British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Edmund Migos

A wonderful article badly translated i think on the anniversary(almost) of his Polish Individual title win

With this victory over Gluecklich, Bombik and Cieslak, Edmund Migoś sealed the title of the individual champion of Poland in 1970. As the first Steel Slugger to reach for this honorable title, which for many years patiently waited for supporters from the Upper Warnemuende.

"- I knew the audience wanted my victory and I dreamed of it too," he would say after years of Krzysztof Hołyński from "Gazeta Lubuska". - I went very well. The rival class was the best cheering. Before my last race Janek Malinowski and other activists and speeders congratulated me. I told them: wait, I have another race, To the end I was wary. I won and then I could afford to enjoy myself. I had tears in my eyes when the whole stadium went wild with happiness. "

And it happened on last Sunday (27th) of September 1970, on the Gorzów track. The finals were played for the first time in Gorzów, because according to the rules in force, the team champion of Poland organized the finals of the individual championships in the following year. It ran out on the start of this finale, among others. Jancarz, Pogorzelskiego and Padewski. Injuries and other random cases made it impossible for them to occur. Apart from Migosia, there was also Dziatkowiak from the local club. There was no one backing Dziatkowiak - he was too young, he lacked the skills, experience. Everyone was counting on Migos. He was already the vice-champion of the country and the medalist of the World Cup. And he started on his own track in front of his own audience.

Edmund Migoś started his sports career in the fifties from ... boxing. Like Rogal. And also in Stal. And maybe he would stay at the box longer if the team did not break up with him to qualify for promotion to League II. Then he took a motocross. Also in Stal. And here he got to know from the good side. He was the champion and runner in the 125 ccm class. From the motocross to the shale. Of course, in Stal. So in an unusual way began his adventure with black sport.

In 1970 he was 33 years old. It was time to get the highest medal he did not have in his collection, which he missed very much, as he admitted himself. And he was also lacking fans, activists. Three, but similar desires were Wyglenda and Woryna from Rybnik, Waloszek and Mucha from Świętochłowice, Trzeszkowski and Bruzda from Wroclaw, Gluecklich from Bydgoszcz, Rye from Gdansk and other participants of the Gorzów finale. Only one could win.

This one was Migos. In spite of losing starts four times passed the finish line first and once he was the second loser with the Appearance. It gave him a total of 14 points and the title of country champion along with the cap of Kadyrov (former Soviet rider - Gabdrachman Kadyrov, six time world champion in ice races), handed down for years as an unofficial attribute of the championship. Each master added his name to his master and passed on to the next. The second was Woryna, the third appearance. The three-pointer was on the fifteenth position.

It was a great day for Edmund Miguzia and continuation of the good pass - a week ago he won the bronze medal at DMW with the Polish team at Wembley. He got 4 points there, with the partners Jan Mucha - 6 points, Antoni Woryna - 5 points, Henryk Gluecklich - 3 points. and Paweł Waloszka - 2 pts. Earlier, for the first time in his career, he appeared in the IMS finale at the Wrocław stadium, where he collected four points and finished 14th. The great triumph was celebrated by Ivan Mauger, but the Poles also celebrated - Waloszek was the second, the third was Venus.

It was the best season in Migos's career, for which his clubmates could not keep up the pace for various reasons. But in sport, it is so that once you win, once loses, that next to the upsides are also falls, often unmoved and unintended. Next to the winners must be losers. The most important thing is to want to win and do everything in power.

The Stalinists wanted to win, but they started the season in not very optimistic moods. Padua continued to heal the injury, and the Jankovian complained about the injuries he had suffered from the injury several times, but he did not resign from the start. Others were not in full force and health ...

Appearances on the bitter gourd have started since their start in England, where they went - strengthened by ROW players - as part of a visit to the Poole champions. After a series of meetings, most of the winners returned to national stadiums to catch up on the league. At the inauguration they won 41:36 with Kolejarz Opole, who was until then a true revelation of the game, as he had the same wins and draws. Then the gorzowianie, despite absenteeism of Padua and Jancarz (a new injury came to an old injury), defeated Gdańsk Coast 40:38.

