British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

If his 2017 Div 2 average is 3.33 then I think it would be fair to give him the converted Div 1 equivalent of 2.56. 

If he has an established top flight average then it's only fair they use that. 

• Like 1

Using an assessment dating back to 2016 doesn't feel right. How the authorities (using that term loosely) work out these averages is complete nonsense.

38 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Using an assessment dating back to 2016 doesn't feel right. How the authorities (using that term loosely) work out these averages is complete nonsense.

It's all nonsense. 

They are regrading riders like Tai to a 9 (or 8 it now appears), allowing some who have improved massively since 2016 to come back on an old average (Woryna), and then giving Clegg a 2 point average from his 4 meetings for Wolves which normally wouldn't qualify you for a new average. 

Depends who is asking as to who gets an average to suit.  The governing body haven't made one fair assessment yet on averages for 2018.

So some will get an advantage next year and some will be denied. All thanks to the pathetic efforts of our governing body to muck up the averages yet again. :angry:

• Like 2

If Sarjeant starts on his 2016 figure of 3.81 it is terrible signing, he only averaged 3.33 in 2017 with Ipswich & Workington in the Championship.  It (4.65) wouldn't even leave enough for Eric Riss (5.75) to complete the team.  Terrible team compared to that which was mooted on here a few weeks ago.  I am assuming that Vaculik is assessed as starting on 9:00 & Pieszczek on 7.00.

Edited by Col

Most recent SGB average is 3.33 in CL which converts to, what, 2.++ for PL?

Rumour about him signing for Lions began a few weeks ago, so perhaps the club were trying to get his GSA verified before confirming him? Based on his form in 2017 I doubt if the club would have him at 3.81 whereas 2.++ could mean Kim Nilsson or similar as the final appointment.

Interesting, that according to the Leicester Mercury website , Sargeant as been signed on a full transfer & will become an asset subject to approval. It also states they are trying to avoid paying costly loan fees, with Josh Bates registration being owned by the club it only leaves loan fees being paid for Newman & King.

48 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Most recent SGB average is 3.33 in CL which converts to, what, 2.++ for PL?

Rumour about him signing for Lions began a few weeks ago, so perhaps the club were trying to get his GSA verified before confirming him? Based on his form in 2017 I doubt if the club would have him at 3.81 whereas 2.++ could mean Kim Nilsson or similar as the final appointment.

Certainly hope you’re right about all this, otherwise as signings go this is a bit of an odd one! Suppose though the future of Josh Bates could have a significant bearing on all of this too

26 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

Interesting, that according to the Leicester Mercury website , Sargeant as been signed on a full transfer & will become an asset subject to approval. It also states they are trying to avoid paying costly loan fees, with Josh Bates registration being owned by the club it only leaves loan fees being paid for Newman & King.

That must of cost all of a fiver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

If his 2017 Div 2 average is 3.33 then I think it would be fair to give him the converted Div 1 equivalent of 2.56. 

2.56 would be a bargain.

Leicester have now got a complete team just awaiting to announce the last rider which will surprise a few as would not think he would want to come to the Lions.

11 hours ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Which I believe if what it will be. Riders don't keep old averages when they achieve a new one in another league.

6 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

2.56 would be a bargain.

Not really.  I'm sure there is a decent prospect Leicester could sign on 2.00 who would be as valuable.  You only really need one good reserve. if Newman doesn't have that covered what is the point of signing him?

He drives me mental watching him (only on TV), no rider needs two tapes exclusions a meeting.

Edited by Col

20 hours ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

No it would not be fair. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col said:

Not really.  I'm sure there is a decent prospect Leicester could sign on 2.00 who would be as valuable.  You only really need one good reserve. if Newman doesn't have that covered what is the point of signing him?

He drives me mental watching him (only on TV), no rider needs two tapes exclusions a meeting.

Newman is more than capable of beating most reserves consistently, probably won't be at reserve very long though.