Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What Would You Change In Speedway Next Season?

No way doubling up can be scaled back, not enough riders about. So the top 2 divisions must ride on separate nights.

Fixture coordinator that has total power to tell teams it's better to ride with one rider missing in June/July, than have hardly any fans watching a pointless meeting on a cold wet October night. No more of this 3 choices nonsense, this is when you riding, get over it!!!!

Most other things I want cost money, so pointless typing those, if the BSPA wouldn't spend a penny on the future of the sport when Sky were giving them a wedge, no way they can spend any now.

• Like 1

Agree with most of what has been said.

Riders digging at the gate is a pet hate. Could each track get a solid surface starting gate? This would make all four start positions even and give the riders nothing to dig.

One "big" league with 16/18 teams would be great with a development league. One meeting home and away. A proper 4 team tournament with qualification rounds.

The table toppers win the league after the set matches. Have a playoff tournament/KO cup as the other "big" trophy

Two aspects I would take from the ice-hockey.

Have a "playoff type weekend". A festival of speedway for all fans at the NSS, possibly KO Cup final and League(s) Riders championship?

Live streaming from all tracks. As much as the updaters do a great job, I would happily pay £8/£10 to watch away meetings that I can't make online. Have an exclusion zone of 50 miles so it wouldn't stop local fans going to the track. I'm sure I'd watch more than just my team too.

• Like 1

Solid starting grid wont work because the new bikes have too much power so they will just spin on the starts, I agree table toppers should win the league though. Live streaming wont work because fans would just sit at home and not bothering going so then tracks would lose money on the gate, look what happens when tracks get put on TV, they need to cut the cost of admission just to get people through the gate still

• Like 1

If , what is being suggested , the Championship runs Friday , Saturday , Sunday , make the Cardiff weekend a festival of speedway . Have the Championship Pairs at Somerset on the Friday , the GP Saturday and back to Somerset on the Sunday for the Championship Fours . That would free up a weekend lost .

• Like 2

Stop the tractor racing after every 3 to 4 races. Think I have spent more time this season watching tractors on the track than I have bikes. At some tracks I have seen there be an interval after heat 10 and the tractors come out after heat 11!!!. Then they are out again between heat 14 and 15 even if the result of the meeting is done and dusted, I have seen a delay of sometimes 10 to 15 minutes just for 1 last meaningless race due to tractor grading .....

Stop the tractor racing after every 3 to 4 races. Think I have spent more time this season watching tractors on the track than I have bikes. At some tracks I have seen there be an interval after heat 10 and the tractors come out after heat 11!!!. Then they are out again between heat 14 and 15 even if the result of the meeting is done and dusted, I have seen a delay of sometimes 10 to 15 minutes just for 1 last meaningless race due to tractor grading .....

Theyll usually bring a tractor out after heat 14 while managers pick the lineups for heat 15 and while bikes are getting prepared, and to make the last race as entertaining for the fans as they possibly can, tractors usually come out every 4 heats anyway to bring the shale back coz the track changes drastically, inside ends up slick and all the dirt ends up on the air fence pretty much, tractors need to come out to stop tracks going to 1 line, but they dont need to do as many laps as they do sometimes

• Like 1

Play offs - when teams still have 3 or 4 meetings to run and the title is already concluded.

It's a disaster of a business model for some clubs.

Give teams back riders who they can be recognise with and not riding for 2 teams - so an amalgamation of the 2 leagues with some 'stars' attracted back and the best NL boys promoted.

• Like 1

The WEATHER :t:

the weather would not be a problem if meeting were carried out during the summer . ya know , when we have that 4/5/6 week break for eck all .

No way doubling up can be scaled back, not enough riders about. So the top 2 divisions must ride on separate nights.

Fixture coordinator that has total power to tell teams it's better to ride with one rider missing in June/July, than have hardly any fans watching a pointless meeting on a cold wet October night. No more of this 3 choices nonsense, this is when you riding, get over it!!!!

Most other things I want cost money, so pointless typing those, if the BSPA wouldn't spend a penny on the future of the sport when Sky were giving them a wedge, no way they can spend any now.

How about a single "British League" of 18 teams plus existing National League. BL Teams have 6 riders racing over 13 heats (4 rides each plus a heat 13 of top two nominated riders). Each BL team to maintain a 'B' team of 4 junior riders (including the BL no. 7) who will stage a 4-heat mini-match after heat 9 of the main BL match.

According to my reckoning, there were 199 riders registered in 2017. If British League consisted of 18 teams of 6 riders, at least one of which had to be a National League double-upper, we'd have enough to go round without losing out on race quality.

• Like 2

If a rider falls and it is evident that he seen where his team partner is in the race and as a result deliberately stays down to give his partner a second chance (assumes partner is in 2nd or 3rd) then the faller should be excluded and the partner penalised by having to go off 15mtrs in the restart. Last night at Swindon was an example of this tactic.

No way doubling up can be scaled back, not enough riders about.

Don't agree with that at all. It was put there, it can be removed.

Not enough riders - false. I don't have enough money for a Lamborghini but I've just about enough for a secondhand Mondeo. We will just have to cut our cloth to suit and if it means 6 man teams or 5 man teams then so be it. I want to see riders riding for one team, the shambles that has been the 2017 season has had much to do with doubling up/down combined with injuries and not being allowed to sign replacements so fixtures full of R/R and Guests. Trying to explain this to non-speedway friends and colleagues and they shake their head in astonishment at how badly run it all seems. From my point of view there's no point in continuing with doubling up/down cos I won't attend such a shambles, its the main reason why I've lost interest and reduced attendance.

• Like 4