British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

Surprised no one including joe Jacobs in any teams...was improving somewhat by he end of his short stint with you, surely good value on a 4.67....decent rider on big fast tracks

I guess i don't see him getting a lot of improvement on that average!

A change of track often helps a rider. Summers may not be everyone idea but he still an 8 point rider and would make decent back up to a good number 1

A change of track often helps a rider. Summers may not be everyone idea but he still an 8 point rider and would make decent back up to a good number 1

Aaron suffered from bike problems after the Berwick away match and couldn't get back to where he had been despite even getting his tuner over from Poland. He also didn't get a double up slot which limited his earnings

I'd have him back at Glasgow.

Just trying to make everyone think that they are out of the ordinary for wanting to win the league who would want that eh

Exactly, so terrible wanting to win.

Edited by emilali

It won't happen but I would. Have liked to see TJ back,think it was a mistake to leave him out last season.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Aaron suffered from bike problems after the Berwick away match and couldn't get back to where he had been despite even getting his tuner over from Poland. He also didn't get a double up slot which limited his earnings

I'd have him back at Glasgow.

That Berwick match was in the middle of July. Thats half a season he was pretty woeful for. We got the full repertoire of clutch, setups, tuner etc but nothing changed. A change of scene would be refreshing for all. The points limit of 42.5 may have increased his choice of clubs.

I guess i don't see him getting a lot of improvement on that average!

Perhaps but has averaged into the 5 and a half range previously, decent no.2 and a strong reserve! Plenty of people putting Doolan in potential lineups for you....cant see any improvement there!

Genuine question, would crowd levels go up significantly if Berwick were, say challenging for the league? I was trying to think back to the more successful seasons of late. Three / four years ago Berwick made the playoffs. Then there was 2005 when we finished second. There have been a couple of cup finals, one in particular on a ploughed field against Workington, the other against Rye House.

I honestly can't remember if crowd levels went up significantly during those seasons, or for those finals.

Crowd levels held up well last season, despite ending up bottom. There is a core of fans who will go anyway, for the entertainment, for the night out with friends, for the racing, whatever.

Can the club afford a successful team? Success normally costs, would the potential extra fans cover the cost?

Don't take this as a defeatist attitude, I would love to see Berwick challenging for honours. I just wonder if the club would have to mortgaged to get there.

Genuine question, would crowd levels go up significantly if Berwick were, say challenging for the league? I was trying to think back to the more successful seasons of late. Three / four years ago Berwick made the playoffs. Then there was 2005 when we finished second. There have been a couple of cup finals, one in particular on a ploughed field against Workington, the other against Rye House.

I honestly can't remember if crowd levels went up significantly during those seasons, or for those finals.

Crowd levels held up well last season, despite ending up bottom. There is a core of fans who will go anyway, for the entertainment, for the night out with friends, for the racing, whatever.

Can the club afford a successful team? Success normally costs, would the potential extra fans cover the cost?

Don't take this as a defeatist attitude, I would love to see Berwick challenging for honours. I just wonder if the club would have to mortgaged to get there.

In present climate in the sport don't think the crowd levels would rise significantly ,but based on recent seasons there is always more fans attend at start of new season(as At most tracks) but drops off after afew weeks,if we had a successful team challenging for honours the levels may hold up better IMO .If word gets round it may attract a few fans back.As for affording a successful Team fans don't know the costs so how can we judge? Everything is rumour regarding club and rider running costs.
  • Like 4

Let's be realistic. Berwick Bandits have survived a full fifty seasons without winning their Championship-level division.

Putting on cheerful entertainment on a Saturday night, and winning the home meetings satisfies 95% of their public, year on year.

The other 5% seem to post on here!

That rule hasn't been accepted at SCB level yet. They control the rule-book for the actual staging of races. BSPA conference can make requests and even recommendations -- but this won't be the first suggested change we might see quietly dropped.

As GP will continue with yellow-card warnings, it becomes awkward and confusing to run races to differing sets of rules.

You in the 5% Dick. Old club with new owners, time to think differently than the past. In my book you should never look backwards only forwards, those people who remember the Old Days need locking up or a put out of their misery. Onwards and upwards :t::t::t::t::t:

Just dont see him increasing that average, a No 1 who holds is average is OK the rest must increase

Crowd levels started well last season with the enthusiasm of new owners, but was pretty poor for the 2nd half of the season, sponsorship sustained the club more than crowd levels. A lot of old die hards have gone or even died off, free entry for young ones is good, but it is yet to be proven whether they will convert into paying fans when they are old enough.

In present climate in the sport don't think the crowd levels would rise significantly ,but based on recent seasons there is always more fans attend at start of new season(as At most tracks) but drops off after afew weeks,if we had a successful team challenging for honours the levels may hold up better IMO .If word gets round it may attract a few fans back.As for affording a successful Team fans don't know the costs so how can we judge? Everything is rumour regarding club and rider running costs.

Think you are right , if a team can be assembled that can challenge will keep fans happy ish, Berwick unlike Glasgow cannot afford to buy a team to challenge. It should however have the knowledge to assemble a challenging team, I hope they do not surround themselves with old pals within speedway, good management decisions will be needed, no loyalty when you are running a business

• Like 4

Interestingly it seems they have done away with the 2pt reserves, minimum is a 3 now, would

You still take JPB on a 3 point average at Berwick ?

Interestingly it seems they have done away with the 2pt reserves, minimum is a 3 now, would

Looking at the 2s & 3s available, he has as much chance as those that are available, so YES

Where's this been said? Can't see anything about it on the bspa site.

Where's this been said? Can't see anything about it on the bspa site.

Hes only asking would I consider JPB, not that he has signed

Or did you mean the 2 pt average rider

Edited by balderdash&piffle

Good to see the unlucky Ryan Blacklock given the all clear to start riding again

• Like 1