British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

1 minute ago, screm said:

While I take your point about clubs being propped up by multi billion pound tv money, the reason for this investment is the basic product ie Premier League, is the most exciting and marketable football league there is which I think is the point that has been made already that if you get your basic product right, is this cases speedway on a Saturday night, then investment should with a bit of luck follow either by sponsorship and/or people coming through the gate.

I do actually agree  about getting the product right, that has to the main aim but the history of sport is littered with examples of clubs which assumed that the fans would flock through the gates only to be left with a pile of debts.

Much is being made of the role of sponsorship - surely this scheme is no more than allowing fans who wish to, and can afford to do so, to "sponsor" the club in addition to paying their admission fee.

Not much different to a business owner who sponsors either out of a love of speedway, a sense of duty to his/her town or city, as a publicity tool or to take advantage of tax benefits.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

I do actually agree  about getting the product right, that has to the main aim but the history of sport is littered with examples of clubs which assumed that the fans would flock through the gates only to be left with a pile of debts.

Much is being made of the role of sponsorship - surely this scheme is no more than allowing fans who wish to, and can afford to do so, to "sponsor" the club in addition to paying their admission fee.

Not much different to a business owner who sponsors either out of a love of speedway, a sense of duty to his/her town or city, as a publicity tool or to take advantage of tax benefits.

Either way the important thing is to get money in, whether that be a sense of duty or a tax break, after all on the face of it Berwick Speedway is a relatively small business so any money is of great benefit. I wish the club the best in getting the donations needed though speedway in general is failing, whether donations from customers can save it for the long term remains to be seen. 

11 hours ago, concessionscol said:

thank you for your answer  hope your not in to much pain try going to see a dr mmmmmmmm

It pains me to like this post.

15 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Good Post.     The point is the owners aren't making threats, only opening up a conduit through which supporters - in the proper sense of the word - can make donations of whatever funds they can make available.     It is a support group, and we have their mission statement. 

In the proper sense of the word supporters are just that they go and support their team I would imagine most of them are busy trying to earn a living and try to have family time as well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, screm said:

You are suggesting that those who don't donate aren't proper supporters.:blink:

It's just a sly dig as usual.:rolleyes:

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Wonder if he will be dipping into the money he takes from the club and putting it back in or he’ll just expect ‘real’ fans to do so. 

29 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

And likely to turn off supporters who might just be willing to donate, one day lessons will be learned, but that day wont be today.:(

• Like 2

Just putting this out there.
Which is best to support with additional fan funds. Riders or club, or both?

What are the thoughts on here with regard to the Edinburgh Supporters' Trust?

The whole sport, and product do need to improve, I think Berwick make continual efforts to do this, alongside Glasgow.
In fact, Glasgow show what financial backing can begin to achieve.

I'm taking a Devil's advocate role here.

Monarchs Supporters Trust does a good job but they have 7 payment levels starting from £10 per month up to £100 per month. I know from involvement with Bandits 2012 Group how difficult it was just to get people to pay £10 per month.

7 minutes ago, bigeddiechek said:

Just putting this out there.
Which is best to support with additional fan funds. Riders or club, or both?

What are the thoughts on here with regard to the Edinburgh Supporters' Trust?

The whole sport, and product do need to improve, I think Berwick make continual efforts to do this, alongside Glasgow.
In fact, Glasgow show what financial backing can begin to achieve.

I'm taking a Devil's advocate role here.

I assume the Trust at Edinburgh have an input into the running of the club as the trust does with the Berwick Rangers Trust,  Glasgow totally different scenario 2 brothers with lots of disposable income that they seem willing to lose, would be nice to have that at Berwick, SUGAR DADDIES.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

I assume the Trust at Edinburgh have an input into the running of the club as the trust does with the Berwick Rangers Trust,  Glasgow totally different scenario 2 brothers with lots of disposable income that they seem willing to lose, would be nice to have that at Berwick, SUGAR DADDIES.

There is a big different between losing and investing. Through there successful, profitable company they acquired land and invested in creating an impressive sports stadium - both are assets. They continue to invest money that would presumably be 'lost' to the taxman therby enhancing there assets and providing a better product for speedway fans to enjoy. The key is owning the stadium.

Sadly when speedway was drawing huge crowds in the 60 and 70s the promoters in the uk put the money in the boot of the car and drove off. when the crowds started to drop they sold the club to speedway fans as opposed to hard headed businessmen and its been generally 'fans' that have been trying to keep the sport going ever since. They had a chance when Sky were throwing money at the sport to invest in facilities but chose to pass it on the riders and once the money started to dry up the riders moved on to other countries. It'll' be interesting when the Polish bubble bursts!

• Like 3

IT is a good point the most clubs now are run by speedway fans rather than business men and they have  submitted to riders demands rather than the income coming through the gate and are now relying on Fans Trust ect.to keep  their head above water. I praise the Glasgow business men for putting their money into the sport though,although you can see the investment in the land keeps their investment in there own control should the Speedway venture go wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

And even with they’re wealth, they were given 5k from a supporters group earlier this season to help towards medical cover

27 minutes ago, Heedthebaw said:

And even with they’re wealth, they were given 5k from a supporters group earlier this season to help towards medical cover

No comment!

On 8/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, crescent girl said:

Good Post.     The point is the owners aren't making threats, only opening up a conduit through which supporters - in the proper sense of the word - can make donations of whatever funds they can make available.     It is a support group, and we have their mission statement. 

Let’s have a raffle Dick that’s usually a good fund raiser

• Like 2