British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

Leicester needed someone like Scott Nicholls when they went into the Elite League, but better late than never I suppose. He is definitely a rider with the skill level needed for that track, and has not lost his enthusiasm for racing and isn't scared to go for a small gap to try and pass. He probably won't average more than 7.5 overall, but what he will bring is some much-needed personality to the team, something which I think was badly lacking although Hans does provide some of that. Danny Ayres would have been an even bigger boost in that respect, but good luck to Connor Mountain and hope he can transfer his form from the Coventry setup.

• Like 1

On 20 July 2018 at 12:24 PM, Sidney the robin said:

1969 was that the year the American Dewayne Keeter had his one and only season in Britain.?

I remember him.......he was tragically injured in a crash dying 2 days later riding in California...........he was only 30 at the time.

46 minutes ago, mrcts said:

I remember him.......he was tragically injured in a crash dying 2 days later riding in California...........he was only 30 at the time.

He had a very good debut season here averaging nearly five points a meeting that was when the tracks in this Country were varied.He carried on riding in the States did well at dirt track but unfortunately was killed in 1975 at Ascot Park aged only 30.   RIP

After the drubbing by Poole, its difficult to see where the Lions go next. The loss margin was unexpected, although the team rallied in the second half, it was way too late. How can Auty with a 9+ championship average have such a bad meeting. Was it that the new guys weren't used to the track, though they've all ridden it before? Can anyone who attended add an explanation? It may have been that the Poole team is getting charged up and just wanted it more. 

Could have started a new thread "Leicester team changes" but I suppose this will do.

So how do the changes rate? These are not direct like for like changes, but I think they're approx:

Nicholls for Bjerre :.      Nicholls all day long, he's a racer

Wells for King :        At the start I thought no doubts Wells, and is probably still just shading it for me

Wright for Newman:. Even though CW isn't having a great impact, he is still far better if you're looking at the 1-5 

Auty for Peiszczek.  :. Needed Auty to contribute immediately but hasn't. KP could win races sometimes, Auty can't.

Robson for Kurtz.  :   No brainer, for me, Robbo better

Mountain for Sarjeant :  Sarj had to be sacrificed due to numbers and Mountain is no improvement. I'd have had Ayres.

So I make that 4-2 in favour of the changes. So why no improvement in results?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

I think that is perhaps a question a lot of people are asking themselves. The obvious answer, is they aren't good enough. 

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Could have started a new thread "Leicester team changes" but I suppose this will do.

So how do the changes rate? These are not direct like for like changes, but I think they're approx:

Nicholls for Bjerre :.      Nicholls all day long, he's a racer

Wells for King :        At the start I thought no doubts Wells, and is probably still just shading it for me

Wright for Newman:. Even though CW isn't having a great impact, he is still far better if you're looking at the 1-5 

Auty for Peiszczek.  :. Needed Auty to contribute immediately but hasn't. KP could win races sometimes, Auty can't.

Robson for Kurtz.  :   No brainer, for me, Robbo better

Mountain for Sarjeant :  Sarj had to be sacrificed due to numbers and Mountain is no improvement. I'd have had Ayres.

Lions have the wrong reserves.

They should go back to Newman & Sarjeant (assuming fit and available) i.e. the original reserve pairing intended for start of the year

Stats show that Lions would have heats with more race wins and fewer last places than current with these two.

Many changing 1-5 's into 3-3's which is as good as a heat advantage by comparison.

Edited by 1 valve

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

They should go back to Newman & Sarjeant (assuming fit and available) i.e. the original reserve pairing intended for start of the year

Stats show that Lions would have heats with more race wins and fewer last places than current with these two.

Many changing 1-5 's into 3-3's which is as good as a heat advantage by comparison.

Newman looked crocked on the gogglebox last night. Struggled badly with the grip. Is Danny King anywhere near being available again? It's only rearranging the deck chairs now, though isn't it??

1 minute ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Newman looked crocked on the gogglebox last night. Struggled badly with the grip. Is Danny King anywhere near being available again? It's only rearranging the deck chairs now, though isn't it??

Danny very unlikely to ride again this season

https://ipswichwitches.co/no-immediate-return-for-king/

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
Link added

3 hours ago, 1 valve said:

New averages effective from tomorrow now put Auty at reserve. Serjeant could indeed come back in & we’d still have 1 point to play with overall. Charles Wright was only signed as a 28 day replacement for Danny King so that must be about to end too?.

The idea of even more changes though seems almost absurd. We’ve used that many riders we look more like a chuffin’ rugby union team than a speedway team.

1 hour ago, Mr Bump said:

New averages effective from tomorrow now put Auty at reserve. Serjeant could indeed come back in & we’d still have 1 point to play with overall. Charles Wright was only signed as a 28 day replacement for Danny King so that must be about to end too?.

The idea of even more changes though seems almost absurd. We’ve used that many riders we look more like a chuffin’ rugby union team than a speedway team.

Don't think you can bring back riders you have released in the same season, unless they are  returning from injury & covered by 28 day signing, so pretty sure Sarjeant can't be re-introduced.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

Don't think you can bring back riders you have released in the same season, unless they are  returning from injury & covered by 28 day signing, so pretty sure Sarjeant can't be re-introduced.

After being kicked out would he want to return?

2 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Getting Auty at reserve should be a good move. Never looked capable in the top flight main team.

Some bit of good news for the Lions.

Unfortunately, Auty moving to reserve has probably happened 3 matches too late. If Robbo, Wright and Wells can perform more in line with their CL averages, and possibly James Shanes at 7, it might bring a brighter end to the season.

4 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

As Danny won't be riding again this season we can keep Charles can't we? Don't fancy any more changes with only 3 home matches left and as we'll perhaps be bottom of the league by the end of next week it's not really worth it now. Just hope the remaining matches don't completely destroy the confidence of Connor Mountain as I think it's a season or two too early for him to be riding in the Premier League.