British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, soupy said:

Yep but can not see us moving up if we are on a budget anyway,will be nice to see speedway back  soon after a winter of discontent.

So,,, Sundays it is then ? ;)

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

I think only Sun/Mon are available, so that might be scupper that.

It's been proved in the past few seasons  when we have been forced to race on a Monday there's been a big reduction in the size of the crowd. So although Sunday racing stops us attracting riders who race in Poland it looks like something we just have to get on with. The promotion can't afford to loose even a small minority of the crowd. I'd imagine it's something they've thought about loads of time but just doesn't seem viable. An example was last season against Glasgow in the cup with the tie hanging in the balance failed to attract a decent crowd for a Monday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Winditon said:

It's been proved in the past few seasons  when we have been forced to race on a Monday there's been a big reduction in the size of the crowd. So although Sunday racing stops us attracting riders who race in Poland it looks like something we just have to get on with. The promotion can't afford to loose even a small minority of the crowd. I'd imagine it's something they've thought about loads of time but just doesn't seem viable. An example was last season against Glasgow in the cup with the tie hanging in the balance failed to attract a decent crowd for a Monday.

Yeah, so Mondays would open the door to 'non-Poland' bound riders, but Mondays wouldn't be able to pay them,,,

One door opens and, the next one slams you in the face :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highside said:

I think its time for Newcastle to have a think about having a   race day change 

To what day?..... 

Monday Prem Lge, Tuesday Prem Lge, Wednedsday Prem Lge, Thursday Dogs, Friday Dogs, Saturday Dogs.....

Answer on a postcard....

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

To what day?..... 

Monday Prem Lge, Tuesday Prem Lge, Wednedsday Prem Lge, Thursday Dogs, Friday Dogs, Saturday Dogs.....

Answer on a postcard....

Exactly Steve. So we just got to make the most of it and be thankful we still have speedway at Newcastle.

Can we race with a 5 man team + 2 guests - anyone know?

Or are we going with Josh Embleton + 1 guest like end of last season?

Would be nice to get some sort of steer or statement of intent from the promoters if they are still not in a position to announce new signings

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

To what day?..... 

Answer on a postcard....

Or, as I posted last week, what division???

If Sunday isn't viable for Championship, it would be in the National League.

Sounds like the finances are a struggle at Championship level anyway.

Perhaps the U21 semi final will give a flavour of the future.

2 minutes ago, enotian said:

Would the fans support an NL team?

I know NL would be cheaper riders wise, but it would be the same outlay for stadium rent (I doubt they would reduce the rent just because we would be in a lower league), Ambulance cover, Ref fees etc. 

Bearing in mind we are down to the hardcore fans as it is, dropping down to NL doesn't necessarily mean it will be any easier on the finances, but, at the same time, any speedway is better than no speedway.

16 minutes ago, enotian said:

Would NL speedway attrack enough fans to pay the rent ???

Sorry, Steve has already highlighted that.

Edited by ruffdiamond

14 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Can we race with a 5 man team + 2 guests - anyone know?

Or are we going with Josh Embleton + 1 guest like end of last season?

Would be nice to get some sort of steer or statement of intent from the promoters if they are still not in a position to announce new signings

Sounds like head scratching is the current state of play.

Can't see how we'd be allowed to start the season with guests but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Perhaps if Kennett doesn't like the thought of the travel he could sign short term until say May by which point you'd expect who's actually getting rides in Poland to be clearer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Would the fans support an NL team?

I know NL would be cheaper riders wise, but it would be the same outlay for stadium rent (I doubt they would reduce the rent just because we would be in a lower league), Ambulance cover, Ref fees etc. 

Bearing in mind we are down to the hardcore fans as it is, dropping down to NL doesn't necessarily mean it will be any easier on the finances, but, at the same time, any speedway is better than no speedway.

Is it the standard or how successful the team is that determines crowd levels? 

It is the solution to the Sunday problem though. 

26 minutes ago, enotian said:

Sounds like head scratching is the current state of play.

Can't see how we'd be allowed to start the season with guests but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Perhaps if Kennett doesn't like the thought of the travel he could sign short term until say May by which point you'd expect who's actually getting rides in Poland to be clearer.

Yes. I had thought of that before. There is nothing stopping us to getting a short term signing whist looking for the emergence of a rider possibly dropped from a Polish squad, or a new rider being found whose circumstances have changed(dropped by a British club perhaps). It is even possible to have a series of short term signings to cover riders available to the UK because of gaps in their leagues such as Sweden and Denmark. I am sure George will be doing his best to get a decent pair of riders, even though he might have an eye on future developments.

If Danny Phillips has gone to Scunthorpe as has been pointed out on here, that leaves us as the only Team in our League with Riders short.

I fervently hope that something can be sorted out soon.

4 hours ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

We must be really struggling to get someone 

Obviously things don't seem to be straight forward with the delay in naming the last two riders but hopefully all will be revealed Soon. Fingers crossed.