British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Jake Knight Banned

NL riders want the big money like professional riders but when it suits them they want the amateur status , riders have pulled out of this meeting for years because the pay is standard money , I guess the SCB have finally taken a stand and good on them , more and more I hear I wouldnt get out of bed for that money and thats from average NL riders

• Like 3

NL riders want the big money like professional riders but when it suits them they want the amateur status , riders have pulled out of this meeting for years because the pay is standard money , I guess the SCB have finally taken a stand and good on them , more and more I hear I wouldnt get out of bed for that money and thats from average NL riders

If it was for £10 point and £10 a start i am surprised any rider does it, except for fun. What was the pay rate for the Premier league Chanptionship?

If it was for £10 point and £10 a start i am surprised any rider does it, except for fun. What was the pay rate for the Premier league Chanptionship?

The what?

The what?

Rare for me. not proofreading a post prior to posting but I was hoping to find out what the pay rate was on offer for the Premier League Riders Championship ( no doubt shortly to be re-named anyway and could easily be the PLR Chanptioship ).

• Like 1

I thought the NL was for up and coming riders, a couple of seasons max before moving on. The third division in Britain has never been a professional league i.e. earning a wage.

• Like 2

I thought the NL was for up and coming riders, a couple of seasons max before moving on. The third division in Britain has never been a professional league i.e. earning a wage.

That was the idea,before some clubs started to treat As Professional and payed over the odds rate.Riders like Roynan,Hall,Clegg to name a few are certainly not riding for standard rates( whatever they may be)

Well, yes. Considering this we have had (in no particular order) the Championship Fours, Kings Lynn, the Jack Holder affair, Paul Hurry's NL average, Harland Cook's NL average, Isle of Wight being shafted right, left and centre, JPB's ban, Josh Auty's 'retirement', Lakeside just being allowed not to contest a cup tie and possibly a couple of other incidents I have forgotten about, wouldn't you think that's enough incident for one year?

It's said that speedway in Britain needs an independent adjudicator. Yes, it almost certainly does, but given that catalogue of cock ups I've mentioned above, just who on earth is a big enough masochist to take it all on?

Edited to add: A fair number of matches in all three leagues becoming guest and R/R city due to the ludicrous double/triple up/down scenario allowed by the sport's administrators.

Just wait til next year when the Coventry Bees ride out of their new "home" in Perry Barr... :nono:

It is very wrong for a rider to miss a meeting for no reason at all. However, didn't Mildenhall go nuts last season when Luke Chessell pulled out of a meeting because he had no machinery and Cradley brought in Matt Williamson instead? The reasoning is the same but on one occasion you get a ban and on the other a guest ? .

As others have said what about Davey ? He rode Saturday night, so why hasn't he been banned ?

You can argue all you want about riders withdrawing but that still doesn't excuse in any way the crass standard of rulings we have seen in the NL this season. Harland Cook, Paul Hurry, Adam Roynon, Matt Marson and now Jake Knight. Every single one inconsistent, incompetent, biased or vicious (or all four).

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that major honours in this seasons NL will go to clubs whose teams are either illegal within the rules of the sport or who have benefited from appalling and completely unjustifiable decisions.

Nothing will damage the credibility of the sport in general and the NL in particular more than that.

Well, yes. Considering this we have had (in no particular order) the Championship Fours, Kings Lynn, the Jack Holder affair, Paul Hurry's NL average, Harland Cook's NL average, Isle of Wight being shafted right, left and centre, JPB's ban, Josh Auty's 'retirement', Lakeside just being allowed not to contest a cup tie and possibly a couple of other incidents I have forgotten about, wouldn't you think that's enough incident for one year?

It's said that speedway in Britain needs an independent adjudicator. Yes, it almost certainly does, but given that catalogue of cock ups I've mentioned above, just who on earth is a big enough masochist to take it all on?

Edited to add: A fair number of matches in all three leagues becoming guest and R/R city due to the ludicrous double/triple up/down scenario allowed by the sport's administrators.

Been saying it for years and will repeat it now.

Thing is, I don't think any of the above decisions are particularly difficult. Should Harland Cook have got an average reduction after years out of the sport ? Of course he should. Should Paul Hurry's average have been reduced by 3 points ? Of course not.

