British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

On 13/04/2018 at 1:31 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Average too high Bjerre is 8.48, Vaculik just 8

Yeah right

• Like 1

Simple solution . Any rider with an average of 8.00 or above is classed as 8.00 in the averages. Problem solved. You can replace a No 1 without having to disrupt the rest of the team.

So Leicester have gone from having an exciting rider at number one to one of the sports biggest gating tarts. Guess he will do well at Beaumont Lees though!

Feel sorry for MPT. Bjerre had a really good 2017, and proved he still has it. He will do ok and can trap.

We will never know what Vaculik would have produced unfortunately. Although a GP rider, how committed to the UK would he have been in terms of bike priorities for this country? (I think that there will be a few people looking closely at the current World Champion's UK performances this season). My impression is that the management want to make a real go of it this season and today's changes are positive. Sorry to see that MPT has to make way (loved watching Toffy at BP), but we do need an established No.1. Past seasons have shown that so called great signings with no UK experience have not delivered and either jump, get injured or are pushed back to where they came from. If KB has a season like last year, I do not honestly think that MV would have performed better.

With the current race format, it seems that, providing a team is no more than 6 points adrift by Heat 13, you are in with a shout regarding match points if you have some clout with your top two riders. The Lions have fallen away many times at this stage of a meeting in recent times (sorry DK but you seem to bottle it in Heat 15). Kenneth and Hans in 2 out of the last 3 races would seem to be a match for anyone in this league.

I hope the situation regarding Josh Bates is correct, in that team re-shaping is not based around his average when he becomes fit/available and that family connections are put to one side. Nothing against Josh, but if he is in the seven, it has to be on merit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So Leicester have gone from having an exciting rider at number one to one of the sports biggest gating tarts. Guess he will do well at Beaumont Lees though!

Bet you wouldn't have minded him at Poole on weds Steve.

I hope that MPT will be able to return to the team before too long. But there's the chance of course that he's going to be snapped up elsewhere before long. Kurtz looks like a cheap short term filler-in to me, so whilst MPT and Bates are waiting in wings, the pressure stays on King, Newman and Sarjeant and one or even two of those could be removed especially if Pieszczek continues his form. Newman's made a promising start, he had to this year and so if that continues the spotlight will be on King and Sarjeant.

I think the changes make Leicester weaker. 

Palm Toft is better than Todd Kurtz. Martin Vaculik was only getting started and could have been a top No.1

On 4/21/2018 at 11:05 AM, Matt Ford Fan said:

I think the changes make Leicester weaker. 

Martin Vaculik was only getting started and could have been a top No.1

Why state the obvious, we all know that it's why Leicester got him in the first place,.

Dare I say it but wouldn't Lions be better off with Paul Starke ( 5.08 ) now that he has been released by Belle Vue Aces instead of Todd Kurtz (4.02 ) ? Better rider than Kurtz even though Todd Kurtz did ok the other night and it would also mean Kyle Newman would be back at reserve again ...... gotta be a plus plus move hasn't it ?

Cheers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robbobee said:

Dare I say it but wouldn't Lions be better off with Paul Starke ( 5.08 ) now that he has been released by Belle Vue Aces instead of Todd Kurtz (4.02 ) ? Better rider than Kurtz even though Todd Kurtz did ok the other night and it would also mean Kyle Newman would be back at reserve again ...... gotta be a plus plus move hasn't it ?

Cheers

Whilst the numbers fit, and it can be a “cutting” game, it’s usually performance or circumstance to change, not just because PS became available, that is a bot harsh I think ?!