British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich V Sheffield Po Final 2nd Leg 30-9-17

We'll all have to agree to disagree then...

Also thought it was very gracious of the Ipswich promotion to allow the sheffield supporters on centre green to congratulate our riders face to face and celebrate with them. Was a nice touch.

• Like 8

Also thought it was very gracious of the Ipswich promotion to allow the sheffield supporters on centre green to congratulate our riders face to face and celebrate with them. Was a nice touch.

Im very proud of my club for doing this👍

I think we are generally a gracious lot down here - perhaps weve just got used to losing! 😆

Its why I made a point of going down from my seat to say well done and shake a few of your hands once you clinched it 👍

• Like 4

Sheffield certainly wanted to win tonight, a couple of our riders didn't look as good as you would expect from them.

Kyle Howarth is one of the most improved riders around the ipswich track. His last couple of visits have been very impressive.

I don't want to single any ipswich riders out, it was clear to see who, but they under performed, they can say what whey want in the paper, but it's on the track it's done...oops maybe just have given their identities away.

Will sheffield also stuff us out the cup??? Of course and again very easily.

Maybe for next season Skinner and Badiel could make a record for ipswich witches, 20 years of hurt and all that.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 2

And thats how it should be. without fans speedway has nothing. Well done Sheffield

• Like 1

Maybe for next season Skinner and Badiel could make a record for ipswich witches, 20 years of hurt and all that.

Its coming home Its coming home Speedways coming home

3 Witches on a broom Craven Shield still gleaming

20 years of hurt never stopped the dreaming

Its coming home Its coming home.....

That one Baldy? 😀

I think at 39 Nicholls can cope with a few boo's. All will be forgotten when he probably ends up back with the witches next season. He tweeted about the response he was getting yesterday and if any extra motivation was needed then that was it.

Obviously not seeing what people are on about in heat 1 it's not for me to really comment but I will echo the thoughts previously put on here that Scott is no dirty rider. Very hard at times but has always left racing room, this was the grand final second leg and he was going to set the tone from the start. Glad to see his night picked up and grabbed a few wins.

Also very happy for simon stead, a guest at Nuneaton speedway supporters club earlier in the year. Came across really well and you can see what his team think of him.

Congratulations to Sheffield on winning and congratulations to Ipswich in taking defeat the right way. A certain Manchester club learn a few things from you all.

• Like 2

Congrats to Sheffo , well deserved Champs.

Also appropriate that the best two teams in the SGBC fought out the Play Off Final.

If it comes to pass that the top league restrict their race nights to Mondays & Thursdays in 2018, then I expect both Sheffield & Ipswich to be part of it.

• Like 3

Only negative I can take from the meeting was the Ipswich fans booing Scott Nicholls, which I found absolutely disgraceful. He was there to do a job and earn a living and he did a brilliant one. Thanks to him for stepping in at last minute to guest for Grajczonek who has been the best rider in the league all season long.

Not all Ipswich fans.....I was getting a tiny bit annoyed at those doing it.

Good meeting, brilliant atmosphere (apart from the aforementioned booing), huge crowd and lastly, well done Sheffield...you so deserved to lift the title.

• Like 7

Congrats to Sheffield well done you deserve it. Got a lot of time for Kyle after last years final pleased for him and the rest of the team

• Like 3

Congratulations to Sheffield, at the end of the day it’s their name on the trophy. Fair play to the Ipswich supporters for being so gracious too, not sure I would be!

Had their work cut out before their season even got started with Newman coming a cropper at Poole. Then as soon as he returned the injuries to Covatti and Hume (who was making a mockery of his average by the way) were catastrophic.

Then as the season came to the climax they lost their in form rider (Heeps) and then just as he returned for the final, they lost an in form reserve (Mountain) and replaced him with inferior riders in Bacon and Bowtell!

Sheffield on the other hand went in to the play offs at full strength and got a lucky break picking up Gravesen at reserve who has contributed hugely.

Not sure I agree that the best team always finishes top or wins the league, in this sport luck plays a massive part too. No doubt in my mind that the 1-7 Chris Louis put together last winter was a title winner. Their chance had gone as soon as they replaced Covatti with Sedgman. 1 point last night from R/R when Covatti is usually good for double figures tells you everything.

Sorry Ippo fans can’t help but have a little chuckle at your misfortune. Ever since Ipswich dropped to the PL they’ve put together some corking sides but still the wait goes on.

Maybe next year!

• Like 2

As Kyle headed across the line into lap 4 leading heat 8 the tie was very much still there for the taking.

The 4-2 there wouldve put us 8 up and with some momentum.

Unfortunately that all changed by the exit of turn 2 and really at that point it was all over.

To be honest I wouldve traded any chance we still had to win anyway to see them all get up and walk away - it was a sickener of a crash.

• Like 2

As somebody that doesn't believe in the playoffs system, I personally feel that the team that finishes top of the league are the champions, so as far as I'm concerned Sheffield won it fair and square and the Witches deserved runners up. That said, if there has to be a play-off then the two best teams in the league are in it and it would be no mean feat either if Ipswich pulled it off. So best of luck to everybody, hope its a cracking meeting worthy of the occasion and no injuries.

Good to see the two best teams this season in the final and the result in line with the league positions (sorry Ippo, if it had been the other way round I'd have said the same, I've just never been in favour of the playoffs system).

Congrats to Sheffield, well deserved. And commiserations to the Witches, well deserved runners up.

• Like 1

Well done Sheffield clearly the better team over the 2 legs, finished top so deserved the title.

The racing on the night was pretty good

No issues with Scott guesting but clear to anyone he put Greaves in the fence in heat one there isn't a defence of that.

If heat 8 had finished the way it looked then the tie might have been on but in the end it was just good to see all the riders get up.

Such a shame that injuries wrecked our season but we can be proud of the way we have come through it.

Not once did our original 1-7 come to the tapes.

Newman injured on the ploughed field at Poole before we had a match.

Covatti then suffering a season with ending injury and never being replaced properly.

Hume then suffering the same fate. Though Greaves has been superb.

We then lose a flying Heeps just before the play offs and then Connor as well

Would have been nice to see how we would have got on but that's speedway.

I think Danny will be disappointed and the last couple of months has been poor really. If Scott comes next season I think Danny may go.

A top 3 of Nicholls , Schlien and Covatti with Heeps and Newman would be very strong if doable. Hume and Mountain obvious choices for reserve.

Just watched Nico carve his way past Musielak and Zengota in his first ride of last nights Euro Pairs.

Oh what couldve been.....

• Like 1