British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

Good to see David getting another guest booking for Leicester after his 10 points on Monday night for them.

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Alt

Discuss?

Support comes via the fan paying at the gate surely, plus businesses like mine paying for advertising which I class as a donation to the club. Get the gate up with good quality entertainment and the business should pay for itself

• Like 3

You know as well as anyone B&P that almost all modern sports clubs survive thanks to injections of cash from areas other than attendance and sponsorship. Seems perfectly reasonable to offer a conduit for those who wish to get involved over and above admission fees - one that they didn't have in Berwick.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

You know as well as anyone B&P that almost all modern sports clubs survive thanks to injections of cash from areas other than attendance and sponsorship. Seems perfectly reasonable to offer a conduit for those who wish to get involved over and above admission fees - one that they didn't have in Berwick.

I can only think with my business head, charity starts at home for me  Direct sponsorship yes, advertising yes, attendance yes.  wouldn't it be great if someone ran a car boot sale and gave the proceeds to me to support my business, because I had got my business structure wrong.  If the sport of speedway is based on being propped up by the hard pressed supporter , then the only conclusion is the sport is flawed and is doomed to fail.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

I can only think with my business head, charity starts at home for me  Direct sponsorship yes, advertising yes, attendance yes.  wouldn't it be great if someone ran a car boot sale and gave the proceeds to me to support my business, because I had got my business structure wrong.  If the sport of speedway is based on being propped up by the hard pressed supporter , then the only conclusion is the sport is flawed and is doomed to fail.

All sport is propped up by something extraneous - football by TV rights, rugby and cricket by TV rights and redistribution of  profits from international games, most other sports by wealthy owners or support mechanisms.

No sport is run as a business - even the monster that is football features hugely indebted clubs as they fail to balance the books. 

But I do promise that if the bottom ever falls out of your market I'll be the first to organise a tray bake and coffee morning to make sure you're never short of beard dye  :t:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Support comes via the fan paying at the gate surely, plus businesses like mine paying for advertising which I class as a donation to the club. Get the gate up with good quality entertainment and the business should pay for itself

Support it or lose it is my motto. 

The club are not badgering people for money for it to survive, and i cannot see anything wrong with anyone making a donation should they wish to do so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, penchev said:

The club are not badgering people for money for it to survive, and i cannot see anything wrong with anyone making a donation should they wish to do so.

Just being  a pragmatist, I see a  need for fund raising in specific areas of need, the Cancer Cars need donations to help cancer victims, the Air Ambulance need donations to help save lives and so on.  Speedway is an entertainment provision where the entertainment is disappearing, the way forward is to provide entertainment that the public are willing to pay for, they gates will improve and will pay for itself.  This format is asking fans to prop up the sport because of it's own failure, hence perpetuating the poor entertainment that is provided.  As you say use it or lose it, the answer is USE IT.  Sort out the structure, reduce the running costs for riders, this will result in lowering overpaid point money, the gate money is already overpriced for the entertainment provided probably worth £10 a meeting.

If fans want to donate, so be it, I already do via heat sponsorship and rider sponsorship, most fans are not in my situation, simply they cannot afford it.  IMPROVE THE PRODUCT, TO IMPROVE THE GATE 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Alt

Discuss?

If the riders donate £1/point of their earnings / meeting that should raise a £'s.

2 hours ago, penchev said:

Good Post.     The point is the owners aren't making threats, only opening up a conduit through which supporters - in the proper sense of the word - can make donations of whatever funds they can make available.     It is a support group, and we have their mission statement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, concessionscol said:

ok was the wall  that  you had to buy a brick did it get built mmmmmmmm 

It pains me to answer this poster, but those who contributed - to the foam fence - did indeed have their names inscribed on 'bricks' and displayed on the door of the old track shop, which is currently in the pits, with the names still displayed.    Mmmmmmmmmmm. 

28 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

It pains me to answer this poster, but those who contributed - to the foam fence - did indeed have their names inscribed on 'bricks' and displayed on the door of the old track shop, which is currently in the pits, with the names still displayed.    Mmmmmmmmmmm. 

thank you for your answer  hope your not in to much pain try going to see a dr mmmmmmmm

• Like 3

11 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Good Post.     The point is the owners aren't making threats, only opening up a conduit through which supporters - in the proper sense of the word - can make donations of whatever funds they can make available.     It is a support group, and we have their mission statement. 

You are suggesting that those who don't donate aren't proper supporters.:blink:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George Dodds said:

All sport is propped up by something extraneous - football by TV rights, rugby and cricket by TV rights and redistribution of  profits from international games, most other sports by wealthy owners or support mechanisms.

No sport is run as a business - even the monster that is football features hugely indebted clubs as they fail to balance the books. 

But I do promise that if the bottom ever falls out of your market I'll be the first to organise a tray bake and coffee morning to make sure you're never short of beard dye  :t:

While I take your point about clubs being propped up by multi billion pound tv money, the reason for this investment is the basic product ie Premier League, is the most exciting and marketable football league there is which I think is the point that has been made already that if you get your basic product right, is this cases speedway on a Saturday night, then investment should with a bit of luck follow either by sponsorship and/or people coming through the gate.

• Like 1