British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Jake Knight Banned

so from now on..anyone who runs out of machinery due to no time to replace should just turn up to the next meeting and sit in the pits to miss the two minutes !!?? At least Jake gave notice so a replacement could be found...

Banning and fining riders that dont earn enough to cover costs isnt the answer..

By the way , Wimbledon had a track spare for anyone to ride.

An option for the future to make the clubs of today do the same!!!

Edited by ond
  • Like 3

so from now on..anyone who runs out of machinery due to no time to replace should just turn up to the next meeting and sit in the pits to miss the two minutes !!?? At least Jake gave notice so a replacement could be found...

Banning and fining riders that dont earn enough to cover costs isnt the answer..

By the way , Wimbledon had a track spare for anyone to ride.

An option for the future to make the clubs of today do the same!!!

More Tracks than Wimbledon had a 'Track Spare' ond - Norwich had a very famous one which the great Ove Fundin used to ride.

• Like 1

"BeeSpeed" at Brandon

The SpeedyBee if my memory isn't completely fading.

The idea of a track spare has disappeared. Perhaps at the National League level, the concept could be reintroduced. The fact that riders at the introductory level of the sport are expected to have two bikes, not just runners but highly competitive machines is bonkers. We want these lads (and girls, please) to learn their trade and be the champions of the future surely? Of course they want to win and their clubs want to be league champions. But let's get the priorities right. Track time, race craft, mechanical skill, team riding (what's that?) and dealing with the press and fans. Surely these are the attributes we should be seeking to develop?

Oh well. Maybe I'm just an old fogey?

• Like 2

More Tracks than Wimbledon had a 'Track Spare' ond - Norwich had a very famous one which the great Ove Fundin used to ride.

I would think Ond is referring to when Wimbledon were in the Conference / National league,so comparable to Eastbourne now. I find it incredible that this rule has been enforced against Jake Knight (I can't imagine he was pre warned that he would get a ban) - let's see if We get consistency in the future. Of course, any rider in similar circumstances will now just turn up and go through the motions - 5 exclusion s under the 2 min rule?

Edited by Sir Sidney

Surely repeated exclusions under the two minute rule would also be a ban, looking at the Chris holder ban as a precedent?

......False dawn.......Oh well. Maybe I'm just an old fogey?

The 'like' was for the post not this bit because you're not. :wink:

• Like 1

The SpeedyBee if my memory isn't completely fading.

The idea of a track spare has disappeared. Perhaps at the National League level, the concept could be reintroduced. The fact that riders at the introductory level of the sport are expected to have two bikes, not just runners but highly competitive machines is bonkers. We want these lads (and girls, please) to learn their trade and be the champions of the future surely? Of course they want to win and their clubs want to be league champions. But let's get the priorities right. Track time, race craft, mechanical skill, team riding (what's that?) and dealing with the press and fans. Surely these are the attributes we should be seeking to develop?

Oh well. Maybe I'm just an old fogey?

...recall the days that Oxford had a track spare it was abused and the bike stripped for its parts. Therefore the idea didn't last long.

I think regulations need to reflect economic realities at particular levels. Where riders are riding at a level where they're little more than amateurs, a blown engine should be a reasonable excuse for withdrawing from a meeting, provided the call off is in sufficient time for a promoter to find a replacement. It's annoying for a promoter, but little different from an injury or dodgy sick note in practice.

No excuse at a professional level though.

• Like 2

Surely repeated exclusions under the two minute rule would also be a ban, looking at the Chris holder ban as a precedent?

Yes, I was just being a bit flippant - however, depending on just how bad a rider's machinery really is, the method of turning up but not being able to compete might vary.

At National League level how many bikes and engines can a rider be expected to have, and what is a realistic timescale for him to get competitive equipment in place if he has had genuine issues? As HA said, the regulations need to reflect the realities at the particular level.

• Like 1

For your info, Jake has 2x complete bikes, would be great to have a spare engines but this is unviable at present. Unfortunately as stated Jake had sized engine in first ride and had metal in oil on spare, all parties were notified the night before in Manchester. Jake was gutted that he was going to miss meeting,with no time to get anything sorted he felt best to let all know of his predicament. Ban has now be fulfilled and he can move on.

Richard

• Like 3

For your info, Jake has 2x complete bikes, would be great to have a spare engines but this is unviable at present. Unfortunately as stated Jake had sized engine in first ride and had metal in oil on spare, all parties were notified the night before in Manchester. Jake was gutted that he was going to miss meeting,with no time to get anything sorted he felt best to let all know of his predicament. Ban has now be fulfilled and he can move on.

Richard

Hard done by IMO ,if it happens again just phone in with a"sickness bug" the next morning.Ask Lambert for Doctors name.!
  • Like 1

Yes, I was just being a bit flippant - however, depending on just how bad a rider's machinery really is, the method of turning up but not being able to compete might vary.

At National League level how many bikes and engines can a rider be expected to have, and what is a realistic timescale for him to get competitive equipment in place if he has had genuine issues? As HA said, the regulations need to reflect the realities at the particular level.

tbf, a rider can miss a normal NL meeting for any reason - schoolwork, fancied a night in with the missus or a few beers at the pub with his mates etc.

its just these rules apply to BSPA shared events..which on one hand is understandable, on another not so much

Still no announcement about a ban for Jack Holder.

You missed it?

From the BSPA statement on August 6th;

"If the rider had gone to Poland and raced without the permission of his club he would have been banned for withholding his services for 28 days - this is not the case with Jack Holder as his club have given him their blessing and we have evidence of the true reason."