British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

On 6/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, stevethelion said:

Yes, that's what I think the averages will be calculated 23rd June with effect 1st July. So taking the obvious decision to get rid of Kurtz to allow Newman to return to reserve it would be 4.02 + 2.33 = 6.35. If you look at last years Premiership average both Riss & Bjerre would fit, but don't they have to go on the most recent average now , which would be this seasons championship average x 1.3.  6.35 x 1.3 is 8.25. So any championship rider up to 8.25 would fit, Riss is 8.11, Bjerre 8.18, at the minute both would fit, but when Julys Championship averages are calculated they maybe too high, depends on their new average.

I see that Charles Wright who has just been sacked by Somerset has an average of 6.36  but of course that will soon change whether up or down I don't know.

But if he has become a troublemaker I'm not sure he'd be worth it anyway. The Bateses will know best of course with him being at Sheffield this year. I thought Leicester actually treated him quite badly in 2011.

14 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The Bateses will know best of course with him being at Sheffield this year. I thought Leicester actually treated him quite badly in 2011.

That's been a while!  Could you remind us what happened?

21 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I see that Charles Wright who has just been sacked by Somerset has an average of 6.36  but of course that will soon change whether up or down I don't know.

But if he has become a troublemaker I'm not sure he'd be worth it anyway. The Bateses will know best of course with him being at Sheffield this year. I thought Leicester actually treated him quite badly in 2011.

Had just looked at the Somerset website to see if they had any updated rolling averages & the latest average they have for him which was updated on the 13th June is 6.19, so if the figures on the Lions website are the official figures that are used for July averages ( calculated 23/6) , he will fit, if they release Kurtz.

4 hours ago, OldRacer said:

That's been a while!  Could you remind us what happened?

I thought he wasn't given very long to settle and seemed a bit left out in a team spirit sense. He was very young then and perhaps not given enough encouragement. Still, Leicester reserves in those days were not generally treated very well, there was a long list of short tenures. The track was difficult for less experienced riders to master and so they tended to lose confidence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevethelion said:

Had just looked at the Somerset website to see if they had any updated rolling averages & the latest average they have for him which was updated on the 13th June is 6.19, so if the figures on the Lions website are the official figures that are used for July averages ( calculated 23/6) , he will fit, if they release Kurtz.

His average is showing 6.36, and if we release Kurtz we have 5.5 to play with

4 hours ago, Smithchops said:

His average is showing 6.36, and if we release Kurtz we have 5.5 to play with

Wait till Friday!

10 hours ago, Smithchops said:

,His average is showing 6.36, and if we release Kurtz we have 5.5 to play with

That's his official average for June , they all change on 1st July, & are calculated on 23rd of each month. His rolling average according to the Somerset website is now 6.19 , which was updated on the 13th June & he hasn't ridden since. The same applies to Lions, if you go on the website you will see the updated rolling averages, as Lions aren't riding again until the 25th I presume these rolling averages are the ones that will be used from 1st July. Remembering that Pieszczek, Sargeant & Kurtz are on assessed averages until they have done 4h & 4a.So  I think the averages for July will be Bjerre 7.54, Andersen 7.42, Pieszczek 6.50, King 6.46, Newman 5.23, Kurtz 4.02, Sarjeant 3.00, which totals 40.17. If you take Kurtz's 4.02 away it leaves 6.35 to play with. But this doesn't come into effect until 1st July, so any changes using these averages would have to be from then.

Edited by stevethelion

You hear quite a bit this season from tracks up and down the land, that promoters and curators are not putting down enough material according to both spectators and riders preferences. I'm sure it's not everywhere and then there are places like NSS where it's better not to be too deep and grippy.

If one of  Charles Wright's main grouses with Somerset was lack of material on the track, particularly out wide, isn't he likely to find the same problems elsewhere, including at Leicester?

5 hours ago, Big Al said:

You hear quite a bit this season from tracks up and down the land, that promoters and curators are not putting down enough material according to both spectators and riders preferences. I'm sure it's not everywhere and then there are places like NSS where it's better not to be too deep and grippy.

If one of  Charles Wright's main grouses with Somerset was lack of material on the track, particularly out wide, isn't he likely to find the same problems elsewhere, including at Leicester?

Trouble is with riders if you ask 14 riders at a meeting, you'll get 14 wildly different answers... it's probably just best to prepare it to what you know produces the best racing. Listening to Danny King's interview after the Swindon match he said the track was getting better and better each week and is nearly where they want it... but going on the reports of how the racing was at this match it doesn't seem to be how the fans want it

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Trouble is with riders if you ask 14 riders at a meeting, you'll get 14 wildly different answers... it's probably just best to prepare it to what you know produces the best racing. Listening to Danny King's interview after the Swindon match he said the track was getting better and better each week and is nearly where they want it... but going on the reports of how the racing was at this match it doesn't seem to be how the fans want it

I think Danny King seems like a really nice guy, and he normally prefers some deeper stuff out wide but with his gammy arm isn't so keen on it now. Which makes you wonder how his scorings going to affected by it for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

I think Danny King seems like a really nice guy, and he normally prefers some deeper stuff out wide but with his gammy arm isn't so keen on it now. Which makes you wonder how his scorings going to affected by it for the rest of the season.

He's withdrawn from tonight's meeting at Ipswich after 2 rides with his arm injury again, seems like he can't get it right, maybe a rest for a couple of weeks or so is the best thing for him.

11 hours ago, stevethelion said:

He's withdrawn from tonight's meeting at Ipswich after 2 rides with his arm injury again, seems like he can't get it right, maybe a rest for a couple of weeks or so is the best thing for him.

Maybe more than a couple of weeks :(

Hope Danny gets better ... but If we need to replace Danny King - then howabout  Ricky Wells and then Erik Riss to replace Todd Kurtz?

Maybe Lasse Bjerre and Charles Wright ? does that fit ?

On 6/19/2018 at 4:42 PM, stevethelion said:

That's his official average for June , they all change on 1st July, & are calculated on 23rd of each month. His rolling average according to the Somerset website is now 6.19 , which was updated on the 13th June & he hasn't ridden since. The same applies to Lions, if you go on the website you will see the updated rolling averages, as Lions aren't riding again until the 25th I presume these rolling averages are the ones that will be used from 1st July. Remembering that Pieszczek, Sargeant & Kurtz are on assessed averages until they have done 4h & 4a.So  I think the averages for July will be Bjerre 7.54, Andersen 7.42, Pieszczek 6.50, King 6.46, Newman 5.23, Kurtz 4.02, Sarjeant 3.00, which totals 40.17. If you take Kurtz's 4.02 away it leaves 6.35 to play with. But this doesn't come into effect until 1st July, so any changes using these averages would have to be from then.

So what happens if/when Vaculik returns? He was still on assessed 8.00 when he got injured!

Edited by Skidder1