British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What Would You Change In Speedway Next Season?

Assuming all 18 teams survive. .................

1 league of 18 teams - so 17 home fixtures against different opposition every week with the champions crowned whoever is top after 34 matches

end of season playoff for top 8 - get a sponsor so teams take it seriously

the current 8 premier league teams - form 'superteams' and play in a superleague equal to the polish and Swedish league racing on only a MONDAY or WEDNESDAY - 7 home meetings and 7 away meetings - top 4 into plays in early October (it means these teams have had 24 home matches from mid March to late Sept - 7 premier + 17 championship)

the other 10 championship sides - play in a league cup competition at the start of season ( 3 groups - 2 semis and final - completed by JUNE) and a knock out cup with quarters in july semi in aug and final in sept

four team tournament - one week in july ..... 4 one off quarter finals staged with top 2 from each going to the final in aug (top 4 sides on averages seeded and host a meeting)

team make up :

for the 18 team championship .............. 42.50 points limit ............ number 6 must be a british rider under 25 .......... number 7 rider must be british rider but nl and average below 3.50

for the 8 team premiership ........... 42.50 limit .......... 1 gp rider or foreign rider not in the championship ................at least 3 riders from your championship team ............. the others from other championship sides and the number 7 must be a british rider under 25 (ie a number 6 of the championship teams)

just some thoughts to mull over ............ we still have a top flight league for the 8, a stronger championship with more variety, plenty of other comps in FTT, league cup, play offs and koc ............. and the top riders can ride in 2 leagues with upto 48 matches with doubling not impacting availability as top flight only race on Monday or wednesday

Edited by mauger65

Some great ideas there but at what we are assured are current pay rates ( £50 per point all round max. ) a seven point rider will earn £17k from his racing. Hmmm. Sponsors will be very, very important then.

Edited by waytogo28

There has been a lot of criticism of the BSPA over the last few months. The Star has a piece by Dick Barrie that suggests when he attended previous Agm's new ideas by intelligent new promoters would be shouted down. I've also read that the old guard whoever they are still control UK speedway even though there was a threat of a breakaway a few years ago. From what I can see there are more new promoters than old guard eg Glasgow, Berwick, Redcar, Somerset, rye house, Workington, Peterborough, belle vue, Sheffield, Leicester, Ipswich,etc. They should club together kick out the old guard and tell them to form their own promoters group, something like Bored of UK Speedway (sorry meant Board)

• Like 3

There has been a lot of criticism of the BSPA over the last few months. The Star has a piece by Dick Barrie that suggests when he attended previous Agm's new ideas by intelligent new promoters would be shouted down. I've also read that the old guard whoever they are still control UK speedway even though there was a threat of a breakaway a few years ago. From what I can see there are more new promoters than old guard eg Glasgow, Berwick, Redcar, Somerset, rye house, Workington, Peterborough, belle vue, Sheffield, Leicester, Ipswich,etc. They should club together kick out the old guard and tell them to form their own promoters group, something like Bored of UK Speedway (sorry meant Board)

Despite various brave new dawns and repackaging over the years , the long suffering speedway fan has just endured the most shambolic season in the history of our sport .

I just hope somebody goes to Tenerife with ideas , the vision , the lack of self interest and the diplomatic skills to open the eyes of those who will not see .

But i'm not holding my breath .

• Like 5

A few years ago, a former promoter told me that attending BSPA AGMs was like being in a bear pit. I'm hoping that the new breed can start to turn things around, if it's not too late.

Guest Scunny2012

Tweaking of the rules, team limits, league structure ,etc will make no difference whatsoever to crowd levels, it will still be the same people attending week after week, Speedway needs mainstream tv coverage (fact) look at formula 1 the most boring follow the leader sport in the world but with mass tv coverage every weekend .

i dont think you can compare F1 to speedway .

F1 is once a year in the uk and everyone that has an interest in it goes to it . where as speedway is every week and it can get a bit of a binde if the product fails to supply interest .

so for me ,speedway wins all the time . just need to get good promotions putting on entertainment during heats (not kids tug o war rubbish) pure value for money .

Affordable

get control of costs now before it all goes ** up - 1st year business studies. Costs are the one main thing you have control over - you don't have as much control over your selling price (i.e. admission fees must be competitive against other entertainments and of course staying at home).

Yes you can publicise but its not as important as cost control

I bet the promoters don't run their businesses like they run their tracks

i dont think you can compare F1 to speedway .

F1 is once a year in the uk and everyone that has an interest in it goes to it . where as speedway is every week and it can get a bit of a binde if the product fails to supply interest .

so for me ,speedway wins all the time . just need to get good promotions putting on entertainment during heats (not kids tug o war rubbish) pure value for money .

If that could ever be achieved the sport of speedway might possibly be revived in the UK but we all know this will not happen and riders are almost as much to blame for the poor racing on offer.

No, you meant Bored and Can't be Bothered. Not bothered to listen to new ideas or feedback.

Edited by waytogo28

Despite various brave new dawns and repackaging over the years , the long suffering speedway fan has just endured the most shambolic season in the history of our sport .

I just hope somebody goes to Tenerife with ideas , the vision , the lack of self interest and the diplomatic skills to open the eyes of those who will not see .

But i'm not holding my breath .

Just await the press release stating a productive meeting with positive ideas to take the sport forward - same time next year lads, carry on regardless and don't worry about the press release it's the standard template and we just edit it a bit and change the date each year!

• Like 4

Speedway next year will attract a whole new audience because promoters will spend more time and money advertising it.....

That is what I would like to see.

the rules of british speedway are not really rules , they are just get out clauses in the rule so that when it goes bosom uo. THEY USE EM !

• Like 2