British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, acef said:

Also you won't see anything official from Belle Vue for a while. I think Adrian is on holiday and mark is in Australia. 

Nobody really available to update the social channels.

Which imo is poor. Even without a tv deal this team would still be economical enough.

No excuse that. U can log on to the internet & social media in other countries ya know!!!!!

Lemon has tweeted about Aus Championships whilst over there & to be honest, I find it staggering that nobody from the club has commented on the Drozdz signing despite it being all over the internet for over 48 hrs now??

They really do need to sort out how they promote the club in the media as it’s pretty terrible. Poor for us fans to find out Jack Smith not returning from him and his Mum and finding out we have signed Drozdz and Fricke from a Polish club!!

Regarding our Number 7, personally I would have gone with Todd Kurtz or Jan Graversen - some good English league experience there. Just noticed another potential target for No 7, Joe Jacobs has announced his retirement due to being unable to find a club in either division. Sad for another young British rider to have to call it quits. We really should be looking after our own more.

• Like 6

Total madness that no club in either league could offer a place to Joe Jacobs when every year they complain of a lack of riders, the lack of British riders and the cost of expensive foreigners.

We even had the draft system, supposedly designed to bring on young Brits ..... only to be dumped a couple of years later.

Joe was fantastic for Belle Vue, would have been a trump card at home and could have improved away with decent coaching.

British promoters really are stupid.

Unbelievably short-sighted.

• Thanks 1

Joe Jacobs and Ellis Perks, both down the pan!

• Sad 1

Jacobs really was a one trick pony. Perks is a far better rider and should get himself sorted sooner rather than later.

You are so stupid, Steve. Jacobs was superb for Belle Vue and with some effort on their part could have become a loyal servant for years.

Sure, with the short-sighted Poole mentality of win every year at all costs, you wouldn’t be interested in investing in the future of a young British rider. Just look at how Kyle Newman has been treated.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You are so stupid, Steve. Jacobs was superb for Belle Vue and with some effort on their part could have become a loyal servant for years.

Sure, with the short-sighted Poole mentality of win every year at all costs, you wouldn’t be interested in investing in the future of a young British rider. Just look at how Kyle Newman has been treated.

I Partly agree with you but also do you blame promoters. How many British riders have gone on to the GPS Tai and Cook and its taken Cook a long time to get there. 

Poole have a history of success with Aussies riders so why change from something that isn't broken. We have never been a team to have lots of Brits and i don't think we ever will. 

Success makes you more money than having a cheaper rider in Jacobs. Its a business first and a sport second. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Its a business first and a sport second. 

Very pragmatic of you but it is still sad that doubling up is just justified because of a lack of riders and then lads are having to retire because of that same rule. This shouldn't be happening.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I Partly agree with you but also do you blame promoters. How many British riders have gone on to the GPS Tai and Cook and its taken Cook a long time to get there. 

Poole have a history of success with Aussies riders so why change from something that isn't broken. We have never been a team to have lots of Brits and i don't think we ever will. 

Success makes you more money than having a cheaper rider in Jacobs. Its a business first and a sport second. 

Cook has got to the GPs very quickly. He was a new NL novice only about seven years ago. He’s late to the sport and older but he’s the equivalent of a 23 year old who started at 16! He’s got there faster that Brady Kurtz or Jack Holder will.

Poole have cornered the win at all costs “brand”, based on mercenary opportunism every year, but it works only because no other club does that well or adopts real branding which is a longer term strategy of creating a club culture that fans and potential customers in the local community can identify with.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

I bet you would have been well happy if he had been named as Swindons number 7!

He was a one trick pony and dreadful away from BV.  Just not good enough in the top flight. N L rider.

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I bet you would have been well happy if he had been named as Swindons number 7!

He was a one trick pony and dreadful away from BV.  Just not good enough in the top flight. N L rider.

He could also ride Swindon really well when I was there...so probably a two trick pony......

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

He had beeen at Poole for about five years, picked up good sponsorship and had barely improved whilst underperforming last year. He had been given plenty of time by Poole, imo.

the touted BV team really looks as if its been built to win all home meetings and pick up the odd point away so cannot understand why they havent gone with jacobs who, whilst being poor away, banged in huge scores at home. 

On 6/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Drodz is new so 5.0 seems right. Don’t think he’s a 6. Poole’s 2 poles both have official averages.

If Poole wanted Drodz do you think we would be able to get him on a 4? Of course not.  

Plenty of riders have an OLD 2016 but they aren't official any more. So only selected riders have OLD averages. Which of course stinks.

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Jacobs really was a one trick pony. Perks is a far better rider and should get himself sorted sooner rather than later.

Perks was useless for Wolves with a 1.45 season average. Totally dreadful.

He certainly improved overall but he had achieved virtually nowt outside the NL until 2017.

Maybe he may achieve more than Jacobs but not yet.

Shame his parent club haven't included him in their plans,  but then Poole don't have a great history of looking after their assets.

don't think anybody talking about Joe Jacobs ability on a speedway bike but another British rider lost to speedway except ss and pb shame on you 

• Like 2

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

I don't think you understood what was being said nothing to do with his ability on a bike just another gb rider lost to British speedway shame on the promoters to let this happen !!