British Speedway Forum

Feel for Connor but a change of home track will benefit him in the long run. Does that now mean that Drew Kemp will get a average for next season?

16 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Whilst a little underwhelming (the Danny situation is more of an issue but there simply isnt anyone at that level) it is at worst like for like

Riss will be at least as productive than the Haertel/Jeppesen position even at his lower level performance and could pick up significantly

Garcia will be more consistent than Connor at home and I think its this that the promotion are concentrating on

With all due respect to Wallinger there must have been beter options. No pressure and no expectations and I hope he enjoys the experience

Im sure Connor will get fixed up and in fairness I think with a home track that isnt Foxhall he could benefit from it in the long run. He certainly leaves with the best wishes of the vast majority

I agree that Wallinger is a strange choice with all due respect him, but I think the problem the promotion may have had was finding someone who would be happy to only do a handful of meetings until Kemp comes in next Month. 

That more than likely reduced their options. 

On Mountain, you also have to wonder if last Thursday was the straw that broke the camels back? To have any realistic chance of making the play offs, we simply HAD to win our home meetings. A home defeat is hugely damaging. 

Yes again we didn’t have luck going our way, but 4 points from 7 rides from Mountain was a huge factor in that home defeat. He scored 6 last night in the top flight!

Every rider has a track they dislike, But the lad has had long enough now to at the very least, be winning the reserves race on a regular basis at home and doing far better than he has. 

Shame as he comes across as a cracking lad and has been solid away from Foxhall. 

• Like 2

Wallinger hahah what a dreadful move! There’s so many more reliable and better 2.00 riders out there and then you’re running the risk of Kemp getting an average anyway. As for Mountain, he might have had a poor meeting last week but this is still easily his best ever season. Then Riss probably does improve on Jeppesen/Hartel but why not make the swap and only replace the injured Hume?!

• Like 1

“Bringing Mark in should benefit us in the long term”

interesting comment from Hawkins. Already in for next season? Or maybe part of a bigger plan to bring brother Erik along with him next year?

What ya think Scotsman? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somewhat surprised at the scale of the changes, but you can no longer accuse Louis of not making changes early.

As much as I like Mountain, it is obvious that Foxhall just doesn’t suit him and there is no way that he was ever going to get in to the main body of the team based on his home form. He needs a different home track and good luck to the lad.

I suspect that Louis saw in Jeppesen a rider who was so slow out of the gate that he has to over try and get ragged. I just don’t see how you can give that much of a head start to the competition.

Wallinger is a strange move, but as has already been said there were probably not too many who would want such a short gig. The Wallinger/Kemp scenario feels like getting ready for 2019.

When I suggested Kemp for the injured Hume a couple of weeks ago, people who know the regulations far better than I thought this was not possible due to when his birthday falls. Has something changed or has Louis got it wrong again?

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but i'm not getting it at all ...

1 minute ago, BluPanther said:

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but i'm not getting it at all ...

That was my initial impression as well but on reflection at worst we’re probably no worse off. Riss is an upgrade on the previous two and will probably compensate for the less points we’ll probably get at reserve until Kemp replaces Wallinger. 

To be honest, I didn’t get the Peterborough team either at the start of the season and had them in the bottom half, they now sit top of the league so what do I know. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Somewhat surprised at the scale of the changes, but you can no longer accuse Louis of not making changes early.

As much as I like Mountain, it is obvious that Foxhall just doesn’t suit him and there is no way that he was ever going to get in to the main body of the team based on his home form. He needs a different home track and good luck to the lad.

I suspect that Louis saw in Jeppesen a rider who was so slow out of the gate that he has to over try and get ragged. I just don’t see how you can give that much of a head start to the competition.

Wallinger is a strange move, but as has already been said there were probably not too many who would want such a short gig. The Wallinger/Kemp scenario feels like getting ready for 2019.

When I suggested Kemp for the injured Hume a couple of weeks ago, people who know the regulations far better than I thought this was not possible due to when his birthday falls. Has something changed or has Louis got it wrong again?

I thought the cut off was the 12th and where you need to gives 3 days to be effective it was too early with his birthday on the 11th

I corrected it soon after when it was confirmed the cut of off is the 12th to be effective from the 15th

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I thought the cut off was the 12th and where you need to gives 3 days to be effective it was too early with his birthday on the 11th

I corrected it soon after when it was confirmed the cut of off is the 12th to be effective from the 15th

Great, thanks.

If it’s effective from the 15th can’t he ride in the Glasgow meeting on the 16th rather than joining after that meeting?

Smokescreen of the signing of Kemp..... it's for 2 matches at the end of August. He will not have ride in the required number to get both an average for next season or be an asset. So next year he can sign for the highest bidder.....

Anyways as we still waiting for bspa approval nothing is set in stone until then. 

I personally didn't think changes could be made that allow an injured rider to stay in the 1-7.... we'll see though...

Can't think the Witches promotion will have got it wrong again...... however can't see the bspa turning these changes down whether they legal or not

The article on the official site is a bit confusing. It says Wallinger will come in for 6 meetings and then be replaced by Drew “Following the meeting at Glasgow” next month. 

I make that 8 meetings before then? Leaving Drew to ride only 3 meetings, and possible a 4th depending on whether the Worky away meeting is rescheduled before or after his 16th birthday. 

To add to the confusion, Hawkins has said on the Redcar meeting preview..

“Danyon will be out for a few weeks and it is unfortunate for him to have another crash and another injury and we will see how quick his recovery period is but David comes in at reserve to replace him and his enthusiasm has really impressed us”.

That makes it sound as if the door isn’t closed for Hume? If he returned who would he replace? He couldn’t re-replace his replacement in Wallinger and I think his average is too high to replace Garcia??

8 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Smokescreen of the signing of Kemp..... it's for 2 matches at the end of August. He will not have ride in the required number to get both an average for next season or be an asset. 

I’ve no idea how the asset system works these days. I can remember Oliver Rayson signing “a club contract” to become an Ipswich asset on his 16th birthday back in the day, before he’d even turned a wheel for us. 

Puszakowski was another who became a club asset having ridden in only 2 or 3 meetings. I remember vividly Stuart Douglas getting the hump the following season because Lakeside wanted to sign him and we wouldn’t allow them permission for whatever reason

Edited by Arch Stanton