British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, ray c said:

I don't think you understood what was being said nothing to do with his ability on a bike just another gb rider lost to British speedway shame on the promoters to let this happen !!

What is being said? You seem to be implying that British speedway owes a living to any British rider, regardless of ability.

30 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

Joe Jacobs not good enough!!! Your talking absolute tosh as always. Averaged over 5 in the 2016 season. If anything he did to well!!

Another Brit lost to the sport.......

Steve Shovlars idea of a rider not good enough is as follows:

9+3 v Wolves .........main reserve Howarth

8 v Swindon.......main reserve Wright

7+1 v Poole...........up against Pedersen and Newman

10 v Leicester...........main reserve Auty

8 v Poole.......Pedersen and Newman again.

Wont be up against that calibre this season yet Shovlar thinks he isnt good enough lol

Edited by Gavan
more text
  • Like 2

what pees me off is the knocking of speedway riders  on the forum when 99%of us on this forum wouldnt have the balls to do one full speed lap on a speedway bike

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, poole keith said:

what pees me off is the knocking of speedway riders  on the forum when 99%of us on this forum wouldnt have the balls to do one full speed lap on a speedway bike

Thats whats annoying yes i agree

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

His 2016 top flight average was 5.14. Perks is the one who can't cut it at a higher level. 

I remember people saying fast Freddie was a one track pony for years. 

Jacobs has always done ok as a number 7 in the top flight,  and more than done his job. 

• Like 4

Some  of the comments on here regarding JJ , completely missing the point .

Joe Jacobs was more than capable of holding down a place in a championship team , but  for one reason or another never got the chance  ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

Agree with one proviso which is that "knocking" is justified when  higher-paid riders take the P out of the paying public

How can people say Jacobs isn’t good enough?! It’s the fact he did well and his average went up that he struggled to get a ride, like Greaves in the Championship this year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How do you know Smith won't be good anough??? honestly you talk some crap at times a young lad who will come again last year Jack would of learned alot.As for Jacobs he has proved he can cut it in the EL and now the league is even weaker so i don't get your point.His home performances were terrific ok he  struggled at times away but with a doubling up spot he would of improved the Aces fans seemed to like Joe and they see more of him than anyone.You have real double standards you knock those two young lads yet supported Newman to the hilt when really Kyle has had more chances than most Brits.

• Like 3

Gavan trying to fight a losing battle again.

Jacobs has been forced into retirement because no club wants him and that's the truth I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Jacobs has been forced into retirement because no club wants him and that's the truth I'm afraid.

How incredibly insightful of you !

thats the whole point of the argument 

why was a young british rider unable to get a team birth in british league speedway ?

runs a bit deeper than “nobody wanted him” ....

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Surely he's been forced into retirement because he can't find two clubs that want him?  He said the only way he could make speedway viable was to ride in both the Premiership and Championship.  He could have had an offer from one or the other league but not both I guess

33 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

do me a favour buddy and read the thread and posts properly!!

Mr Shovlar said that Jacobs isnt good enough to ride in the top flight. Quite obviously that is total rubbish as his average of over 5 in a harder league proves.

Yes nobody has signed him as his average is probably to high to get a place in the top flight and if you read things you would realise he wants to ride in both leagues as he cant afford to just ride in one.

Im fighting no losing battle ....just your inability to read and understand things

Edited by Gavan
more text
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, DC2 said:

Cook has got to the GPs very quickly. He was a new NL novice only about seven years ago. He’s late to the sport and older but he’s the equivalent of a 23 year old who started at 16! He’s got there faster that Brady Kurtz or Jack Holder will.

Poole have cornered the win at all costs “brand”, based on mercenary opportunism every year, but it works only because no other club does that well or adopts real branding which is a longer term strategy of creating a club culture that fans and potential customers in the local community can identify with.

Averages and the asset system is killing the sport.

What is is these days to loan another teams rider????? Can't be cheap. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly in an untried foreigner for them to become as asset of the club. 

Edited by Phil The Ace