British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

Green helmet colour coming back instead of the white one. Also, R/R will now wear a mauve helmet colour. The yellow and black helmet colour is also now going to be yellow, black, yellow, black.... instead of yellow, black, yellow. Also, rider numbers will now be displayed in Roman Numerals, in Times New Roman Font... Any rider not complying will be fined £100 and a point added to his/her average for each non compliance.... 

Edited by Shale Searcher
Typo

5 hours ago, Shale Searcher said:

Green helmet colour coming back instead of the white one. Also, R/R will now wear a mauve helmet colour. The yellow and black helmet colour is also now going to be yellow, black, yellow, black.... instead of yellow, black, yellow. Also, rider numbers will now be displayed in Roman Numerals, in Times New Roman Font... Any rider not complying will be fined £100 and a point added to his/her average for each non compliance.... 

Not so sure about the green helmet colour but I think the yellow black yellow idea as opposed to the current black yellow black may be the right marketing strategy to catapult the sport from minority to mainstream status and bring the missing thousands back through the gate. Perhaps mauve for R/R and guests, keeping the red, blue, white, Y/B colours in case riders in a teams official 1 to 7 declaration are by chance available and not riding in Poland/Sweden/Denmark on that night.

11 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Not so sure about the green helmet colour but I think the yellow black yellow idea as opposed to the current black yellow black may be the right marketing strategy to catapult the sport from minority to mainstream status and bring the missing thousands back through the gate. Perhaps mauve for R/R and guests, keeping the red, blue, white, Y/B colours in case riders in a teams official 1 to 7 declaration are by chance available and not riding in Poland/Sweden/Denmark on that night.

I go along with that especially the part about R / B / W /YB being reserved for any riders from the official 1 -7 declaration who might be available. This also fits in with the gender self-identification concept in society today. This could lead to a way back to having at least one female rider in the team. This could really bring in new fans. Later they could bring in other gender labels so that the rainbow effect can be fully appreciated. This would also give supporters who might feel that time is dragging between heats a lot more work in filling in programmes or scorecards. With a prize for the only correctly filled in one.

Why not take a leaf out of cycling's book and have pursuit races? Tapes on both sides of the track with individual and team pursuit races - would probably reduce the number of accidents and so make it safer for everyone. Or how about the rider who is last at the end of each lap having to drop out. That would stop riders like Bomber Harris sneaking wins on the line! As well if we had two sets of tapes on opposite sides of the track we could start the even number heats from one side and the odd numbered heats from the other side. What about handicap racing? I can remember seeing this in the days of Moore, Briggs, Fundin etc. Gating tarts to start from 15 metres.

I watched a 20-20 cricket match on television the other night and noticed a full house youngsters families etc why can't speedway come up with something similar  cricket was dead until they came up with this?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

I watched a 20-20 cricket match on television the other night and noticed a full house youngsters families etc why can't speedway come up with something similar  cricket was dead until they came up with this?

They should. But to do so. Clubs need to provide seats for everybody and/or  good clean open spaces with quality views. And pricing for 2 adults 3 kids @ £37.00   To be fair to the Lions they do better than that for the last bit. £34.00 cuz kids are free. 

Big difference is that 20/20 is well promoted at both national and local levels n

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booey boy said:

Cricket was selling out international matches with crowds of 10,000+ before T20 was invented and has always attracted  plenty of media attention. It certainly wasn't dead even at county level.

• Like 1

i love the 20-20 on  sky,and comes over even on telly as great family nite out,i also was thinking what speedway could take from it,a grand if you catch a ball at the oval,free holiday given at trent bridge,kiss cam all brilliant but wouldnt transfer to speedway,one simple and cheap thing that would is the music, they play great music at the t20,at poole its invariably rubbish(at least matt stopped the silly marching band stuff,starry was the only one in the stadium who liked it!)suggest they watch a 20-20 note the tunes and play the same tracks as riders approach tapes and after the race

52 minutes ago, poole keith said:

i love the 20-20 on  sky,and comes over even on telly as great family nite out,i also was thinking what speedway could take from it,a grand if you catch a ball at the oval,free holiday given at trent bridge,kiss cam all brilliant but wouldnt transfer to speedway,one simple and cheap thing that would is the music, they play great music at the t20,at poole its invariably rubbish(at least matt stopped the silly marching band stuff,starry was the only one in the stadium who liked it!)suggest they watch a 20-20 note the tunes and play the same tracks as riders approach tapes and after the race

I think speedway comes over quite well on telly, because they fill the gaps between heats with interviews, analysis, replays, etc., while if you're at a meeting you get dodgy PAs, dire music (usually the same tunes every week), tractors circling the track, occasional inaudible/daft interviews, etc. The racing is always going to be the most important thing about speedway, but the whole two hours or so that a meeting takes could be a  much better experience with a little effort. I think the other thing about 20-20 is they saw a need to appeal beyond the traditional cricket audience and came up with a product that would have a different appeal, and that meant not just doing things the way they've always been done, which speedway seems to struggle with.  It would cost money, but a big screen showing heat line-ups, results, replays, interviews, etc. would keep the interest going between heats - just needs someone clued up enough to work out how to get more people in to meetings to make it pay.

Yes, what is it with the music that's played at most stadiums?  They must have the right license to play music to the public so surely that means they can play anything they want?  Why is it the same stuff each week?

Neil at Belle Vue is excellent with his pre race tunes and depending on what happened in the heat he often picks a tune to reflect it. 

Although some people make money from Speedway meetings, the vast majority are volunteers. Keen enthusiasts who love the sport, without them there would be no speedway in the UK. 

All though it is fine to use volunteers as track staff, turnstiles operators etc. When it comes to the presentation side of a meeting to give a smooth, professionally presented event. You get what you pay for. .................... and in the case of Speedway , that is fairly evident. 

Having followed the Lions since the mid 70s I cannot recall a season where a team with realistic hopes/expectations have nose dived towards the familiar wooden spoon within a couple of months.

It seems like consecutive 5-1s against have become something of an ailment that we cannot shake off. The most encouraging thing I have read lately is Simon Stead's reference to performances and team places for next season. The fact that there may be a next season in the current speedway climate is something to look forward to.

I say draw a line under 2018 and do whatever is necessary between now and September to keep the club on a sound financial footing. I have admired the management's efforts to change fortunes with rider changes, but I think that they have to hold their hand up and admit that the current line up is the weaker than ever.

Most supporters are now waiting for next season and are not that bothered about further changes (although the season is probably now at cut off point for changes) in a desperate attempt to avoid the basement position.

52 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Having followed the Lions since the mid 70s I cannot recall a season where a team with realistic hopes/expectations have nose dived towards the familiar wooden spoon within a couple of months.

It seems like consecutive 5-1s against have become something of an ailment that we cannot shake off. The most encouraging thing I have read lately is Simon Stead's reference to performances and team places for next season. The fact that there may be a next season in the current speedway climate is something to look forward to.

I say draw a line under 2018 and do whatever is necessary between now and September to keep the club on a sound financial footing. I have admired the management's efforts to change fortunes with rider changes, but I think that they have to hold their hand up and admit that the current line up is the weaker than ever.

Most supporters are now waiting for next season and are not that bothered about further changes (although the season is probably now at cut off point for changes) in a desperate attempt to avoid the basement position.

The changes were not for the better, it was clear to many that they actually weakened the team....

• Like 1