British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Premiership Grand Final 1st Leg Swindon V Wolves 02.10.17

I agree, I'm not suggesting for one moment it should be allowed.. however, I'd say it has a lot more credibility than running a Grand Final with a guest. I can't see how it would be 'devalued' in any way at all though. A rider has been replaced with a weaker one, from the same club basically. It makes a hell of a lot more sense from a credibility point of view.

As you correctly say, those are the rules though.

It's devalued because the rules don't allow it. It would be yet another example to support those who say that it is a mickey mouse sport. Whether it is a sensible change to make for the future is a matter for debate.

As for tonight's meeting I don't think Wolves have been weakened as much as some say. Lindgren, by his standards, does not do well at Swindon. This year he effectively scored 8 from 5 and 10 from 5 rides and Harris is capable of a similar score. R/r for Thorssell is unlikely to replicate his score, 9 and 12, both from 5 rides. So weaker but not necessarily the walk over some are predicting.

It is an entirely different situation at Monmore where Lindgren and Thorssell can be brilliant and often are. Even with their home advantage I can see Swindon keeping it very close there or even winning.

Lets not forget Poole used an asset rather than a guest in last year's play-offs and we all know how that went!! lol

Anyway moving on - I'm now supporting Swindon in the final as I said I would when (not if) they beat Poole, but a serious question - Does the 8 day guest rule not apply to reserves eg Liam Carr?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

We can only hope to keep it respectable to give us a modicum of a chance.

As slim as they may be.

Instinct says 55-35

Edited scoreline for accuracy.

Edited by stevebrum

Lets not forget Poole used an asset rather than a guest in last year's play-offs and we all know how that went!! lol

Anyway moving on - I'm now supporting Swindon in the final as I said I would when (not if) they beat Poole, but a serious question - Does the 8 day guest rule not apply to reserves eg Liam Carr?

Does it not count for reserves, the only limit was the number of times the same reserve could be used. I think this used to be the case but as the rules change every year who knows.

Edited by A ORLOV

18.12.2 A rider may ride as a Guest (in an Official Meeting) at a Track only once in an 8-day period unless he is replacing the Home Teams #1 or is a NDL rider guesting for the Home Team.

So OK

• Like 2

The only hope Wolves have is an unpalatable one, in that a withdrawal from the meeting by a Swindon rider, which would almost certainly mean an injury, affects the score.

A fully fit Swindon team completing both meetings should comfortably win it.

This is obviously completely hypothetical as it hasn't and won't happen, but...

How would Swindon fans have felt if Wolverhampton had been 'special dispensation' to track Tai Woffinden in place of Lindgren in a circumstance such as this?

Normally I would be against such a thing and I have no qualms at all about Wolves using a guest and R/R as those are the rules, but would it have made the Grand Final more of an event if a team could have used one of it's own assets rather than a guest?

Personally as a Swindon fan I would have preferred Wolves using as asset rather than a guest, the only problem is if it was Doyle who was injured for the final I'm not sure if we have an asset near to the standard of him?

Would certainly have made the Grand Final more of an event in my opinion using Woffinden.

This is obviously completely hypothetical as it hasn't and won't happen, but...

How would Swindon fans have felt if Wolverhampton had been 'special dispensation' to track Tai Woffinden in place of Lindgren in a circumstance such as this?

Normally I would be against such a thing and I have no qualms at all about Wolves using a guest and R/R as those are the rules, but would it have made the Grand Final more of an event if a team could have used one of it's own assets rather than a guest?

I suggested this myself earlier. I think they should be given special dispensation to sign him rather than have him as a guest.

Sadly, they seem to see guests as the option for everything these days.

Edited by grachan

I'm close to losing the will to live as far as going throughthe rules again!!

18.12.2 A rider may ride as a Guest (in an Official Meeting) at a Track only once in an 8-day period unless he is replacing the Home Teams #1 or is a NDL rider guesting for the Home Team.

So OK

Cheers for that arnieg I confess I'm close to losing the will to live as far as checking the rules again!! :D

Personally as a Swindon fan I would have preferred Wolves using as asset rather than a guest, the only problem is if it was Doyle who was injured for the final I'm not sure if we have an asset near to the standard of him?

Would certainly have made the Grand Final more of an event in my opinion using Woffinden.

There's the issue, I guess. Could Swindon then sign Dudek, for example, to replace Doyle in the second leg?

There's the issue, I guess. Could Swindon then sign Dudek, for example, to replace Doyle in the second leg?

Some form of squad system would solve it.

Easier said than done though of course.

All these people who rave on about the Play-offs , will no doubt be having second thoughts now. I always said, having the league title decided by a H&A tie is never a good way of deciding the whole season of racing.

As much as hate riders getting injured, it is always possible that title will be decided by a situation such as this. My heartfelt feelings go out to Freddie and Jacob for their injuries they have suffered, but in all honesty there is only one team who deserve to win the title this year. Winning 17 matches on the spin deserves that recognition.

Surely it would be possible to retain the play-offs, but instead of only a 4 team knock-out tournament to determine the winners, why not add those extra points on to whose already amassed throughout the season, giving us the excitement of the PO but also the true winners every time. Then injuries at crucial times wouldn't be as damning and unfair, as they seem at the moment....

No second thoughts at all.

In other seasons your comments may make sense, however not in this one when there was so little between the two sides anyway. Swindon finished pts ahead, but the reality of it is, the difference was 1 race pt. Swindon won 46-45 (I think that was the score) at home to Wolves, a 1pt swing the other way and Wolves are top. To be fair, Swindon had a weakened team that night.

Wolves surprise loss at home to Poole the night Kyle Howarth was injured as another factor and I'm sure Swindon can point to some matches too. Both sides also had varying degrees of luck when coming up against sides who were hit by injuries.

As slim as they may be.

Instinct says 55-37

Only 90 points max available Steve
  • Like 1

The only hope Wolves have is an unpalatable one, in that a withdrawal from the meeting by a Swindon rider, which would almost certainly mean an injury, affects the score.

A fully fit Swindon team completing both meetings should comfortably win it.

Doesn't have to be injury, breakdowns, riders off form due to coming back from injury or just off form can also make the difference.

Greaves would beat Doyle if he broke down, unlikely but you never know, it' s a speedway meeting, anything can happen.

As slim as they may be.

Instinct says 55-37

It's the Grand Finale man! Yet it is completely now a one-horse race without Lindgren for Wolves. Swindon should win easily.

This year's Play-Off Final has turned into that Christmas present you didn't want.

Wouldn't get this anti-climax scenario pre-Play-Offs.....

Just saying, like....

Edited by moxey63

It's the Grand Finale man! Yet it is completely now a one-horse race without Lindgren for Wolves. Swindon should win easily.

This year's Play-Off Final has turned into that Christmas present you didn't want.

Wouldn't get this anti-climax scenario pre-Play-Offs.....

Just saying, like....

Err.. yes you would.. the vast majority of years, just saying like.