded off with a riders championship (4 from each team) and end of season playoffs for the top 2 :) as well as the tyne-tweed cup, tyne-tees cup, tweed-tees cup etc ..........  it will probably be our only hope of winning anything :D

Wouldn't the riders championship, 4 from each team be exactly the same as the fours? And also the pairs would also be 4 from each team :o

1 hour ago, mauger65 said:

actually you might be joking but i wouldnt mind a spring tournament amongst those 4

20 minutes ago, ch958 said:

actually you might be joking but i wouldnt mind a spring tournament amongst those 4

Dont you get sick of riding against the same old teams? nothing worse than facing Newcastle four or five times a year, same with Berwick - pointless and boring.

3 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Dont you get sick of riding against the same old teams? nothing worse than facing Newcastle four or five times a year, same with Berwick - pointless and boring.

Uptil this year, it was to give you more of a chance to get a win. :P

But I agree, too many devalues the contests.

23 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Uptil this year, it was to give you more of a chance to get a win. :P

But I agree, too many devalues the contests.

If only the BSPA had the common sense when they set rules for 2018, rules should apply across the board for all leagues.  It should be one sport with one set of rules, the stupidity of not setting the rule from the PL of one rider over an eight point average to CL, was a crazy decision with the consequence of creating a massive unfair advantage  within the CL.

5 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

If only the BSPA had the common sense when they set rules for 2018, rules should apply across the board for all leagues.  It should be one sport with one set of rules, the stupidity of not setting the rule from the PL of one rider over an eight point average to CL, was a crazy decision with the consequence of creating a massive unfair advantage  within the CL.

Given that there are 17 riders who finished last season's Championship with an average over 8, that's a lot of riders arbitrarily out of a job.

The situation in the Premiership is very different.

22 minutes ago, MattK said:

Given that there are 17 riders who finished last season's Championship with an average over 8, that's a lot of riders arbitrarily out of a job.

The situation in the Premiership is very different.

At least 6 of those are not riding in the CL, leaves one per team, by not having that rule it allowed the richer clubs to sign 2 No1s, depriving over half the league of a No1 rider, creating 2 leagues within one the top 5 against each other and the bottom 6 in the other half. CRAZY CRAZY just puts off the paying fan, of course unless speedway does not need paying members of the public.

Cook------Grajczonek-----Holder------Howarth ?---------Lambert------Masters------not doing CL

Edited by balderdash&piffle

28 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

At least 6 of those are not riding in the CL, leaves one per team, by not having that rule it allowed the richer clubs to sign 2 No1s, depriving over half the league of a No1 rider, creating 2 leagues within one the top 5 against each other and the bottom 6 in the other half. CRAZY CRAZY just puts off the paying fan, of course unless speedway does not need paying members of the public.

Cook------Grajczonek-----Holder------Howarth ?---------Lambert------Masters------not doing CL

In fact, only two teams would be without a number one, Workington and Scunthorpe, if everyone re-signs at least one 8-pointer from last season. Workington have already signed Klindt, so in reality that leaves just Scunthorpe.

Of course, you are right that a richer club could poach an 8-pointer from another club, but isn't it part of teambuilding to ensure the services of the appropriate rider?

Either way it looks as if the 8-point rule won't spread the top riders around the Premiership, as clubs simply cannot afford to sign the surplus riders. This means that unless Somerset, Rye House and Kings Lynn can introduce new 8-pointers who didn't ride in 2017, they will come to the tapes without a recognised #1