British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

The two Poole poles have already achieved averages, Drozdz has to be assessed, the only way would be for all riders not riding here in 2017 to be assessed which would lead to another can of worms, both Poole and Belle Vue are taking a risk that they will perform above their averages.

Drodz is the only risk. The other 2 have improved massively in Poland since they were here in 2016.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Drodz is the only risk. The other 2 have improved massively in Poland since they were here in 2016.

Maybe, but Poole's track is nothing like the polish tracks, if the track is better prepared for racing,like we all know it can be, then yes Poole should easily finish top this coming season.

But if it remains bumpy and unpredictable then it could be a different conclusion.As I keep saying "time will tell"

How is this thread discussing Poole's poles yet again!!!!

Anyway, pleased that the team has finally been announced. I hope Max can step into Bjerre's shoes, I think he will!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aces High said:

How is this thread discussing Poole's poles yet again!!!!

Anyway, pleased that the team has finally been announced. I hope Max can step into Bjerre's shoes, I think he will!

Because a Belle Vue fan started discussing them again!!!

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

The two Poole poles have already achieved averages, Drozdz has to be assessed, the only way would be for all riders not riding here in 2017 to be assessed which would lead to another can of worms, both Poole and Belle Vue are taking a risk that they will perform above their averages.

Yes both Poole's Poles have averages and Drozdz has to be assessed fair enough but if most fans including yourself think that both Pooles Poles are better than Drozdz.Then why can't the powers that be see this and assess him lower than the 2 better Poles.It makes it that Belle vue are having to take more of a risk because with Drozdz assessed on a 5 they have had to sign a weaker reserve because of it.Making them a weaker team overall.

So without being a blinkered Poole fan does that seem fair to you.All speedway fans want is fair play for everyone but the powers that be do not seem to have the common sense to give us that,and it is one of many reasons that fans get pd off with the sport.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

Yes both Poole's Poles have averages and Drozdz has to be assessed fair enough but if most fans including yourself think that both Pooles Poles are better than Drozdz.Then why can't the powers that be see this and assess him lower than the 2 better Poles.

For the same reason they assessed Martin Vaculik below Nick Morris and Jacob Thorsell. Whatever that reason is.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Maybe, but Poole's track is nothing like the polish tracks, if the track is better prepared for racing,like we all know it can be, then yes Poole should easily finish top this coming season.

But if it remains bumpy and unpredictable then it could be a different conclusion.As I keep saying "time will tell"

Agree with that too,  plus also both Poole Poles have had a year's experience on British tracks so are probably aware that preparation standards aren't as high as in the homeland. 

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

Yes both Poole's Poles have averages and Drozdz has to be assessed fair enough but if most fans including yourself think that both Pooles Poles are better than Drozdz.Then why can't the powers that be see this and assess him lower than the 2 better Poles.It makes it that Belle vue are having to take more of a risk because with Drozdz assessed on a 5 they have had to sign a weaker reserve because of it.Making them a weaker team overall.

So without being a blinkered Poole fan does that seem fair to you.All speedway fans want is fair play for everyone but the powers that be do not seem to have the common sense to give us that,and it is one of many reasons that fans get pd off with the sport.

Well yes i agree but there are plenty of things wrong with the assessment system and average system, it needs a complete re think in my opinion. Musielak is another example and promoters will continue to exploit the loopholes if they are allowed to do so.

• Like 1

Never mind the riders what about the tracks, Belle Vue one , Poole nil.....................unless they have ripped it up during the winter!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rules and quality changes too much to recycle averages.

If a rider rode in the league in the previous season they should retain their average. If they rode in the league below in the previous season they should have that average converted (1.3 currently seems ok). If they didn't ride in the UK in the previous season they should be re-assessed based on a clearly defined criteria to a round number (3.00,4.00,5.00,6.00,7.00,8.00 (Min for GP riders). It really shouldn't be that difficult.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Aces High said:

The rules and quality changes too much to recycle averages.

If a rider rode in the league in the previous season they should retain their average. If they rode in the league below in the previous season they should have that average converted (1.3 currently seems ok). If they didn't ride in the UK in the previous season they should be re-assessed based on a clearly defined criteria to a round number (3.00,4.00,5.00,6.00,7.00,8.00 (Min for GP riders). It really shouldn't be that difficult.

There must be a 'mean average'  % correlation for those riders who doubled up....

Therefore use that as the conversion figure..

Eg Last year Bomber was 8.44 PL and 7.63 EL therefore  +10.6%..

Do that for every rider and then use the mean % increase..

Not ideal (what is when using such a system that is so easily manipulated as averages?) and there are many anomalies eg riding at reserve in the EL but second string in the PL etc, but it is surely a better system than making it up as you go along rider by rider?

You can then benchmark new riders against their 'peers' based on riding in the same leagues abroad..

eg Bombers performance in Poland can be used allied to his British average to corelate more accurately any riders coming over who rode in the same Polish league as him last year...

ie if Bombers average over here in the top league is 7.63 and a new rider rides in the same League in Poland and ran an average equal to Bomber then he comes in on a 7.63 average..

The more leagues that both riders race in in Europe the more those disparate figures are used to more accurately measure strengths..

Nothing is ever going to be totally accurate but at least it would be transparent..

Edited by mikebv

8 hours ago, stevebrum said:

The Poole track though Steve could be a big concern it has been poor for along time now  i  really liked  Woryna when he rode for Coventry and now he is different gravy.I can see him averaging over 7,  M.S in the top five i am not totally convinced with he will do well to average anywhere near 6.7 in my view at reserve he will be fine.

Edited by Sidney the robin

When is the last time Belle Vue had a Brit as they're number one? Would it be the year Harris signed for them (2011)?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

When is the last time Belle Vue had a Brit as they're number one? Would it be the year Harris signed for them (2011)?

I think it was Simon Stead in 2007. Rory Schlein was our number one in 2011.

Edited by Aces51
I am wrong in that Harris started the season at number one but Schlein finished in the top spot.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Yes it was.

If they hadn’t have fannied about with the averages last year Craig would have been No1 as he finished 2016 with a higher EL average than Max.