British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

I caught some of a Swedish match yesterday, Bjerre and Andersen were on opposing sides and in second string positions. Was a bit shocked at how mediocre they were, Bjerre very poor from the starts and not competitive, Hans being passed by such as Thomsen and Milik on the first lap as if he was standing still. 

• Like 1

Further to my post a few days ago a bit more information for those interested. First the figures are for league and cup meetings. Second you need to bear in mind that the winning percentages are likely to go down as the Lions have only ridden 3 away matches compared to 6 at home.

Third a bit more information:

Winning percentages home & away:

Andersen H 50% A 20% T 32%

Bjerre H 33% A 17% T 27%

Pieszczek H 48% A 7% T 34%

King H 25% A 13% T 21%

Newman H 16% A 13% T 15%

Serjeant H 14% A 0% T 9%

Kurtz H 12% A 10% T 11%

Last place percentages home & away

Andersen H 0% A 20% T 6%

Bjerre H 25% A 33% T 27%

Pieszczek H 19% A 29% T 24%

King H 13% A 50% T 25%

Newman H 20% A 40% T 28%

Serjeant H 36% A 64% T 45%

Kurtz H 36% A 60% T 43%

Edited by Happy Hunter
  • Like 1

The simple summary is: we are losing away (not getting bonuses), appreciate not many matches but 2 have been a slaughterhouse !. At home we are “just” holding our own and and giving away bonuses. No 2 ways about it, we have a couple of big hitters .... that ain’t !, and the rest are inconsistent !

I personally believe Leicester will come good. 

They won't win the league, not with the current team, but I'm fairly confident they will make the top 4. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, flagrag said:

The crowds at Leicester this year have been good in general but sooner or later they are going to start getting home defeats with home the team performs.

To me the team is one decent rider away from being a good team but it’s so difficult to make that move at the moment and once some riders sitting out of U.K. do want to do meetings it’s too late  

One decent rider away from being a good team? That sounds like Swindon for the first half of last year, and look what happened there!

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

One decent rider away from being a good team? That sounds like Swindon for the first half of last year, and look what happened there!

I'd say they are two away from it

Just out of interest who would Klindt have been replacing? Apologies if it's been covered but didn't see it mentioned. 

Seems like Josh Bates can now be ruled out of the season. Danny King is having to continue with nerve damage which could impair him for the rest of the season. So will the management keep things as they are, or look to bring someone in (e.g. to replace Todd Kurtz)? The scope for UK - based riders looks a bit on the thin side though. But getting Kyle Newman back to reserve has got to be a priority. Will the new averages create any more elbow room?

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Seems like Josh Bates can now be ruled out of the season. Danny King is having to continue with nerve damage which could impair him for the rest of the season. So will the management keep things as they are, or look to bring someone in (e.g. to replace Todd Kurtz)? The scope for UK - based riders looks a bit on the thin side though. But getting Kyle Newman back to reserve has got to be a priority. Will the new averages create any more elbow room?

Last night's meeting was the last before the averages are calculated on the 23rd. So based on those averages( updated on Lions website), if they were to drop Kurtz to get Newman back to reserve, which would seem the obvious thing to do, they would have 6.35 to replace Kurtz. Pieszczek (6.50), Sarjeant(3.00) & Kurtz( 4.02) are all on assessed averages until they've rode 4h & 4a, which won't happen until 4th July. Pieszczek & Sarjeant  are both averaging above those assessed averages( although that will presumably drop when they've done the 4 away meetings), so any changes would probably be best done before they get real averages.

• Like 1

So July aves should be?

Kenneth Bjerre 7.54
Hans Andersen 7.42
Kristian Pieszczek 6.50
Danny King 6.46
Kyle Newman 5.23
Todd Kurtz 4.02
James Sarjeant 3.00
Total 40.17

Leaving 2.33 to strengthen up!

I'd agree Eric Riss or Lasse Bjerre seem best options!

Edited by szkocjasid

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

So July aves should be?

Kenneth Bjerre 7.54
Hans Andersen 7.42
Kristian Pieszczek 6.50
Danny King 6.46
Kyle Newman 5.23
Todd Kurtz 4.02
James Sarjeant 3.00
Total 40.17

Leaving 2.33 to strengthen up!

I'd agree Eric Riss or Lasse Bjerre seem best options!

Yes, that's what I think the averages will be calculated 23rd June with effect 1st July. So taking the obvious decision to get rid of Kurtz to allow Newman to return to reserve it would be 4.02 + 2.33 = 6.35. If you look at last years Premiership average both Riss & Bjerre would fit, but don't they have to go on the most recent average now , which would be this seasons championship average x 1.3.  6.35 x 1.3 is 8.25. So any championship rider up to 8.25 would fit, Riss is 8.11, Bjerre 8.18, at the minute both would fit, but when Julys Championship averages are calculated they maybe too high, depends on their new average.

18 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

Yes, that's what I think the averages will be calculated 23rd June with effect 1st July. So taking the obvious decision to get rid of Kurtz to allow Newman to return to reserve it would be 4.02 + 2.33 = 6.35. If you look at last years Premiership average both Riss & Bjerre would fit, but don't they have to go on the most recent average now , which would be this seasons championship average x 1.3.  6.35 x 1.3 is 8.25. So any championship rider up to 8.25 would fit, Riss is 8.11, Bjerre 8.18, at the minute both would fit, but when Julys Championship averages are calculated they maybe too high, depends on their new average.

Using their most up to date figures they fit, but that will change with matches due to be raced before the cut-off & a 26 match rolling ave replacing the current 28 match rolling ave!

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Using their most up to date figures they fit, but that will change with matches due to be raced before the cut-off & a 26 match rolling ave replacing the current 28 match rolling ave!

Yes, not much leeway, if their averages have improved by 0.15 (Riss) & 0.08 ( Bjerre) they won't fit.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Isnt that the Championship match numbers?

Premiership using 20 and have been from month 1.....

• Like 1