But what was further, it was worse. The Steelers lost the meeting after the meeting, unlike the championship team of the previous season. Jurasz and Dziatkowiak joined the injured circle and Pogorzelski was suspended for disciplinary reasons for disciplinary reasons. In this situation, it was necessary to put a strong youth club, which was struggling, but she was not able to do much. The group of Migos and Pogorzelski pupils was increasingly joined by Bogusław Nowak, Roman Jóźwiak and Zenon Plech. The weight of the league fight fell to those who were now healthy and able to ride. Under these circumstances, Dziatkowiak, who had grown up as a class player, was a good candidate.

Finally, Stal took fifth place in the table, winning 7 victories (three at the end of the season), one tie and six losing. The most effective athlete, despite constant health problems, was Jancarz, who scored an average of 2.46 points in 35 starts. Behind him in the club scoring was Pogorzelski - 34 / 2.30 and Migos - 58 / 2.03.

In such a difficult personnel situation, the victory in the PZMot cup. was a pleasant surprise. The more valuable that after eight years the cup finally came from Rybnik to Gorzow. However, in individual competitions, apart from the performance of Migosia, the steelmakers themselves did not succeed. One of the consolation was the advancement of young players who, in competition with their peers, were showing themselves better and better each time. In the finals of the Polish championship Plech took fourth place and Nowak was sixth.

They enjoyed the advancement of young slangers, but were worried about the injuries and injuries of the basic players. The Jancarz finally decided on an operation that would bring him back to the old shoulder. Migos, in one of the last Golden Boot competitions, suffered a very serious spinal injury and his career has been questioned. Fortunately, he will come out of it and will not have to give up practicing his beloved slag.

In any case, the season sluggish ended in Gorzow without Jancarz, Migosia and Pogorzelski, but with Nowak and Plech, and with Gryt and Look with ROW a friendly meeting with the CAMK team from the Soviet Union. The hosts won 50:26, and next to the most successful Padewski, the youngster Plech liked the most.

Severe successors of masters, however, have not yet said the last word. (...)

During the winter break, Jancarz and Migoś returned to health. They also cured minor injuries to other competitors. They were, therefore, the basis for believing that the experience of veterans combined with the ambition and talent of the young would give very favorable results.

"In 1971, we will reach the title of country team champion," said Aleksander Dzilne, Witold Głowania and Zygmunt Szarabajko, who spoke to Roman Siud from "Gazeta Lubuska". "Unless the bad guys leave the club," continued R. Siuda. - hard to miss in the favorites of the No. 1. The seasoned youngsters are capable of gathering 5-8 points in every competition. After all, the old guards or thoughts give way to the frontiers of other clubs. The work of the mechanics of Edward Pilarczyk and Teodor Pogorzelski is also motivated by optimism. The equipment is not lacking - the highest class, as well as the motorcycles intended for training slag slates. And at the stadium at ul. Silesian superiors host this facility Alexander Ilnicki. The Steelers say that the past 10 years have not been as good as the current host. "

However, the premiership was not successful for the bitter. "Gazeta Lubuska" reported: "Yesterday's inaugural slalom league matches were played at the set of spectators. With the greatest interest was expected the duel of Polish champion ROW Rybnik with Gorzów Stala, taking on many troubles in full composition. The fishermen once again resisted the attacks of opponents, winning 43:35. Points for ROW scored: 12, Woryna 10, Gryt and Maslowski after 8, Peszka 3, Reinchold and St. Jacek 10, Pogorzelski 9, Padewski 7, Migoś 5, Dziatkowiak, Plech, Nowak and Jurasz after 1.

The first three runs were won by 4: 2 ROW players. From the fourth run, a fierce battle ensued, which resulted in six gears. The Gorzowians triumphed twice. The best player of the game was Wyglenda, who won the set of points. Well, the janitors must have recognized the superiority of ROW representatives three times. Maslowski in one of the races did an easy job of defeating the bitter gourd. All in all, the hosts made a well-deserved victory, although the fight was leveled off and the guests deserved the words of recognition for their relentless fighting. The serious shortcoming of the competition was the poorly prepared track, which caused a few accidents. "

Losing a small amount of points on the circuit of the champion, who had in his ranks several of the almost full-time representatives of the country actually did not bring and did not judge anything. As proving league practice, to be a champion you must first win at home, and on departure you do not necessarily have to win all rivals.

