British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Premiership Grand Final 1st Leg Swindon V Wolves 02.10.17

Anyone seen Fred flange he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth but maybe that's not a bad thing lol

For 99.9% of the forum, that is a great thing.

• Like 7

id also say the ref wasnt fair

a few rollers and jumps were missed from both teams warning for was it morris for unsporting conduct after he fell but when the wolves rider fell (riss maybe) stayed down with no intention of getting up untill musilak looked to have a issue and he jumped up and dragged bike off track

now there is 2 issues depending which way you favour it was musilak under power when race was stopped and what was the difference (apart from a little more severe crash) with riss and morris as it was obvious riss jumped up as soon as it looked like they were getting 3-2 as opposed to 3-3

Back from Blunsdon.

7.30pm tonight. Where's Rosco? In the pits, making sure everything is OK with his riders? Or prancing about on the centre green, being interviewed and waving at the fans?

Complete complacency from Robins. Deserved to lose.

All the best

Rob

Well, that wasn't in the script...

Congratulations to the Wolves. Faster out of the gate and rode the right lines when behind. Even when the Robins made the gate they all looked slow and were easily passed.

It would be interesting to get more substance to Schlein's comments re the Swindon riders.

There is still a chance the Robins can turn it around, if they ride as a team, however, on tonight's evidence I fully expect the Wolves to finish the job off...

id also say the ref wasnt fair

a few rollers and jumps were missed from both teams warning for was it morris for unsporting conduct after he fell but when the wolves rider fell (riss maybe) stayed down with no intention of getting up untill musilak looked to have a issue and he jumped up and dragged bike off track

now there is 2 issues depending which way you favour it was musilak under power when race was stopped and what was the difference (apart from a little more severe crash) with riss and morris as it was obvious riss jumped up as soon as it looked like they were getting 3-2 as opposed to 3-3

Not sure what you are on about, when Riss fell in heat 12, wolves were on 5-1, what was the point of staying down ?

• Like 4

Wow - how the heck did that happen?

After last Monday and then Wednesday against BV - I honestly thought we were done for, and obviously totally gutted to see my personal favorite rider in Freddie seriously hurt and Jacob who has become such an entertainer home and away this year - with his improvement going largely unnoticed but thats not always a bad thing.

Step up Rory Schlein, :D Kyle Howarth :t: and Sam Masters. :D

Wow! All three have been impressive this year so maybe we were harsh to think this was beyond us. I guess you just don't expect this to happen. I've visited Swindon many times over the years and seen some decent performances and some total whitewashes but this just shows anything is possible!

Chris Harris- the sort of rider you want riding for you in a play off meeting. Mark and Nathan - did their job. Come on Wolves - lets do this for Jacob and Fast Freddie who have literally been unstoppable this year at Monmore.

Its not over yet and I hope theres a decent meeting for the neutrals to watch on Wednesday - we need to keep our cool.

• Like 1

Im hearing that Gavan has just put in for Rosco's job.. :icon_smile_clown:

Anyone seen Fred flange he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth but maybe that's not a bad thing lol

The thread is debating just fine. Really no need to encourage the usual trash talk that takes over.

Great result for Wolves, very much against the odds. Swindon not out of it.

The thread is debating just fine. Really no need to encourage the usual trash talk that takes over.

Great result for Wolves, very much against the odds. Swindon not out of it.

It would be very dangerous from a wolves perspective to assume that the tie is over. Sure Adams will try and guard against that.

Quite an enjoyable meeting, mostly due to the shock factor, and the fact that the Play-Offs never let us down.

Track looked fine to me; there were some decent races, but like King's Lynn, the Swindon track is not what it once was. Racing wise it looked as good as most matches from Swindon, and track looked in better nick than usual.

Masters was sublime, he along with Schlein (although he faded away towards the end) were the main reasons for Wolves' success, not the track, complacency, the moon, etc, etc.

Masters' form since his injury has been very average, but tonight he really stepped up, and was magnificent.

In truth, the whole Wolves side shone at some point.

In the Play-Offs, you always have to expect the unexpected (just ask any Vetlanda fan), and I think this tie is far from over. Wolves will be without their best 2 riders round Monmore, and no doubt because of this (and the added pressure) will have less home track advantage than normal. Swindon are more than capable of winning round there, they will need to perform a damn sight better than they did tonight though.

• Like 1

Wow.

Not long back from the meeting and still expecting to wake up and realise I have a drive to Swindon for a 20+pt defeat ahead of me.

