British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

if the race night was to change they would have renew their planning permission which could be a problem as this will open the doors to any objections and I know a few people who live around the stadium who would object as they hate the speedway

I'm not sure things can change in regard to the doubling up rule if the league's format stays as it is?

Being patriotic for a second I do like the fact British riders in the present HAVE the option to race both leagues.

But until specific race nights are implemented Peterborough's team (minus harris and holder) at workington shall happen again. There just isn't enough riders to go around anymore. The continent is a dry bed of blooming talent because the Ekstraliga/Elitserian can blow any uk team out of the water financially. So if you lose cook, lambert etc, are there riders to replace them or do you reduce the limit further to compensate?

It's about survival for britain, maybe overtime the money may run out in the bigger leagues overseas but in the meantime I think doubling up is here to stay.

Edited by 13GrigorijLaguta

I'm not sure things can change in regard to the doubling up rule if the league's format stays as it is?

Being patriotic for a second I do like the fact British riders in the present HAVE the option to race both leagues.

But until specific race nights are implemented Peterborough's team (minus harris and holder) at workington shall happen again. There just isn't enough riders to go around anymore. The continent is a dry bed of blooming talent because the Ekstraliga/Elitserian can blow any uk team out of the water financially. So if you lose cook, lambert etc, are there riders to replace them or do you reduce the limit further to compensate?

It's about survival for britain, maybe overtime the money may run out in the bigger leagues overseas but in the meantime I think doubling up is here to stay.

Doubling up is a travesty, and should be stopped immediately, NO RIDER SHOULD IN 2 LEAGUES, LET ALONE 3

Doubling up is a travesty, and should be stopped immediately, NO RIDER SHOULD IN 2 LEAGUES, LET ALONE 3

Why not? If you had a job and werent earning enough money youd get a 2nd job for extra income, why shouldnt riders be able to do the same? its their job at the end of the day, people will say get a proper job outside of speedway but not many would employ someone that would have to take days off work to attend meetings then take time off to wash bikes and prep ready for the next day, then if he gets injured the employer would have to find cover for him, not many people would take these lads on so they have to find a 2nd team, and the more they ride, the sharper they are, if they only ride in 1 team they will have 1/2 meetings per week and sometimes go a couple of weeks with no meetings at all depending on weather and thats not gonna pay their living is it, I can see the fans frustration when riders arent available because they have meetings elsewhere but you have to look at it from the riders point of view aswell, if the top league go to set days then that will solve that problem as there wont be any dates clashing with the middle league

Why not? If you had a job and werent earning enough money youd get a 2nd job for extra income, why shouldnt riders be able to do the same? its their job at the end of the day, people will say get a proper job outside of speedway but not many would employ someone that would have to take days off work to attend meetings then take time off to wash bikes and prep ready for the next day, then if he gets injured the employer would have to find cover for him, not many people would take these lads on so they have to find a 2nd team, and the more they ride, the sharper they are, if they only ride in 1 team they will have 1/2 meetings per week and sometimes go a couple of weeks with no meetings at all depending on weather and thats not gonna pay their living is it, I can see the fans frustration when riders arent available because they have meetings elsewhere but you have to look at it from the riders point of view aswell, if the top league go to set days then that will solve that problem as there wont be any dates clashing with the middle league

Is speedway a job ?

I rode Enduro for Yamaha representing Wales as well, it was a hobby. If there is not enough money in just speedway, then get a job to care for your own needs then any income from speedway can subsidise your hobby. Isn't that how it used to be, you have riders in the 3rd tier and the 2nd tier especially think they are superstars whos demands on the sport are unrealistic. This year because of doubling up as turned the play offs into a total farce

Looking at it from the riders point of view is killing the sport, too much self importance. Design a set of rules and implement them

Edited by balderdash&piffle
  • Like 2

Is speedway a job ?

