British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

I think it was the first week in November last year

Oh, so it's taken place - what's been decided then?

Oh, so it's taken place - what's been decided then?

Hard to know if you're joking or not as I'm a bit thick but I think he was just saying that last year it was the first week of November so that's when it will probably be this year. :wink:

• Like 1

Hard to know if you're joking or not as I'm a bit thick but I think he was just saying that last year it was the first week of November so that's when it will probably be this year. :wink:

Reading the kings Lynn Forum I am hearing the AGM is on about 18th Nov and in Tenerife .......

How true that is I don't know but nothing would surprise me. Maybe they expect some Sunshine to inspire them as we sure need inspiring after the mess of this season.

I don't mean either Swindon/Wolverhampton or Belle Vue who were the few shining lights.

The continued and increased sponsorship by JCB is excellent and will help move the club forward both on and off track.

It is going to be an exciting and interesting winter for Leicester fans with track work set to take place to bends 3 & 4 to create more lines and to take out some of the bumps that have appeared over the season.

From what I got told last night Leicester have 3 riders names that they are keen to have and opened initial discussions with.

Obviously not a lot can be confirmed until after the conference but the club have set a top priority of getting the No1 sorted as they realise this is where Leicester have struggled for the last couple of seasons. The have two good no2 and then good support riders in mind.

I take it that the track alterations are in addition to those carried out by Glyn on bends 3 & 4 during the winter of 2015/2016.

:wink:

• Like 1

I hope the Lions promoters have given up on thinking Saturday night is the right night for speedway in Leicester.

I hope the Lions promoters have given up on thinking Saturday night is the right night for speedway in Leicester.

It will be Monday or Thursday if the rumours are true about fixed nights for the top flight.

• Like 1

It will be Monday or Thursday if the rumours are true about fixed nights for the top flight.

Great! Shopping centre car park almost full like it was for the last Monday meeting and a lot of children not allowed to go because of school the next day. Yes I know......blah blah......other teams manage okay riding midweek but do they get the amount of children there that are always at the Leicester meetings? I doubt it.

Gemini- There isn't that many children at Leicester compared to other tracks and Saturday just don't work for the riders and will only be worse next season even if club went down to Championship as more and more riders are getting Polish contracts even the likes of Erik Riss and Lasse have indicated that would not been keen to be at Leicester on a Saturday and away clubs have problems getting their top riders

• Like 1

Will the landlord be happy with that?

Gemini- There isn't that many children at Leicester compared to other tracks and Saturday just don't work for the riders and will only be worse next season even if club went down to Championship as more and more riders are getting Polish contracts even the likes of Erik Riss and Lasse have indicated that would not been keen to be at Leicester on a Saturday and away clubs have problems getting their top riders

Okay fair enough. Perhaps it just seems that way because there are a lot where I am on the 4th bend. I suppose we're all doomed then if the Monday/Thursday nights go ahead as I really can't see the attendances being as good as on a Saturday. Same with Peterborough the other track I attend when they have Sunday meetings and the attendance always seems pretty good. I know Tuesday's was a disaster. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens as we lurch from one problematic season to another. :neutral:

Will the landlord be happy with that?

so long as he receives the correct lease payments why not?

Okay fair enough. Perhaps it just seems that way because there are a lot where I am on the 4th bend. I suppose we're all doomed then if the Monday/Thursday nights go ahead as I really can't see the attendances being as good as on a Saturday. Same with Peterborough the other track I attend when they have Sunday meetings and the attendance always seems pretty good. I know Tuesday's was a disaster. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens as we lurch from one problematic season to another. :neutral:

So what's the solution?

Drop a league. Continue on a Saturday. Poor team, people moaning about the quality of speedway for their money, attendance dropping. Or

Monday/Thursday night in the top league. Decent riders, poor attendance.

Speedways doomed!!!!!

Personally, I don't think the crowds will be that bad, especially if British speedway can entice some of the big names back and Leicester can get a winning team.

The tracks good, with further improvements promised.

What could go wrong?

Oh yes, BSPA!!

Edited by Honey Monster
  • Like 1

Kim Nilsson has signed to ride again for Vagarna in the Swedish 2nd tier next year. I believe they race on Thursdays, which would make it tricky for him to fit in with us next season if this fixed race night thing actually happens?

so long as he receives the correct lease payments why not?

I think a rumour which appeared on here during last winter claimed that landlord Mr Hemsley would not enter into a lease for speedway unless the main race night was Saturdays, and it was in the highest level league.

Of course even if there was any truth in the rumour, the actual terms of the lease agreement struck with the new owners of Leicester Speedway will be in confidence.

Kim Nilsson has signed to ride again for Vagarna in the Swedish 2nd tier next year. I believe they race on Thursdays, which would make it tricky for him to fit in with us next season if this fixed race night thing actually happens?

Sometimes the more "senior" level Swedish riders sign with a second tier club, but only ride for them very occasionally.