At home, in the next match, the steelmen showed they could win. "She did not give a chance," wrote Gazeta Lubuska, a team of Gorzów Steel, who beat her on the own track of Kolejarzy Opole 47:31. Edward Yancarz demonstrated the excellent form, scoring 12 points in four races. Of the remaining competitors, Padewski and Jurasz and Nowak were most impressed. He did not disappoint, nor did he glitter Pogorzelski. In the team of Kolejnik Skowron, Bombik and Szczakiel started five times, but on difficult, demanding technical driving gorzowkim track nothing beyond bravada did not show.

The match was without history. Only in the XII race were the 4-2 winners. Seven races ended in a draw, and four hosts won 5: 1 and one 4: 2. (...) Points for Steel were won by Jancarz 12, Pogorzelski and Padewski after 8, Jurasz and Nowak by 6, Dziatkowiak 5 and Plech. 2, and for Kolejarz - Skowron 9, Bombik 8, Szczakiel 7, Kozubski 4 and Golec, Liber and Hyla after 1. "

There is a lack of attention in the composition of Edmund Migosia, who was after all the basic player. Exactly, he was ...

"It happened," he recalled after years in "Gazeta Lubuska" - during a training session with Zenon Plech. From his comeback to the section we knew we were dealing with great talent. 18-year-old Zenek, however, made a blatant technical error on the bent. I wanted to help him. We agreed to show him how to get a motorbike on the bow. We went together, close together. Out of the corner of my eye I watched the situation. At some point, when I left, I felt a right foot strike. Raised my motorcycle. With the machine I collapsed on the band. The grid did not break, and the motorbike reflected from it collapsed on me. The engine has crushed my head near the left eye causing serious skull injuries. What was next, I know only from stories ... After eight days I regained consciousness, but to cure was far away. I very much thought that I would return to the track. I thought I would do it in spite of fate. Failed to."

Such is sport - fast, dynamic, but very dangerous. On shale, accidents and falls, collisions and karambole, injuries and bruises are natural, as if inscribed in the specifics of this sport. You can lose a life on the speedway or become a cripple. This shocking us, but also fascinating. We are often afraid of ourselves, and we are more eager to admire those who have the courage to race against the track and rivals - machine in the machine, shoulder in the shoulder, leg in the leg ... Fight with rivals, but in the heat of battle sometimes forget, Fortunately, the speedwayers generally respect each other because they know what it is they are doing.

An example, even the gentleman of the track - described in the world literature - was two-time world champion (1959 and 1962) Englishman Peter Craven. The fine and inconspicuous was called the master of the balance because he was able to sense the center of gravity of the motorcycle so perfectly that the skepticism of the bike and the speed offset the opposing forces acting on the controlled slip so that he would drive four laps without supporting his left foot. And he won! Never tried to win at all costs, at the expense of the fall and injury of the opponent. He died on the track faithful to the end of his rules. During the last race he wanted to avoid having to crash on a rider before him. There was neither time nor place to avoid. At full speed, he lay down with the machine on the track and with a terrible force hit the support band. He died on his way to the hospital.

Migoś was more fortunate. He survived but became crippled for the rest of his life. With the time of forgotten cripple, who once was a great rider ...

He died on Spetember 3rd,2006
Edited by iris123
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting that. Migoś was one of the riders I most looked forward to watching when we used to have proper international matches under the 18 heat format. I can still vividly remember him coming round the pits bend at Poole on the outside of four abreast. He didn’t give an inch and got into the back straight in front. It drew a collective gasp from the crowd in that area. One of the most breathtaking moments I have ever known, it was that awesome.

:)

• Like 1

Reading on the International speedway website about the 1967 GB v Poland tour and it seems the Poles had some equipment stolen from outside their Newcastle hotel!!!!! They were doing quite well in the series,but got slaughtered really in that last test.Was it due to the infamous 'trick track' or their stolen equipment or a combination of the two?

Absolute tragic that he recieved life changing injuries from an accident trying to pass on some advice to the young Zenon Plech in a training session