Before the meeting every Wolves fan I spoke too all said if we got within 20 we'd have done well. A few of us half-heartedly suggested that if we could make a half decent start we might put a bit of pressure on Swindon and they had got riders who might bottle it.. boy oh boy did it work!

At no stage did any of us become confident, we were simply ticking the heats off, "The most they can win now is 20... now 16... now 12" and so on!

It was great to see every Wolves rider record a paid win, a true team effort in what has to go down as one of the best, if not the best away performance I have ever seen from a Wolves side.

However, the job is only half done. Before tonight's meeting most Wolves fans agreed that even winning on Wednesday would be tough with the team we have, that remains the case. We must be focused and treat it as if it were the 1st leg and we needed to build a lead.

"Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour." Robert Louis Stevenson.

I fear we may be doing a lot of labouring, mind!

We laboured well!

Swindon can only win by 56 now.

• Like 1

The closest to Adams in league wins is Middlo. Which is ridiculous really as Middlo has had top teams handed to him by Ford. No one,and I mean no one, to touch Adams.

Still not perfect tonight. Riss should have been in heat 8, Greaves in heat 9.

I thought the track was awful in the later heats, but it started off Ok. I don't expect many passes at Swindon but Jan O Pedersen (circa 1988) could have had 30 laps to pass Nigel Leaver on that track after heat 15 & not got close.

Thought Carr should have been excluded heat 2 & no way did Morris make the 2 mins in heat 13.

You think Freddie would have scored less than 9 from 5 rides??

RR scored 7 from 4 rides, potentially the least Jacob would have got.

Wolves hopefully will be able to prepare a much better race track than they were able to do last week but if any track can do it it will be the multi award winning Monmore Green circuit. :t:

A month ago Freddie scored 10+1 from 5, but included 2 from a double points ride so really 8+1, and Jacob 9 from 5;

So 9 from 5 from the Freddie guest and 7 from 4 for Jacob's r/r, is roughly quid pro quo, so I think it was a fair comment.

That said, the Swindon track was dirtless tonight which may or may not have favoured the missing men?

Poor meeting, but Wolves deserved their victory 👍

• Like 1

Thought the track was pretty good, actually. Not many heats were strung out; there were some excellent passes and several attempts which didn't quite stick.

Still scratching my head as to what went on out there; long-term Wolves fans on the back straight were, after sober consideration, ranking it as the best performance from their club they had ever seen.

As ever it was the little things that impressed, adding up to a greater whole -- Howarth's ultra-brave pass, stand-in skipper Schlein's enthusiastic congratulations for Greaves (nicely timed to take place in front of the Wolves supporters) after the latter's valuable third place and even the evident dismay of Harris after conceding the heat 13 5-1. Never was there a more committed guest rider, I'm taking his valuable points as karma for all the grudging clapping and gritted teeth congratulations I've emanated in the past as he laid waste to Wolves hopes as a Bee!

It's certainly not over (I may have been one of the cautious fans Beefy Keefy was referring to); Swindon remain a more than capable outfit, will be fired up for the return and Wolves will, of course, be without their main two Monmore weapons in Lindgren and Thorssell.

But what a night! By no means the least of the pleasures was chatting with a number of Robins fans afterwards; all were warm in their congratulations, despite their evident disappointment, and IMHO their conduct did the club great honour. Roll on Wednesday.

Link?

http://www.wolverhamptonwolves.co/news.php?extend.2839

Still not perfect tonight. Riss should have been in heat 8, Greaves in heat 9.

I thought the track was awful in the later heats, but it started off Ok. I don't expect many passes at Swindon but Jan O Pedersen (circa 1988) could have had 30 laps to pass Nigel Leaver on that track after heat 15 & not got close.

Thought Carr should have been excluded heat 2 & no way did Morris make the 2 mins in heat 13.

Yet Schlein went 3rd to 1st in Heat 14....

Really well done to Wolves last night, I wasn't surprised they put up a good show, but I never expected them to win like they did.

Making Rory Captain was an excellent choice. When he was at Lynn he made an immense difference to the team by his motivation skills and, his encouragement to the riders. He creates so much spirit within the team, he was equivalent to having an extra man.

Always a decent gater, he will always score well on difficult tracks. Seeing him perform last night, makes you realise, the massive blunder Buster made, when he publically slated Rory for stating the Lynn track was unsafe to ride...

One thing puzzle me is that, if Rosco is such a top manager, wouldn't you have thought he would have assured the track was to their liking. Any home advantage disappears when the track is not to your liking.....

They say, 'It's not over till the fat Lady sings', But I can hear her rehearsing her cords already...... :wink::wink:

• Like 1