British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

I accept we are in the silly season of speculation however, if there is any truth in the rumours that leicester approached our old promotor with a view to signing Wozniak for 2018 and advised of price resulting in speculation he is Poole bound due to budgets then I say shame on you He....y. Least you owe is supporting this city with the opportunity to give the public a competitive site since your development of the sport back to this city. Business man or not if again rumours are true not paying riders towards the end of your reign could at least show a little support to those many fans who supported you....

I accept we are in the silly season of speculation however, if there is any truth in the rumours that leicester approached our old promotor with a view to signing Wozniak for 2018 and advised of price resulting in speculation he is Poole bound due to budgets then I say shame on you He....y. Least you owe is supporting this city with the opportunity to give the public a competitive site since your development of the sport back to this city. Business man or not if again rumours are true not paying riders towards the end of your reign could at least show a little support to those many fans who supported you....

How can this be? If he is an old promoter , who was banned how could he personally have an asset base?

• Like 1

Fairly pleased with the team signings to date and it's nice to have named 5 by this time of year for a change. It's difficult to guess who the remaining 2 might be in view of the lack of (official) information regarding assessed averages and what the management have to play with (and can afford).

Last season our reserve pairings were as good as anyone's and I think it is important to try and maintain strength in that department again. This makes Newman an important signing.

I recall quite a few meetings last year (home and away) where we kept things tight only to be undone in heats 13 and 15. This has hopefully not been lost on the management and trust that the next signings include someone of at least Nilsson's calibre (whom I would be happy with again although there are rumours that he will be giving the UK a miss next year) to accompany Vaculik. I' m okay with King as a third heat leader but he did cost us vital points when he came up short in these heats last season.

There is every reason to be positive at this stage and hope that the completed line up (which will of course see its first change by the end of April!) will be attractive enough to maintain the interest of fans disgruntled with the move from Saturday nights.

• Like 2

How can this be? If he is an old promoter , who was banned how could he personally have an asset base?

And still be allowed through the gates to watch the racing. Bolt the door and throw away the key if he's prostituted his asset to the highest bidder, I say.

Big loss to the Lions though if he's signing for Poole, as he's a great competitor & a terrific rider.

• Like 1

And still be allowed through the gates to watch the racing. Bolt the door and throw away the key if he's prostituted his asset to the highest bidder, I say.

Big loss to the Lions though if he's signing for Poole, as he's a great competitor & a terrific rider.

Agree with you that Wozniak is a great competitor, but there is a great deal of difference between the Wozniak who rode at BP, where he averaged 7.25 in 2016 & the rider you get away from BP, where he averaged 4.62 with only 4 heat wins. Even having rode the away tracks for 2 seasons he didn't really master them. With Vaculik & Pieszczek new to British tracks it probably would be too much of a gamble to include Wozniak anyway. Having said that there'd probably be not too many home defeats.

• Like 2

There is every reason to be positive at this stage and hope that the completed line up (which will of course see its first change by the end of April!) will be attractive enough to maintain the interest of fans disgruntled with the move from Saturday nights.

I think that there are many many fans very happy with the move away from Saturday nights.

Having fixed nights for this league is one of the best things that has happened.

• Like 1

If Mr Hemsley sold the club to Buster Chapman as was reported, who then cleared the debts, it would make sense that he also inherited any rider assets, too.

When Chapman then sold the club on to the Bates's, did the sale include rider assets, or not. If not, the rider assets would be Chapman's.

Fairly pleased with the team signings to date and it's nice to have named 5 by this time of year for a change. It's difficult to guess who the remaining 2 might be in view of the lack of (official) information regarding assessed averages and what the management have to play with (and can afford).

Last season our reserve pairings were as good as anyone's and I think it is important to try and maintain strength in that department again. This makes Newman an important signing.

I recall quite a few meetings last year (home and away) where we kept things tight only to be undone in heats 13 and 15. This has hopefully not been lost on the management and trust that the next signings include someone of at least Nilsson's calibre (whom I would be happy with again although there are rumours that he will be giving the UK a miss next year) to accompany Vaculik. I' m okay with King as a third heat leader but he did cost us vital points when he came up short in these heats last season.

Completely agree. Maybe a punt on someone like Robert Lambert as 2nd heat leader? Rides Beaumont Park well.

Completely agree. Maybe a punt on someone like Robert Lambert as 2nd heat leader? Rides Beaumont Park well.

Rob Lambert will be at Kings Lynn, won't he?

I still don't quite get how DH has retained the asset list in the sale and would have wanted Wozniak back.

However and in defence of DH, wasn't it suggested that by selling to Buster and then to DB that they managed to "do" DH out of fees or get it a sale at a reduced price? If so I fail to see why DH would fall over himself to allow Leicester to use Wozniak at a reduced rate. If that was the case (I have no knowledge but am sure I remember someone saying it) then it is a case of what goes around comes around. If I found out that I had been shafted in a business deal I wouldn't help those out and accept the reduced rate and would certainly maximize the fee. If that prices out Leicester and means he goes to Poole who are prepared to pay the fee then so be it.

Rob Lambert will be at Kings Lynn, won't he?

He may well end up back at Lynn. Was not a happy bunny at the end of last season though with the Lynn promotion, you never know he could be looking elsewhere. Worth a shout.

If Martin Vaculik does carry a 9 point assessed average, that bullet is probably worth biting.

If Krys Pieszckek is assessed as 6 (or even 6.5 at a push) that might be ok. But if he is given a starting average of 7, I'm not so sure he's good value, especially if it means Kim Nilsson can't be fitted in. I have seen the rave reviews but would prefer us to start with three known heat leaders (classing King as the third) than have King as the no.2 and the third one not certain. Lasse Bjerre might also become a possibility for the team without Pieszczek.

If Martin Vaculik does carry a 9 point assessed average, that bullet is probably worth biting.

If Krys Pieszckek is assessed as 6 (or even 6.5 at a push) that might be ok. But if he is given a starting average of 7, I'm not so sure he's good value, especially if it means Kim Nilsson can't be fitted in. I have seen the rave reviews but would prefer us to start with three known heat leaders (classing King as the third) than have King as the no.2 and the third one not certain. Lasse Bjerre might also become a possibility for the team without Pieszczek.

If Pieszckek is a 7, which I imagine he could well be ( similar status to Przedpelski, who was a 7) ,then Nilsson could fit in but would only leave 2.33 for the last rider, which doesn't leave a lot of options.

If Pieszckek is a 7, which I imagine he could well be ( similar status to Przedpelski, who was a 7) ,then Nilsson could fit in but would only leave 2.33 for the last rider, which doesn't leave a lot of options.

He's a Category 1 rider, having ridden in a professional league, which means he'll be a minimum of 7 but could be assessed higher. That's if the existing basic assessment rule hasn't changed.