We simply have to have someone who is not linked to any club, has a very sound grasp of the rules and can follow and make precedent. Chances of the BSPA allowing that to happen are absolutely zero, because they want the opportunity to cheat, manipulate and do things 'in the interests of the sport'.

• Like 3

Halifaxtiger wrote " We simply have to have someone who is not linked to any club, has a very sound grasp of the rules and can follow and make precedent. Chances of the BSPA allowing that to happen are absolutely zero, because they want the opportunity to cheat, manipulate and do things 'in the interests of the sport'."

And that phrase " in the interests of the sport " will remain as a catch all way of overcoming every anomaly that shows up. Even the most corrupt ones and is one reason why the sport will not get out of it's present decline.

• Like 1

I wouldn't criticise the action taken against Knight, but there is a need for consistency. The BSPA have created a "please yourself when you ride" scenario by by allowing riders to opt out of their commitments through "work commitments" "pre-booked holidays" "lack of machinery" etc, and now seem surprised when riders abuse the rule left right and centre.

Any rider missing a match through any reason other than a genuine injury should get a similar two match ban anda fine - and there should be no exceptions. Only when the rules are clearly set out and rigidly enforced will speedway begin to regain some credibility.

• Like 7

I wouldn't criticise the action taken against Knight, but there is a need for consistency. The BSPA have created a "please yourself when you ride" scenario by by allowing riders to opt out of their commitments through "work commitments" "pre-booked holidays" "lack of machinery" etc, and now seem surprised when riders abuse the rule left right and centre.

Any rider missing a match through any reason other than a genuine injury should get a similar two match ban anda fine - and there should be no exceptions. Only when the rules are clearly set out and rigidly enforced will speedway begin to regain some credibility.

The decision can be immediately criticised because two riders pulled out on the day but only one has been banned. Just how can that be the case ?

Could the fact that Knight is involved in the play offs but Davey isn't have something to do with it ?

For your info, Jake had informed the relevant parties of his predicament on the Saturday night at Belle Vue, sized motor in his first ride, and then metal in the oil on his spare bike. This was not about money as he was looking forward to the meeting. Having given his reasons on the Saturday night and no mention of a ban he went home and striped both bikes, He now has engine bills circa £1500 and has lost 2 home meetings. Renting or borrowing engines may have been a option if it was not for the fact he was at Belle Vue the night before. He is not the rider to miss meetings without good reason. We are still awaiting feedback from the BSPA as Jake was not aware of any mis doing until he received a text of Wednesday to say he was banned. Some 4 days after his notification to the BSPA.

Richard

• Like 3

The decision can be immediately criticised because two riders pulled out on the day but only one has been banned. Just how can that be the case ?

Could the fact that Knight is involved in the play offs but Davey isn't have something to do with it ?

while I agree that all riders should receive the same treatment, I am reliably informed that Daveys excuse was genuine ,I am still sceptical but thats what Im told , you know me I am highly critical of the way some riders treat the speedway even at NL level and until its dealt with properly we will always get events like this
  • Like 1

while I agree that all riders should receive the same treatment, I am reliably informed that Daveys excuse was genuine ,I am still sceptical but thats what Im told , you know me I am highly critical of the way some riders treat the speedway even at NL level and until its dealt with properly we will always get events like this

I could argue that Knight's excuse was too. My beef, though, isn't about riders getting pulled up for missing meetings without reasonable cause - where that's concerned, I agree with your view.

However, until we have a consistent procedure that is applied across the board Knight's punishment is wrong and, given that he rides for a team who are in the play offs, was made quite possibly to deliberately weaken Eastbourne's chances.

Given the record of crooked, incompetent and vicious decisions we have seen in the NL, can anyone actually say otherwise ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I could argue that Knight's excuse was too. My beef, though, isn't about riders getting pulled up for missing meetings without reasonable cause - where that's concerned, I agree with your view.

However, until we have a consistent procedure that is applied across the board Knight's punishment is wrong and, given that he rides for a team who are in the play offs, was made quite possibly to deliberately weaken Eastbourne's chances.

Given the record of crooked, incompetent and vicious decisions we have seen in the NL, can anyone actually say otherwise ?

unfortunatly not , the Richard hall Birmingham saga said it all to me ,when Everyone knows the decisions are really made by peter Morrishs superior who just happens to be the promoter of the very team who hall eventually rides for , it stinks and its always been the same
  • Like 3