British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

On 24/03/2018 at 12:10 PM, Big Al said:

Looking forward to the start. But no news on the Bates situation's a bit unsettling. Maybe a bit of trouble at t'mill caused by Sarjeant's average? 

55 minutes ago, Smithchops said:

We have R/R for JB for 28 days !, I agree the comms about this from the club have been poor, when I asked I was just told “all will be revealed, there is a plan”, what was the secret, and to hear it on an opposing teams news feed is poor ! R/R for the Challenge match makes sense to give our lads practice, but thereafter !!

Went to press & practice today, JB was there to say hello, has a scan on the 16th and wants to be back the next day !! Practice looked good, but it was o an empty track !

It was on the Lions website on the 24th.

6 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

What is a empty track?......

Perhaps means one rider going round with no opposition so it's hard to judge how good they were?

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

Perhaps means one rider going round with no opposition so it's hard to judge how good they were?

Exactly. It's easy to select the correct line when riding solo but not so when there are 3 others trying to do the same. Thought Neil Machin's response to a question concerning the new starting gate procedures was interesting. He said that something had to be done and if things did not improve he would like to see a line drawn on the track to prevent riders moving forward until the race was due to start.

• Like 1

I think the match against Somerset demonstrated how RR is not going to work for the Lions to cover Josh Bates injury break. At home to get 3 points from these rides is not enough 

When you have to cover with the reserves this to me is too much of a risk and a change needs to be made to make the team at full strength 

• Like 3

Barker's too boom or bust. Looking at the away fixtures in particular, Palm Toft looks a decent choice.

Does anyone know why Belle Vue can get Starke as a replacement for injured Drozdz, but we can’t for the injured Josh Bates ?, I am told because Josh hasn’t “yet” ridden for us ?, and the difference is ????

Leicester can have a replacement if they wish but has to be for a minimum of 28days.

The problem is the promotion are being naive and thinking Bates will be fit in mid April yet the guy I saw at Sheffield on Sunday can hardly walk and couldn’t bend down to get into a car looking to be In agony 

Looking at replacement options, with Sarjeant's average now being confirmed as 3.00, a few of people's preferred riders (Bjerre, Klindt, Riss & Barker) would takes us over the 42.5 limit. Palmt Toft would fit and would seem a popular choice. After that, there isn't much out there, maybe Lindgren on a converted average? As has been mentioned our R/R options make us weaker and the management have to be realistic regarding Josh's injury (and put aside family connections). With the efforts gone into team building in the winter, we need to hit the ground running with the strongest possible team for the first competitive fixture. Surely options are being sounded out?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, flagrag said:

I think the match against Somerset demonstrated how RR is not going to work for the Lions to cover Josh Bates injury break. At home to get 3 points from these rides is not enough 

When you have to cover with the reserves this to me is too much of a risk and a change needs to be made to make the team at full strength 

It also confirms what I've always thought that Danny King must not be given a ride in heat 15 especially when the result is at stake.

11 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Looking at replacement options, with Sarjeant's average now being confirmed as 3.00, a few of people's preferred riders (Bjerre, Klindt, Riss & Barker) would takes us over the 42.5 limit. Palmt Toft would fit and would seem a popular choice. After that, there isn't much out there, maybe Lindgren on a converted average? As has been mentioned our R/R options make us weaker and the management have to be realistic regarding Josh's injury (and put aside family connections). With the efforts gone into team building in the winter, we need to hit the ground running with the strongest possible team for the first competitive fixture. Surely options are being sounded out?

Completely agree with you, I think the family loyalty thing might be swaying their decision  regarding a replacement. R/R makes us much weaker ( only 3+1) against Somerset & the match could easily have gone the other way. It is important we get off to a winning start, not only regarding league points, but to keep crowd levels high , the attendance for the Somerset match was pretty good, if they were to lose a couple of matches that would soon drop off. When Josh was interviewed at P&P he said it was the sciatic nerve that was causing problems, not so much the actual fracture & if the scan on the 16th April was clear he hoped to be back on his bike on the 17th. But he his going to be behind other riders in terms of match fitness & with plenty of matches coming up surely a temporary replacement would make more sense. The weather is helping at the minute & if they aren't going to replace, the more postponed matches the better, until Josh is back to full fitness.

If there is a 28 day facility then it is madness not to use it. Rushing back after 17 days and being behind fitness wise or using facility and JB coming back fitter after 28 days . What is best for team is to utilise facility. What is best for JB is to use facility. USE THE FACILITY. Only issue is keeping finances in JB 's pocket.....

• Like 2