British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

Berwickbandits2018

We are on the way down :sad:

Was always going to be the case, as other teams catch up with their games in hand. Might sneak 7th but more likely to be 8th, unless unexpected away points can be picked up.

Decent finishing position, given that we were expected to finish bottom by many in pre-season predictions. Finished the season strongly at home with cracking big wins against Edinburgh, Glasgow and Peterborough, all possible playoff teams.

So it's probably going to be a Bordernapolis to end the season then , will it follow its traditional format of handicap racing ? 

Berwick have done well to stay in the play off places this long, but it was only going to be a matter of time before others started to over come the gap. Now for Berwick to get back into play off contention they will need to win at the very least one of the remaining three away meetings at Ipswich, Edinburgh or Peterborough. Sadly something IMO that is beyond Berwick.

3 minutes ago, screm said:

Berwick have done well to stay in the play off places this long, but it was only going to be a matter of time before others started to over come the gap. Now for Berwick to get back into play off contention they will need to win at the very least one of the remaining three away meetings at Ipswich, Edinburgh or Peterborough. Sadly something IMO that is beyond Berwick.

It doesn't really help with most of the riders having about a 3 week gap between fixtures.

Why was the deadline extended as Berwick and Sheffield showed that the league meetings could be done and dusted by the end of August if you run against GP's, World Cup's etc (Berwick even stepped in to host an extra meeting when others were unable to host).  It seems to be the same teams every year that seems to drag their heels with the fixtures.  We had a great summer when teams decided not to race :cheers:

• Like 2

Only in Speedway 2018 (UK) could you have fewer fixtures and yet still struggle to run them within the proposed timescale. 

Looking in from a distance its been a good season for Berwick all things considered. Looking healthy for 2019 as much of the team could pick itself.

Edited by Robinh88
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DSC67 said:

So it's probably going to be a Bordernapolis to end the season then , will it follow its traditional format of handicap racing ? 

Don't fancy Handicap racing at Berwick nowadays your handicapped enough when you miss a normal gate now.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

oh god no

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Don't fancy Handicap racing at Berwick nowadays your handicapped enough when you miss a normal gate now.

It's no a format that I particularly enjoy either , I'd rather see the old style one of world final format 

Mixed night for our top two in the Championship Riders Final, Aaron Summers finished with a creditable 8pts and just missed out on the semi final where Kevin Doolan finished well down the field with only 3pts.

What a great way to end the season two away wins just a shame we fell short.Totally surpassed my expectations so well done to all concerned at Berwick Speedway,think now we should have a large attendance at the final meeting to show our gratitude roll on next year.

Edited by Bandit59
missed word
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

What a great way to end the season two away wins just a shame we fell short.Totally surpassed my expectations so well done to all concerned at Berwick Speedway,think now we should have a large attendance at the final meeting to show our gratitude roll on next year.

I know there’s always a lot of competition between ourselves and the Bandits but I’m pleased for both teams doing so well when everyone had written both off at the start of the season    :t:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Have to agree.:cheers:

Couple of things I would like to see different next season

Trainee or probationary referees not taking control of championship league meetings with main meeting referee nowhere near the box (couldn't see a football referee taking control of an ECL match without working his/her way up).  Willie Dishington wouldn't have started in the Championship in Scotland without working his way up.  No problem with dead rubber matches (Berwick v Edinburgh in the shield or same teams after heat 7 in the KOC).

Certain teams getting favours from the BSPA (a rider takes time out the sport then the team should get a 28 day facility not a 29 day facility).

5 hours ago, Taylorj said:

I know there’s always a lot of competition between ourselves and the Bandits but I’m pleased for both teams doing so well when everyone had written both off at the start of the season    :t:

Yes both teams have proved the experts wrong. Workington could end up with a lot of silverware by the end of the season.

• Like 1