I rode Enduro for Yamaha representing Wales as well, it was a hobby. If there is not enough money in just speedway, then get a job to care for your own needs then any income from speedway can subsidise your hobby. Isn't that how it used to be, you have riders in the 3rd tier and the 2nd tier especially think they are superstars whos demands on the sport are unrealistic. This year because of doubling up as turned the play offs into a total farce

Looking at it from the riders point of view is killing the sport, too much self importance. Design a set of rules and implement them

Then you get riders missing meetings coz they have to work to support their families, so whats the difference between that and him riding for another team, either way he still isnt available for you, speedway is a job these days as riders can be riding the majority of the week if they do it right, if they manage to get 4/5/6 meetings a week where do they find time to get a real job?

There might be no middle league the way it is looking so what do they do then.

There might be no middle league the way it is looking so what do they do then.

With the amount of teams who may not be running next year, the only common sense decision is to run one league. The so called Premier league (Elite) has been pandered too for far to long, to the detriment of the better run 2nd tier Championship league. The race rules need a drastic overall and massively simplified, and need to stop pandering to the riders and involve the fans more, after all no paying fans, no speedway.

• Like 1

With the amount of teams who may not be running next year, the only common sense decision is to run one league. The so called Premier league (Elite) has been pandered too for far to long, to the detriment of the better run 2nd tier Championship league. The race rules need a drastic overall and massively simplified, and need to stop pandering to the riders and involve the fans more, after all no paying fans, no speedway.

Thats how I see it too.It will never change though.Berwick fell for it in the early nineties when we were persuaded to move up.

Don't have a problem with riders doubling up personally, as long as they don't miss meetings. Which I hope will be sorted out by the Premiership moving to Monday / Thursday nights as rumoured. Hopefully the Championship will have a similar line up to this season, as this suits Berwick. Not sure there are enough riders out there willing to ride in Britain to go to one league, without weakening the league to include a lot of current National League riders.

Don't have a problem with riders doubling up personally, as long as they don't miss meetings. Which I hope will be sorted out by the Premiership moving to Monday / Thursday nights as rumoured. Hopefully the Championship will have a similar line up to this season, as this suits Berwick. Not sure there are enough riders out there willing to ride in Britain to go to one league, without weakening the league to include a lot of current National League riders.

Best bet way if there are 2 leagues would be Monday/ Tuesday Premiership and Friday / Saturday Championship, freeing up Wednesday / Thursday and Sunday for riders who ride in Sweden, Denmark and Poland. Might not be a bad thing to use all of the available riders from all 3 leagues, they may be lesser riders and a lot of the overpaid big hitters causing the financial problem will depart and allow speedway to recover. By making it more of an Amateur speedway, will take the financial pressure off the clubs, and help them recover and grow.

There is no doubt drastic changes in the way speedway is run need to take place in November. It is unlikely to change in my opinion, as speedway is like an old dinosaur, run by dinosaurs who have tinkered at the edges for years, generally changed little and in most cases making it worse.

Best bet way if there are 2 leagues would be Monday/ Tuesday Premiership and Friday / Saturday Championship, freeing up Wednesday / Thursday and Sunday for riders who ride in Sweden, Denmark and Poland.

Swedens top league is and always has been Tuesdays. Are you suggesting tgat to accomodate a restructure in the British Leagues that they should relinquish that?

Swedens top league is and always has been Tuesdays. Are you suggesting tgat to accomodate a restructure in the British Leagues that they should relinquish that?

Tuesday and Thursday, but if their main day is Tuesday then I suppose the alternative is the Thursday along with Monday for The Premiership . I am not sure why it is Premier not a massive difference between the 2 top tiers although the 2nd tier always seems to suffer because of the problems created in the top tier. There is an opportunity now to bring everything together as one product and sort out the problems, as it strengthens, then consideration could be given to split back into 2 products. At the moment the top 2 tiers are fragmenting and becoming less and less attractive to the paying public, and without the paying public keeping it going, IT'S GONE.

Denmark is Wednesday and Friday aswell

If we are worried about Denmarks race night we are in trouble IMO.
  • Like 1