British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

The points limit I think plays a part in the increased turnover because even when an enforced change is made, sometimes two changes have to happen. So in the current situation Sarjeant has probably lost his place for that reason. That is wrong and something should be done which protects the innocent party if he is a Brit.

Apart from that, I think the only change which has been harsh is Newman. Vaculik and Bates never even started, Pqlm Toft was a temporary replacement (again the points limit lead to him not being retained when Bjerre was signed). Leicester reserves now should be Newman and Sarjeant. The 1-5 and the changes to it are mainly legacy of injuries to Vaculik, Bates and King.

I recall in the 1970's White City going the whole season (and winning the league) using r/r for Dag Lovaas, Wolves doing something similar with a rider who never materialised (Johansson?), and Leicester in 1976 so shorn of riders that at Swindon they had 6 guests plus Doug Underwood. Then in the Rogers era there was quite a bit more coming and going - I think that Husczca came and went a few times. In fact you can also put the higher rider turnover down to the massive increase in use of foreign riders.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Big Al said:

I recall in the 1970's White City going the whole season (and winning the league) using r/r for Dag Lovaas, Wolves doing something similar with a rider who never materialised (Johansson?),

Hull did something similar in the Boulevard days with Egon Muller 

1 hour ago, hulvik said:

In 1990 Poole rode most of the season with r/r for Tom Knudsen who broke his leg at Berwick and went on to win the National League and cup double.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

The points limit I think plays a part in the increased turnover because even when an enforced change is made, sometimes two changes have to happen. So in the current situation Sarjeant has probably lost his place for that reason. That is wrong and something should be done which protects the innocent party if he is a Brit.

I think it's all down to the play offs Big Al, If PO's weren't in operation I suspect there wouldn't have been so many changes, if any at all

So does anybody know when the 2018 Leicester press & practice, and meet the riders event is happening?

• Haha 3

Although I have heard that from now until the end of the season, only one piece of music will be played at Beaumont Park.

Rip it up and Start Again, by Orange Juice

I think that if you carried out a survey of supporters you would find that the majority wanted a winning team and not to be beaten or run close week in week out. 

If Leicester had managed to keep the original 1 to 7 riders then we would have easily made the playoffs. Promoters really can't win. People moan if changes are made, people moan if changes aren't made. In fact, people moan full stop.   If we had kept the team, as it was, against Kings Lynn we would be bottom again come the season's end. 

I'm not saying we will make the playoffs with the changes, but we have more of a chance of collecting some much-needed points. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LionsDen said:

7 men make up a speedway team and yet just 4 months into the season, that's now 16 names on the Lions team sheet. Even allowing for the unfortunate injuries, that's quite a roll call...
Martin Vaculik
Josh Bates
Danny King
Krystian Pieszczek
Hans Andersen
Kyle Newman
James Sarjeant
Michael Palm Toft
Kenneth Bjerre
Todd Kurtz
Ricky Wells
Charles Wright
Scott Nicholls
Josh Auty
Stuart Robson
Connor Mountain

A very long time ago (1969) Leicester Lions used the same 7 riders all season. We probably didn't realise it at the time but christ, those were the days. Even the odd change at reserve was greeted with a raised eyebrow and a visit to the track shop proudly showed photos of the riders that you'd be cheering on all season.

Given the 'hire em fire em' culture of modern speedway it's easy to see why Matt Ford did away with team kevlars at Poole this season. Suprised any of them bother. The thing that bothers me, especially after reading the comments on the various Leicester Speedway Facebook pages, is that the fans now appear to have adopted the same mercenary standpoint taken by the promoters. It's become the norm and multiple changes are cheered. I think that's sad for speedway.

I always used to think, and probably the main reason I became a fan as a young boy, speedway was superior to other motor sports because it somehow managed to embrace the 'team' ethic. You identified with the guys wearing your club's colours at your local track. They may as well just run individual meetings each week for all the value the word 'team' has these days.

1969 was that the year the American Dewayne Keeter had his one and only season in Britain.?

18 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

All meetings wouldve been used

Thanks for that info, doesn't seem a fair way to do it. With the disproportion in home meetings to away ( 9h/ 4a) it could make for an unrealistic average , which is surely not the idea.

17 hours ago, Big Al said:

Apart from that, I think the only change which has been harsh is Newman. Vaculik and Bates never even started, Pqlm Toft was a temporary replacement (again the points limit lead to him not being retained when Bjerre was signed). Leicester reserves now should be Newman and Sarjeant. The 1-5 and the changes to it are mainly legacy of injuries to Vaculik, Bates and King.

I recall in the 1970's White City going the whole season (and winning the league) using r/r for Dag Lovaas, Wolves doing something similar with a rider who never materialised (Johansson?), and Leicester in 1976 so shorn of riders that at Swindon they had 6 guests plus Doug Underwood. Then in the Rogers era there was quite a bit more coming and going - I think that Husczca came and went a few times. In fact you can also put the higher rider turnover down to the massive increase in use of foreign riders.

Agree with you about Newman, he shouldn't have been released, I think they tried to hide behind the fact he was injured, but that was only  a short-term injury & he was back riding the week after. Like you say if he hadn't been released he would now be at reserve with Sarjeant, the 2 riders who were meant to start the season at reserve, but hardly got the opportunity too because of Bates injury. ( Newman / Sarjeant) seems stronger than ( Robson / Mountain).

22 hours ago, LionsDen said:

7 men make up a speedway team and yet just 4 months into the season, that's now 16 names on the Lions team sheet. Even allowing for the unfortunate injuries, that's quite a roll call...
Martin Vaculik
Josh Bates
Danny King
Krystian Pieszczek
Hans Andersen
Kyle Newman
James Sarjeant
Michael Palm Toft
Kenneth Bjerre
Todd Kurtz
Ricky Wells
Charles Wright
Scott Nicholls
Josh Auty
Stuart Robson
Connor Mountain

A very long time ago (1969) Leicester Lions used the same 7 riders all season. We probably didn't realise it at the time but christ, those were the days. Even the odd change at reserve was greeted with a raised eyebrow and a visit to the track shop proudly showed photos of the riders that you'd be cheering on all season.

Given the 'hire em fire em' culture of modern speedway it's easy to see why Matt Ford did away with team kevlars at Poole this season. Suprised any of them bother. The thing that bothers me, especially after reading the comments on the various Leicester Speedway Facebook pages, is that the fans now appear to have adopted the same mercenary standpoint taken by the promoters. It's become the norm and multiple changes are cheered. I think that's sad for speedway.

I always used to think, and probably the main reason I became a fan as a young boy, speedway was superior to other motor sports because it somehow managed to embrace the 'team' ethic. You identified with the guys wearing your club's colours at your local track. They may as well just run individual meetings each week for all the value the word 'team' has these days.

Speak for yourself, only injury has forced us to change our team.... 

29 minutes ago, Trees said:

Speak for yourself, only injury has forced us to change our team.... 

That list makes the Pirates look loyal ;)

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

1969 was that the year the American Dewayne Keeter had his one and only season in Britain.?

Yes ~ he decided to stay in the USA in 1970. Strange really as his first season in the UK had been very successful.

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes ~ he decided to stay in the USA in 1970. Strange really as his first season in the UK had been very successful.

Yes... but the UK was grim in the 70's

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Yes... but the UK was grim in the 70's

What, the 70s, when you could leave your house and car unlocked and no one burgled you?

When you knew your neighbours?

When you had to dial your TV like cracking a safe to change channel?

When petrol cost 30p a gallon, not £6?

Ah, the seventies ..... 

Edited by DC2
  • Like 2