British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Premiership Grand Final 1st Leg Swindon V Wolves 02.10.17

What does it matter whether Swindon topped the league by 1 pt or 10? They still finished first, and now have to go through the formality of beating Wolves.

Canterbury and Newcastle once ended the year level, and it went to race pts to separate them.

Still, with Sheffield topping the Championship table and winning, and Swindon looking nailed on to do likewise at least it shows up the play-offs as the waste of time they are.

...and don't get me started on this promotion/relegation bollox. :mad:

Try reading the post I was replying too.

In addition, the one thing some people seemingly fail to grasp every time is, if there were no play-offs we don't know for sure Swindon would have finished top. Everything can pan out very differently, there are different pressures involved and the results may not be the same.

Yes, complete waste of time Ipswich getting at least 4500 fans in for their playoff match with Sheffield.

As for tonight, I travel with a tiny bit of hope and zero expectation. If we are within 20 after this leg I will be very surprised. Not only are we missing Lindgren and Thorsell but Masters is riding well below par, whether it's injury or engines not up to speed. As long as they give their all that's all Wolves fans can ask for and 'if' they can perform the heroics to keep it relatively close who knows on Wednesday.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

A few showers forecast for later.

At least we will turn them on, unlike Poole

• Like 5

18-20 point win for Swindon tonight followed by a 4-6 point Swindon win on Wednesday.

Injuries have rendered the final a complete non event sad to say. What a shame.

• Like 1

Try reading the post I was replying too.

In addition, the one thing some people seemingly fail to grasp every time is, if there were no play-offs we don't know for sure Swindon would have finished top. Everything can pan out very differently, there are different pressures involved and the results may not be the same.

Yes, complete waste of time Ipswich getting at least 4500 fans in for their playoff match with Sheffield.

As for tonight, I travel with a tiny bit of hope and zero expectation. If we are within 20 after this leg I will be very surprised. Not only are we missing Lindgren and Thorsell but Masters is riding well below par, whether it's injury or engines not up to speed. As long as they give their all that's all Wolves fans can ask for and 'if' they can perform the heroics to keep it relatively close who knows on Wednesday.

Probably the fans who decided to wait until the playoffs once it was clear the Witches were in them.

Probably the fans who decided to wait until the playoffs once it was clear the Witches were in them.

Ah, ok, so they were getting 4500 earlier in the year were they, then they stopped going to 'wait' till they were in the playoffs..

I see.

More likely, the various fans who go to various meetings throughout the season, rather than every week, all deciding to go to this one particular meeting.

I don't go every week. Maybe 3 or 4 meetings throughout the season. I shall be going to tonight's play-off meeting. Were there no play-offs, I would still be going to 3 or 4 meetings throughout the season.

Although there are many people who go every week, it's not going to be the exact same people in the stadium for every match.

I would have no issue with this - although as has been pointed out it is not currently permitted in the rules. Losing one rider would be bad enough but to lose the top 2 certainly doesn't seem like a fair match-up - but that's not Swindon's fault.

Didn't Lakeside have their top 2 missing in a final, making the 2nd leg an anti climax, for obvious season ending Injuries some sort of rule needs to be Implemented, using your own asset seems fair, so long as averages allow.

• Like 1

18-20 point win for Swindon tonight followed by a 4-6 point Swindon win on Wednesday.

Injuries have rendered the final a complete non event sad to say. What a shame.

Yes its a shame. The only thing that could of made it worse was your lot being in it.

• Like 1

Yes its a shame. The only thing that could of made it worse was your lot being in it.

Lol!

Come on Wolves fans, Don't give up yet! If it's any consolation this Bees fan will be cheering you on! 😉

• Like 1

As for tonight, I travel with a tiny bit of hope and zero expectation.

"Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour." Robert Louis Stevenson.

I fear we may be doing a lot of labouring, mind!

• Like 1

Lol!

Come on Wolves fans, Don't give up yet! If it's any consolation this Bees fan will be cheering you on!

Especially with Bees legend Harris riding. Come on bomber.

• Like 1

Especially with Bees legend Harris riding. Come on bomber.

Would have been behind them anyway. But yes, having Bomber is fab! You know he'll give it everything too! He's helped the Bees to several titles, he can do it again 😊

Edited by Jacques