British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich V Sheffield Po Final 2nd Leg 30-9-17

Last night had....

Great crowd but thought there would have been many more away fans being a Saturday night victory within touch.

Decent racing but that's more down to 2 evenly matched sides, Well done Sheffield..rather than what you would see against a team not bothered (Peterborough A fixture to name just 1)

A little bit of early controversy to get the fans "interacting"

If only more meetings could be like that...

However what was disappointing was the reaction by many new fans to the night. Spoke to a few and all said the same.

"what was going on."

1.both teams have same colours so hard to see who was who. Helmet colours.. What?

2.didnt know score as nothing was explained (eg 3 2 1 0) and scoreboard was hard to see.

3. Most importantly the PA system was yet again was told that Kevin Long had been replaced and Craig Saul was on the Mic. Didn't matter as didn't hear what was he was saying.

This needs sorting and to repeat what I've said in the past is a health and safety issue. The biggest crowd for years and if anything had happened in the stadium the public would not have been given clear instructions on what to do.

Oh well always next year......

Ps. After their crashes hope both Kyle and Nathan ok. Along with Cam they should be 1st 3 names on any team sheet

This has been going on far far too long. The PA system really has got to be sorted out. It is so bad, that it is really affecting my enjoyment at Foxhall.

Edited by iandean3
  • Like 1

Congratulations Sheffield, was there really 4500 there?

That was my estimate Cookie.

The main back straight stand has 3500 seats and looked 3 quarter full.

The home straight stand and to bend 1 was full.

Bend 1 and 2 terracing and vack straight below main stand upto bend 3 was 10+ deep all round. Thats about 200 metres.

So over 2000 in main stand

500 home stand and towards bend 1

2000 on main terracing

Thats how I estimated it.

Well done to Sheffield ,always looked a good top 5,but IMO signing Graveson as reserve sealed it fo them.

• Like 1

Nice little earner then... no wonder it was ridden on Saturday rather than this Thursday when Heeps would have been able to take a RR ride... or am i not being fair? At least some of that money can go towards a new pa....

Edited...

Anyone notice that the stadium started to empty after heat 12? When it was announced that Sheffield had won the play offs.. a fair few newbies left thinking it was the end!

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

If nicholls had took greaves off he would have been excluded for it, it was bang infront of me and nicholls had passed him on the straight and greaves turned left onto nicholls back wheel resulting in him falling off on his own accord. Correct decision for him to be excluded.

Agree with this, greaves usually panics when riders go under him, he did it all last season at Sheffield, and again Thursday night when Kurtz went under him in heat six and he moved right out which caused Graj to hurt himself trying to avoid him.

and greaves went no where near the fence he fell off in the middle of the straight with plenty of room to manoeuvre out of Scotts way.

and about the booing, it started before heat 1 so it wasn't because of the greaves incident, it was a few Ipswich fans who didn't want him to accept a booking against them, how many fans would have turned down a pay day, or turn down the opportunity to ride in such a meeting

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 2

Agree with this, graves usually panics when riders go under him, he did it all last season at Sheffield, and again Thursday night when Kurtz went under him in heat six and he moved right out which caused Graj to hurt himself trying to avoid him.

and greaves went no where near the fence he fell off in the middle of the straight with plenty of room to manoeuvre out of Scotts way.

and about the booing, it started before heat 1 so it wasn't because of the greaves incident, it was a few Ipswich fans who didn't want him to accept a booking against them, how many fans would have turned down a pay day, or turn down the opportunity to ride in such a meeting

Greaves panics Ha Ha Ha how many times have you seen him this season I wonder .

• Like 3

Well done to Sheffield ,always looked a good top 5,but IMO signing Graveson as reserve sealed it fo them.

Defo he's made the difference a good team rider looks for his partner a great ride in heat 2 on Thursday to look for wood and follow him round

just got up after a late arrival back from foxhole.words fail me.i must admit that following the first leg, things would have been very close, but what an absolutely terrific performance from all of the tigers and you could see that they were hungry for the title.to a man, they were awesome last night and i,m still on a very big high.was a bit gutted that me and the missus couldn't be on the centre green to savour the win as she suffers a lot with her hips but she was so emotional that maybe she wouldn't have been able to see her way there anyway.after following the tigers for a very long time this must rank as one of the best moments of my life.very good crowd, good atmosphere,ipswich fans are a terrific set of supporters and was having a really good chat about all sorts speedway related.commiserations to all connected with ipswich but a truly huge well done to everyone connected with the champions.

• Like 2

Greaves panics Ha Ha Ha how many times have you seen him this season I wonder .

based on last season and seeing him a few times at Sheffield this season and on TV, perhaps they were the only times this season he has done that, must have been unlucky when I have seen him, If I am wrong then so be it

• Like 1

Just not parking all the tractors on he centre green would probably do !

I've always felt that the tractor that parks alongside the back straight is in a very dangerous place. If a rider loses it coming out of turn 2 and heads towards the centre green it could have dire consequences.

Having said that, unless they change the grading gear I assume the tractor couldn't be parked on the car track with the breakdown trucks.

based on last season and seeing him a few times at Sheffield this season and on TV, perhaps they were the only times this season he has done that, must have been unlucky when I have seen him, If I am wrong then so be it

If going on last season then you might have a point , when he 1st joined us this season there was some worry but watching him week in week out at foxhall he has improved so much in fact if he don't win some kind if reward at the end of season do there must be something wrong .

Yes I will admit his style of riding is full on and 110% effort , he has been guilty of over riding at times but still a young lad and at times most young riders are guilty of that .

Even Bates last night was a bit erratic his 1st st couple of rides was all over the place but did calm down aftet that .

All in all both teams wanted to win and effort from both sets of riders was there nothing wrong with that . Did look like there was a couple of slick patches appearing on track as the night went on .

That was my estimate Cookie.

The main back straight stand has 3500 seats and looked 3 quarter full.

The home straight stand and to bend 1 was full.

Bend 1 and 2 terracing and vack straight below main stand upto bend 3 was 10+ deep all round. Thats about 200 metres.

So over 2000 in main stand

500 home stand and towards bend 1

2000 on main terracing

Thats how I estimated it.

From my spot on the home straight, the back straight stand looked more than 3 quarters full, there were very few seats free at one point. Very very busy on the home straight, almost to claustrophobic levels for me as I am unable to stand for meetings and all I could see around me (apart from in front of me) was lots and lots of legs and bums!

From my spot on the home straight, the back straight stand looked more than 3 quarters full, there were very few seats free at one point. Very very busy on the home straight, almost to claustrophobic levels for me as I am unable to stand for meetings and all I could see around me (apart from in front of me) was lots and lots of legs and bums!

so quite possibly more than my estimate then 😲

Just not parking all the tractors on he centre green would probably do !

Well it would probably be cheaper!! :)

Sitting where I was in the back straight stand there were a number of empty seats too (and I did have a shower beforehand). Difficult to judge.

Great view from there, but the sound is woeful, only Kevin Long seemed to be able to project his voice sufficiently for us to hear, shame he wasn't doing last night. And the lighting isn't great for filling in the programme either.

Agree a bit more could have been done to explain the basics to newcomers, but I think the size of the crowd took a lot of people by surprise, glad I got there early.

The racing was entertaining enough, but somehow the first heat incident seemed to set the scene for the evening. Could have done with getting off to a flyer. Nevertheless Sheffield, as everyone else has said, are indeed worthy winners, congratulations.

Edited by Tactical Joker