British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

17 hours ago, alang said:

Lock both sides in a room,leave the egos outside and don't let anybody out until common sense and practical realities are discussed and settled.Simples.

Yes I agree, though the Berwick Supporters Club, or what ever they are going to be called, have been the one constant success, something that should be remembered.

1 hour ago, screm said:

Yes I agree, though the Berwick Supporters Club, or what ever they are going to be called, have been the one constant success, something that should be remembered.

I dont know the set up at Berwick mate but Supporters Clubs should be there to Support the clubs before anything else.  I assume that happens ? No clubs No Speedway. Dont think Edinburgh Monarchs would be there if their Supporters Trust hadnt come in to back them correct me if wrong?

Edited by Catch Me If You Can
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

I dont know the set up at Berwick mate but Supporters Clubs should be there to Support the clubs before anything else.  I assume that happens ? No clubs No Speedway. Dont think Edinburgh Monarchs would be there if their Supporters Trust hadnt come in to back them correct me if wrong?

The Berwick supporters club used to support the club and the riders,  but changed a few years ago to only supporting the riders and theirselves by way of subsidising buses for away meetings.  Which I’ve been told is the reason they have to change their name as they don’t Support The Speedway Club anymore.

• Like 1

I agree in a way that the supporters clubs should support the club but they got absolutely sh*t on by the Anderson’s and so Berwick deserve to be a little different, as far as I’m aware they was still helping the club as well as the riders and fans.

51 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

I agree in a way that the supporters clubs should support the club but they got absolutely sh*t on by the Anderson’s and so Berwick deserve to be a little different, as far as I’m aware they was still helping the club as well as the riders and fans.

How did they get sh*t on ?

5 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

From what I was told by a good source and backed by conversation with a rider, the crapping upon was initially in the other direction. Berwick's  promotion  deserve support from any fanclub using their name and surely speedway supporters clubs exist to do everything to help keep the sport alive in their area.         Donations towards a promotion's expenses are surely vital to this.  

Edited by Uluru
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Uluru said:

From what I was told by a good source and backed by conversation with a rider, the crapping upon was initially in the other direction. Berwick's  promotion  deserve support from any fanclub using their name and surely speedway supporters clubs exist to do everything to help keep the sport alive in their area.         Donations towards a promotion's expenses are surely vital to this.  

Speaking to a solicitor the other night, if a name has been used constantly for a period of time, the name becomes established in it's own right, and does not infringe 'copyright'

As ' Berwick Bandits Supporters Club' have been going for about 50 years, using that name , it is now established and has no need to change it's name.  The supporters club do a brilliant job in what they do, if you are helping the riders you are helping the club.  Speedway has always been  established on a combination of wages and sponsorship, if the rider loses any form of sponsorship the onus is then placed on the club to make up the difference, so any form of rider sponsorship should be welcomed by the club.  As the 2 new owners are ex riders, they should have a better understanding of that than most people, as they will have relied on that individual sponsorship in the past

• Like 1

I find it strange the hassle a "name "has caused at Berwick over the last few years.All I have seen is Norman and the supporters handing over money to the riders which surely benefits the Promotion,have they got a better idea to raise money from the Supporters? All seems a little petty to an outsider like myself no doubt there is more too it though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uluru said:

I would tell that source of yours to stop telling you a load of BS then! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

I would tell that source of yours to stop telling you a load of BS then! 

You don`t think you are replying to he of the multi usernames.

• Like 2

Is this not a quandary as old as the sport itself?

I seem to remember in the 70s, Border Speedway Supporters Club (name of town) Branch, being set up as the then promotion had assumed an automatic right to all funds raised in the name of the sport in the Borders, and stopped the supporters using the name. If memory serves, funds were given to many riders, not just those with a Shielfield affiliation.

Did the much lamented PW not have a Bounty Club set up "in house"? , and the Butchers had an "Elite club" not so long ago?

History repeats

The butchers took the P, can’t comment on Waite or anything in the 70’s, the new promotion are nice people and I hope they are sucessful but they need to realise that they are going the wrong way about it, those riders they’re signing expect the supporters club to be giving them donations throughout the season when they have mechanical problems and what have you but the Supporters Club wouldn’t be able to do that if all of the money was going in the promotions pockets would they.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

The butchers took the P, can’t comment on Waite or anything in the 70’s, the new promotion are nice people and I hope they are sucessful but they need to realise that they are going the wrong way about it, those riders they’re signing expect the supporters club to be giving them donations throughout the season when they have mechanical problems and what have you but the Supporters Club wouldn’t be able to do that if all of the money was going in the promotions pockets would they.

from which 99% (or more) of the rider's income comes. 

Edited by George Dodds