British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What Would You Change In Speedway Next Season?

If doubling up continues & the current guest free for all then I will be staying away.

I refuse to continue supporting a sport that makes & breaks rules to suit

Speedway is advertised as exciting, thrilling, full of drama but for those 15 mins or racing ( of which 5 might be genuinely exciting ) you have to suffer 8 - 10 mins per race of tractor racing, inaudible announcements and interviews with riders, old music played too loudly and other boring pointless goings on. Or you can go to buy very unhealthy, expensive junk food. The overall experience for a newbie - can't be very impressive can it?

Why I became addicted to it I just can't work out 60 years later. I blame my parents. Thankfully my love affair / obsession has slowly ebbed away over the past few years ( of disillusionment at how it has been run ) and I'm free to waste my money on something else. Over the years I took many newbies and very, very few returned of their own accord. Most cited - the first away nearly always wins.

The only thing to be improved is better, closer more exciting racing and crisply run meetings where fans are more involved. Sadly in my experience the promoters, collectively can't or won't do that. It's very reminiscent of what happened to the British motorcycle industry.

• Like 1

Speedway is advertised as exciting, thrilling, full of drama but for those 15 mins or racing ( of which 5 might be genuinely exciting ) you have to suffer 8 - 10 mins per race of tractor racing, inaudible announcements and interviews with riders, old music played too loudly and other boring pointless goings on. Or you can go to buy very unhealthy, expensive junk food. The overall experience for a newbie - can't be very impressive can it?

Why I became addicted to it I just can't work out 60 years later. I blame my parents. Thankfully my love affair / obsession has slowly ebbed away over the past few years ( of disillusionment at how it has been run ) and I'm free to waste my money on something else. Over the years I took many newbies and very, very few returned of their own accord. Most cited - the first away nearly always wins.

The only thing to be improved is better, closer more exciting racing and crisply run meetings where fans are more involved. Sadly in my experience the promoters, collectively can't or won't do that. It's very reminiscent of what happened to the British motorcycle industry.

Agree with much of that. Peterborough isn't too bad to be fair although always room for improvement in all areas. It's the lack of consistency that P's me off. Sometimes good presentation, next time plop. Sometimes music ok at a good level. Next booming dross at high level. Next the music back to ok but you need the ear trumpet to hear it, as well as any announcements. Invisible tedious pit interviews breaking the atmos do my head in. I'd ban the roving mic from anywhere but the centre green. Meetings are often run swiftly but also sometimes strung out through lack of urgency, for which the ref is often pointed out as the problem? If I was promoter I'd be requesting that they not irritate the punters and run the meeting efficiently, of course checking with a BSPA official first to see whether such advice would incur a fine? That's of course if it is the ref that's the problem?

When riders miss matches for no good reason, no guests allowed & a 28 day ban!

That short changes punters. 28 day ban is fine although I'd make it 56 to focus the mind. Teams should be allowed a like for like guest so that the meeting is as competetive as it should have been.

If doubling up continues & the current guest free for all then I will be staying away.

I refuse to continue supporting a sport that makes & breaks rules to suit

It's certainly getting to the point where you have to question why you're turning up to watch a constant stream of select sides.

Keep it simple

https://app.box.com/s/fzngmofjdpxqb3ycqmkihyjmezg8mepe

Most important thing is the standard of on track entertainment. Tracks which are conducive to passing, meetings planned to be completed in under 90 minutes, jump starts to be penalised retrospectively at the end of the heat.

Promoters must understand that new supporters are likely to have been attracted by SGP so the product has to meet expectations whilst being financially viable.

• Like 1

And Please No More double headers a la Stoke's end of season frolics! 30 heats plus advertised and 20 run - was a refund offered?

Some clubs like Edinburgh are very good at putting on double headers & get all 30 heats on! Stoke seem very poor at it!

Get rid of Chapman & Godfrey, & get a new chairman & vice chairman

That should be the 1st thing on the agenda to get shut of Gobfrey and (Buster) Chapman as neither of them are fit for purpose.

• Like 2

That should be the 1st thing on the agenda to get shut of Gobfrey and (Buster) Chapman as neither of them are fit for purpose.

The question is who the he*l is, it's the same names in the frame going around in circles, the new bad decisions on officers are the same old bad decisions on the same old names. They are the problem, the only difference is which clowns are you going to vote for this time

• Like 1

Who would you replace them with? .................Matt Ford & Ged Rathbone :nono::nono: (co conspirators in the Holder affair as it affected both clubs :shock: )

Get rid of Chapman & Godfrey, & get a new chairman & vice chairman

Make no difference whatsoever if it is another current promoter. Be no different to what's happening in Zimbabwe ( except no one would be murdered ) One Dictator for another who has no better ideas. External overlord, which they will never accept, is the only option if speedway is to survive in the UK as a professional sport.

Who'd want the job of Chairman/Vice Chairman anyway? Are there promoter's actually queuing up for the job or do they get pushed into it? It's a position that requires much time and effort with little or no reward', just plenty hassle... Let the SCB take over the roll.

Who would you replace them with? .................Matt Ford & Ged Rathbone :nono::nono: (co conspirators in the Holder affair as it affected both clubs :shock: )

I believe Grace Mugabe has some unexpected free time on her hands...

I believe Grace Mugabe has some unexpected free time on her hands...

As do the company given the task of restoring Big Ben

As you have answered your own question then there is no need for me to reply , however I don't see where it's affected Matt Ford at Poole in anyway, unless you know something that nobody else knows about.